Can't see the sounds for samples!

As part of my journey with music production, I like everyone have a mountain of samples and sounds from every genre clogging up my hard drives!

Would be interested to see how everyone goes about organising their sounds … mine are an absolute mess!!! :w00t:

I would love to get some ideas on how to tackle this mess and transform it into a well polished library of audio inspiration!! :cool:

I’d say start with going through your Kicks - Make a pack of the best ones, and so on - for all the different elements that you normally use.

What type of sounds do you like - use that as a measure of what to choose.

I nearly always choose the same-ish sounds.

You could go back into the tracks that you’ve already made & see what samples you used & throw them in if you think any are good.

I’ve got a couple of little packs of kicks & claps & hats that I use, that I made. But sometimes its nice to literally “find” a sound for the 1st time in a pack that you dont normally use.

I go through phases of what I use. Its nice to get organised - but I’d say you’ll probably just go sample surfing again eventually.

Once I organised my whole library… into 24bit samples. Divided all up into KICK - every sample packs kicks. HATS OPEN - every sample packs Hats open etc… you get the idea I’m sure. Still had all the originals - but thought it would be handy.

Never used it. LOL

Now I just have my saved Drumkits with banks of cool Kicks / claps etc… I use them. Anything else - I go hunting in my HD.

I have kind of committed myself to starting a ‘goto’ percussion folder kicks, hats, claps & snares, toms, rims, etc etc! … never really been good at being organised! Maybe the best way to create something fresh and unique everytime is not having a folder you keep going to and like you say, go hunting! Or maybe a healthy balance of the two! Aarrggh :w00t:

If I got a penny for everytime I say - I must organise my samples I could pay someone to do it :smiley:

[quote]slender (22/10/2010)[hr]If I got a penny for everytime I say - I must organise my samples I could pay someone to do it :D[/quote]

:smiley: How would they know what samples you liked? They’d have to check every sample with you before committing it to the “chosen” folder! How lazy would you feel then? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m holding out for a VST Sample Organiser! :cool:

[quote]gavisthename (22/10/2010)[hr]I have kind of committed myself to starting a ‘goto’ percussion folder kicks, hats, claps & snares, toms, rims, etc etc! … never really been good at being organised! Maybe the best way to create something fresh and unique everytime is not having a folder you keep going to and like you say, go hunting! Or maybe a healthy balance of the two! Aarrggh :w00t:[/quote]

I think if you have a selection of nice kicks and percusion you like it saves you time to concentrate on the important stuff.

Nothing worse than realising youve just spend 2 hours hotswapping kicks

True! I think I’ll get some beats organised then leave the rest up to chance! :slight_smile:

I have getting onto 90gb of samples and they are all in there own folders saying where they have come from then they all have there own sub folders for the different bits ie loops, kicks, claps etc!

:cool: