Can you mix in headphones?

With the birth of my son 5 months ago, the days are gone when I can crank up my studio monitors to listen properly to my mixes. These days I’m having to mix through headphones during the early hours of the morning…

I treated myself to a pair of Sennheiser HD 650 audiophile headphones which sound unbelievably clear so…I know most people say you should never mix using headphones, but is this still the case if you have really good quality audiophile phones?

100% yes

Most of my tunes are mixed on my bayerdynamic dt 990 pro’s.

Thats great to know…I’ve been checking out a few of your tracks on soundcloud, loving your work :wink:

[quote]onetwoseven (25/08/2010)[hr]100% yes

[/quote]

Are all of your tunes made using software only or do you use hardware synths etc too?

I’d be interested to know what you’re using for the bass in a lot of your tracks.

Cheers.

You can, but bear in mind that you hear music through headphones differently than you would through speakers.

This is because you don’t get ‘bleed’ through headphones, what will mostly come out the left speaker for instance wont be picked up by the right ear, however through speakers it would.

So the listening ‘experience’ is different.

There is a plug in out there i’ve seen once before that can ‘replicate’ bleed for you through your headphones, but can’t remember what it’s called now, sorry.

can you do it, yes. but it would be a good idea to use both.

[quote]simon-s (25/08/2010)[hr][quote]onetwoseven (25/08/2010)[hr]100% yes

[/quote]

Are all of your tunes made using software only or do you use hardware synths etc too?

I’d be interested to know what you’re using for the bass in a lot of your tracks.

Cheers.[/quote]

Yeah its all software. I do have a synth tho, I sometimes record samples from it but not often.

For basses I always use samples. I get a lot of them from packs but sometimes I’ll make a bass in sylenth and sample that. Reason I do that is coz you can then change the start point of the sample and come up with some interesting sounds.

[quote]howiegroove (25/08/2010)[hr]can you do it, yes. but it would be a good idea to use both.[/quote]

Yeah. I do use headphones a lot but I’d never send a track to a label that I haven’t checked on monitors.

[quote]simon-s (25/08/2010)[hr]With the birth of my son 5 months ago, the days are gone when I can crank up my studio monitors to listen properly to my mixes. These days I’m having to mix through headphones during the early hours of the morning…

[/quote]

I feel your pain.

Headphones can be great for hearing unwanted noise and rumbles from certain elements in à track that you wont hear on à pair of monitors.

[quote]graham ginty (25/08/2010)[hr][quote]simon-s (25/08/2010)[hr]With the birth of my son 5 months ago, the days are gone when I can crank up my studio monitors to listen properly to my mixes. These days I’m having to mix through headphones during the early hours of the morning…

[/quote]

I feel your pain.[/quote]

Feeling the pain too lads!

I tend to use a mixture of both myself, I find my headphones are better for picking up things like distortion on kicks more the my monitors. If I can get a good balance on everthing throught both it seems to give the best results.

I am on headphones only but waiting for the nice people at EDF to hurry up and give me my overpayment back so I can purchase a pair of KRK RP5 ROKIT G2

[quote]jjdejong0 (25/08/2010)[hr]Headphones can be great for hearing unwanted noise and rumbles from certain elements in à track that you wont hear on à pair of monitors.[/quote]

agree.

ive got a 2 year old so after 9 o’clock, out come the headphones.

i think its actually quite neccessary to use them as well as monitors.

ya can hear every sound perfect and crystal clear right in your ears.

personally i think there good for a mixdown

I’ve given up making Music. Same situation as all of ye! 

I’m currently designing a Time Machine…

Give yiz all a go on it when its made :wink:

I think a mix of both is best. But if you have high quality headphones then I don’t see why u cant do most of you’re mixing on them. I know Laidback Luke does most of his mixing on headphones.

I mix exclusively on headphones…check the 112db Monitor for dealing with mentioned above problems with Stereo image, it comes with 60 days demo.

[url=http://www.112db.com/redline/monitor/]http://www.112db.com/redline/monitor/[/url]

My little boy is almost nine months old now so I’ve taken to headphones too, with the odd day through the speakers when he is out with mum for a few hours. I’m using Beyerdynamics and think they’re pretty good. They work for me.

[quote]roben (25/08/2010)[hr]You can, but bear in mind that you hear music through headphones differently than you would through speakers.

This is because you don’t get ‘bleed’ through headphones, what will mostly come out the left speaker for instance wont be picked up by the right ear, however through speakers it would.

There is a plug in out there i’ve seen once before that can ‘replicate’ bleed for you through your headphones, but can’t remember what it’s called now, sorry.[/quote]

Roben, I know focusrite has a Virtual Monitoring Reference program that is used for mixing with headphones, but I haven’t seen it anywhere else.

Here’s the link: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SaffPro24DSP/

I have always been told this is a big no no. Using your headphones (and other speaker setups such as cars, ipod etc.) should be when you have your mix where you think it should be with your monitors and use them to check out how it sounds on the different mediums that normal consumers would listen to it on. Also, I’ve been told that you really shouldn’t be cranking your monitors to mix with. You can find more artifacts at the lower levels (this is hard for me too because I love to sit back and crank it up for fun).

I’m on headphones as well guys as i’m married and also have a 2 year old daughter. Feeling the pain gone are the days of pumping tunes oh and also the time to make the tunes LOL!!!:slight_smile:

[quote]jbachjr78 (25/08/2010)[hr][quote]roben (25/08/2010)[hr]You can, but bear in mind that you hear music through headphones differently than you would through speakers.

There is a plug in out there i’ve seen once before that can ‘replicate’ bleed for you through your headphones, but can’t remember what it’s called now, sorry.[/quote]

Roben, I know focusrite has a Virtual Monitoring Reference program that is used for mixingwith headphones, but I haven’t seen it anywhere else.

Here’s the link: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SaffPro24DSP/

I have always been told this is a big no no. Using your headphones (and other speaker setups such as cars, ipod etc.) should be when you have your mix where you think it should be with your monitors and use them to check out how it sounds on the different mediums that normal consumers would listen to it on. Also, I’ve been told that you really shouldn’t be cranking your monitors to mix with. You can find moreartifacts at the lower levels (this is hard for me too because I love to sit back and crank it up for fun).[/quote]

are my posts invisible or something :stuck_out_tongue: