Clipping the Brickwall

Can someone please explain as to why on some of my mixes when I throw a BW Limiter on the master and it is not driven too hard, I still end up with clipping on the master? Are the peaks of some of my channels/busses too fast for the limiter to catch? But why is it so? What is the solution? Compress more?

Thanks!

[quote]beepbeep (27/05/2011)[hr]Can someone please explain as to why on some of my mixes when I throw a BW Limiter on the master and it is not driven too hard, I still end up with clipping on the master? Are the peaks of some of my channels/busses too fast for the limiter to catch? But why is it so? What is the solution? Compress more?

Thanks![/quote]

are u using Cubase?

I use both Ableton and Cubase, mostly Ableton for my dance stuff though.

if you nudge the output of the limiter down .5db it might fix it.

[quote]phil johnston (27/05/2011)[hr]if you nudge the output of the limiter down .5db it might fix it.[/quote]

Well, I understand that reducing the limiters output value will prevent clipping. But why does it occur in the first place? Meaning in some of the mixes I can drive the limiter hard and still get away with no clips on my brickwall, while on some mixes I will end up with consistent clips even with +2/3db input push and 2-3db gain reduction.

in cubase you got post and prefaders,. and every time u use a limiter in a channel it affects depends how you route them . you can try post fader and you will no clip no more . :smiley: