Chord Progressions

Hi All,/PPI wonder if you could please help me. I am trying to write a chord progression. The progression I want needs to have 4 chords in it. I can get 3 chords that sound good together but i cant seem to get the 4th chord in the progression to sound good or resolve. There doesnt seem to be anything in the scale that will make it sound nice. Do i need to change the scale or do i perhaps try a different mode. I’m currenlty composing in C natural minor scale and i’m only using chords that fall in that scale range.

Try taking a looking at this site mate. It should give you some inspiration for writing some good chord progressions :Dbr
br

Hey,br
br
There are infinite ways to resolve a harmony…br
br
However, the most “established” way to resolve a melody/harmony involves the use of perfect or imperfect cadences.br
br
The perfect cadence involves a V (dominant) to I (tonic) chord movement, whereas the imperfect cadence is a IV (subdominant/dissonant) to I chord movement.br
br
The reason why those cadences are (very) often used in all sorts of music is because they end the melody on the tonic (the first note in a scale), which leads to a sense of “home coming”.br
br
In your case, if you’re composing in C minor, you could end your harmony either way.br
br
A perfect Cadence would generate a Fminor to Cminor progression (very stable)br
An imperfect Cadence would use a Eflat to Cminor progression. (relatively less stable)br
br
Hope that helps!br
br
Borisbr

I would say screw the scale and use what sounds good :slight_smile:

Thanks guys for the input. I will keep having a play about. The link to the chord progressions website looks very interesting as well.

if you have an ipad or iphone, there is an app called “prochords” that might be useful for you.br
br
-r

take a look at http://www.temptresstheplugin.com/store