Charlie May Track Walkthrough

Best video I’ve seen on here. He is a true legend and prob my favourite producer of all time so it was great to get an insight into how he gets his sound. br
His track looked like the most complex arrangement/soundset I’ve ever seen-must have had abut 40 tracks set up, nothing repeating and constantly changing. br
br
I can’t imagine not mixing my own track though. I’d never want to send it to some other guy but I guess when you have deadlines like he does you have to. br
br
All that patching business looked like a right ballache, I couldn’t be arsed having to sit on the floor and poke a few wires into a patchbay just to stick a delay on something. Bet the sound is incredible on the flipside. br
br
What did you lot think? br

his workflow is bonkers and he has to commit at every point… It also seems like it would take a long time to make stuf but i think this gives him his unique sound.br
br
The hardware he has is awesome. It really adds a certain vibe you don’t get just being totally in the box.br
br

[quote]phil johnston (02/02/2013)[hr]The hardware he has is awesome. br
[/quote]br
br
yea i saw the virus ti :smiley:

haha… i was thinking more like the Jupiter 6 ;)… it really made me want one.br
br
some of the outboard stuff was very cool too.

though not nearly as amazing as the jupiter 6 i’m sure, i got a juno 60 and absolutely love it.br
br
phil thanks for bringing us into charlie may’s studio!

I concour, thanks for this Phil! thankyou Charlie for your time.

just watched the vids,really made my night,charlie may is a legend…xpander is my all time fave track.br
br
just to see him talking about music and going through his hardware was class…keep it up guysbr
br

By far the best vid yet. The dedication detail he puts into his tracks is second to none. At first I was thinking, why all the audio channels? I want to see plug-in settings, but then when he started playing with his toys it was clear to see how he was doing it. The guys an absolute legend without his input Sasha’s tracks of old would be nothing, a bit like the relationship between Nick Muir John Digweed.