Can you mix in headphones?

Yeah this is the plug in i was thinking off:

[url=http://www.112db.com/redline/monitor/]http://www.112db.com/redline/monitor/[/url]

You can. But there are pitfalls…

First off, their frequency response at low and high frequencies are shocccckking. The result. You end up boosting these areas to get what you perceive to be a natural response…when infact it’s not at all. This is key for two reasons. The overall tone of your track will be wrong…and due to the excessive energy you’ve pushed into these areas…It will effect your compression,limiting and general mastering ability. You cannot push it as loud, because you’re audio signal is closer to the red then it should be.

Secondly, their response is not constant. The way they sit on your head and seal your ear canal does impact on how they sound. Researchers are now suggesting that the sealing of the area outside your ear canal affects the air pressure within the canal. Which in turns impacts on the way you hear. This includes changing the resonance of your ears. Each time you put your headphones on they will fit slightly differently. Meaning that they affect your hearing slightly differently.

Thirdly, Spatial effects are inaccurate, because they are kept completely separate from each other. The lack of cross delayed signals is an artificial environment. And even plugins that simulate the effect are only 1/2 effective…because their isn’t a set delay time. Factors like the shape of your head, position of your ears and nose, the physical location and distance of the sound source…mean that simulation plugins aren’t really effective. They work to the rule that the delay is roughly 60ms, when in truth it it could be a lot less or a bit more…

I myself work with Headphones a lot. And yes, they are good for hearing detail. They avoid issues with coloration caused by poor room acoustics. My point is that whatever you’re working and listening to…should be played on another system to check that it translates well.

[quote]EdwardRyan (25/08/2010)[hr]I myself work with Headphones a lot. And yes, they are good for hearing detail. They avoid issues with coloration caused by poor room acoustics. My point is that whatever you’re working and listening to…should be played on another system to check that it translates well.

[/quote]

Totally agree here, I have a 6 month and moaning neighbours so after 9 pm, headphones, or maybe if i want to check something i’ll turn the speakers up a just a little :wink: (but not to much). Luckily I have a dedicated studio/office.

I think the key however for all us budding producers is… yep you guessed it… DONT HAVE KIDS! Bag up! hehe

When I’m done I also check the next day (as I’m up till like 3am) or whenever throught my monitors, headphones, hifi, ipod hifi, ipod headphones and my car system to ensure all is well. I havent found the need to go back and change anything on my latest tune so I guess my monitors & headphone combo are doing there job well. Only had them for a short time, a month may be (monitors) so good practice to get your ear in tune to them I think.

[quote]simon-s (25/08/2010)[hr]With the birth of my son 5 months ago, the days are gone when I can crank up my studio monitors to listen properly to my mixes. These days I’m having to mix through headphones during the early hours of the morning…

I treated myself to a pair of Sennheiser HD 650 audiophile headphones which sound unbelievably clear so…I know most people say you should never mix using headphones, but is this still the case if you have really good quality audiophile phones?

[/quote]

I do the same thing. Early morning, listen through headphones (Sennheiser HD 595), then come noon, the monitors and subwoofer come on (and many trips to the car) so I can hear how everything really sounds.

You’ve got great headphones so just as long as you don’t listen at high levels for too long, you’ll be able to take advantage of them in the early morn.

Because I can’t plug my headphones into my Audiophile internal soundcard the only way I can listen through my headphones is if i extract the file, load up the .wav to a USB key and play it through one of my CDJ 2000s which feeds to mixer and then through my headphones.

It’s not ideal really but i just use it at the end using 2 different headphones to see what it sounds like through that, as well as other systems.

I think I need to get an audio interface really lol, would be nice to be able to produce after 10pm, but i can’t because my housemate goes to bed then.

[quote]roben (26/08/2010)[hr]Because I can’t plug my headphones into my Audiophile internal soundcard the only way I can listen through my headphones is if i extract the file, load up the .wav to a USB key and play it through one of my CDJ 2000s which feeds to mixer and then through my headphones.

It’s not ideal really but i just use it at the end using 2 different headphones to see what it sounds like through that, as well as other systems.

I think I need to get an audio interface really lol, would be nice to be able to produce after 10pm, but i can’t because my housemate goes to bed then.[/quote]

crazy idea Roben…plug your soundcard to the mixer :stuck_out_tongue: