Classic Comedy

Is it fair to say they don’t make comedy like they used too?

In regards to both Sitcoms and Movies.

Who can doubt classics such as Faulty Towers, Blackadder, Red Dwarf, 'Allo ‘Allo, The Young Ones, Bottom, Only Fools & Horses, One Foot In the Grave to name a few and movies such as Planes, trains & Automobiles, Uncle Buck, See No Evil Hear no Evil, etc.

apart from Spaced, i’m not really sure there has been much that’s really stood out in the 00’? Although The Inbetweeners is fast becoming a modern day classic IMO.

I’ve never really found any of the modern day comedy movies as funny as those of the 80’s i know that much. Like i loved eddie murphys old stuff, they were defo the best.

Great Thread! :hehe:

There is still stuff around:

The Office

Extras

Peep Show

Are the ones that spring to mind immediatley.

I liked The Inbetweeners but could never understand why everyone went so bezerk for it, it’s good but not thaaaat good.

[quote]bouffont (04/08/2010)[hr]

I liked The Inbetweeners but could never understand why everyone went so bezerk for it, it’s good but not thaaaat good.[/quote]

the imbetweeners is class cant belive you did not think it was that good the geography field trip episode where the teacher gets pissed and tries touching neil up in the middle of the night before they all end up stranded on a boat one of them naked while they punch a fish to death and get rescued by the coast guard is one of the funniest things i’ve seen in years

father ted was always one of my fav’s but i suppose that would be classed as old now

peepshow is great also that mitchell and web look is good however the new series is no where near as good as the last

i also like the mighty boosh but thats prettty of the wall and a bit f**ked up lol my wife hates it

Agreed, you can’t beat the classics for comedy! For my birthday just gone, my girlfriend bought me the Only Fools and Horses complete box set (including all the specials) lol and even thou i have seen them all before, still love watching them, there fantastic!

As you say Roben, the Inbetweeners is fast become a modern day classic too. Cannot wait for the 3rd series of that to start in September! :slight_smile:

No one has mentioned gavin and stacey yet. I think thats hilarious! Peep show is definitely my favourite modern comedy! Superhans is an idol

I am far too serious for comedy coughs :smiley:

Currently

Inbetweeners

IT Crowd

Peep Show

Modern Family (US Show)

Past:

The fast Show

Alan Partridge

The League of Gentlemen

Britas Empire

One Foot in the Grave

Soap

As for recent comedy films - can not think of one which I have seen which I laughed at, still enjoy the ealing comedies.

hah how could i forget Peep Show and IT Crowd!?

I’ve gotta agree they’re brilliant! Maybe i’m fairly wrong with the sitcom thing then, there has been the odd thing that really is hilarious.

We can’t all forget the american stuff either, I really love Two & A Half Men and King of Queens, the comedy in them is brilliant.

What I love about the Inbetweeners is the ‘cringe’ factor of it, the kind stuff they get up too is boarderline embarrising, cringy and yet just so funny. Also the things they come out with, i can’t really think of any other sitcom that comes out with as many funny one liners as Inbetweeners.

Definitely can’t wait for Season 3.

The Office was good, but not as funny as some previous mentioned sitcoms. It plays a lot on the ‘cringe’ humour too, which I like, but I dunno. I definitely prefered the Uk version though, I do like Steve Carell in his movies, but just think that the lead character suited Ricky Gervais more. Plus I think the comedy and delivery has changed a little now in the US version.

Maybe it’s mainly just movies that arn’t as funny as the oldies?

I thought Gavin and Stacey was some of the worst TV I’ve seen in years! I also can’t understand why that was popular.

As for Movies:

The Hangover

In Bruges

Hot Tub Time Machine

Role Models

[quote]slender (04/08/2010)[hr]I am far too serious for comedy coughs :smiley:

Currently

Inbetweeners

IT Crowd

Peep Show

Modern Family (US Show)

Past:

The fast Show

Alan Partridge

The League of Gentlemen

Britas Empire

One Foot in the Grave

Soap

As for recent comedy films - can not think of one which I have seen which I laughed at, still enjoy the ealing comedies.[/quote]

LOL! Totally forgot about Alan Partridge!! His BEST bits have to be…

4:10mins when he says NO YOU CANT hah class!

Pure brilliance!!

[quote][b]

As for Movies:

The Hangover

In Bruges

Hot Tub Time Machine

Role Models

[/quote]

Yeah I did actually find The Hangover amusing - not sure I would say In Bruges was an all out comedy though

only fools and horses (obviously)
game on (Series1)… try getting it on dvd if you missed it first time around.
dads army
alan partridge (get the cow off the boat!)
office

theres not that many modern films i thin k are funny… until i found the hangover… very good… tropic thunder…

forgot 2 of my all time faves…

dirty rotten scoundrels…

nuns on the run…

Jay from the InBetweener’s kills me, everyone knows or knew someone like him

[quote]jon_fisher (06/08/2010)[hr]Jay from the InBetweener’s kills me, everyone knows or knew someone like him[/quote]

“Bus W*nkers!!” :laugh: