Collaboration on Ableton

I have been using SA for a month or so now but havent really got into the forums much, so i will introduce myself. My names Andy and i am a producer/dj from Hereford UK. i write mainly techy house and trance, and im currently using Ableton 8 and sylenth and massive (among others). i chose Ableton 8 for a number of reasons, 1 of which being that Logic seemed to have a vendetta against me and would crash at the most inappropriate times! The other reason i chose Ableton, other than its beautiful workflow is that it has a collaboration function available.

i am looking for a tech house / trance artist to write with online. If anybody is interested give me a shout with a clip of recent work and id love to hear from you!

here is a clip of my new trance tune ive been working on this week! its very rough at the mo but you will get an idea of where im going with it!

The Power of Positive thinking (clip) by AndyBayley

Cheers!

Andy

Hi Andy and welcome to the Sonic forum, good look with your collaborations!

I ‘was’ doing one with GoFunk, not sure what happened there :stuck_out_tongue:

Hurm… what collaboration function? I just watched a video on the Ableton site about it, but I don’t have it on my version.

A brief scan of the forums implies this got revoked or something?

[quote]bangthedj (04/02/2011)[hr]Hurm… what collaboration function? I just watched a video on the Ableton site about it, but I don’t have it on my version.

A brief scan of the forums implies this got revoked or something?

[/quote]

Really? Seems a shame I watched a vid on the ableton site earlier looked like a mighty good idea to me.

What version of Live do you have bang?

Yep Bang I think u r right I can’t find any collaboration function in my version of ableton live 8??

wonder why it got removed?

@marcatkins. Cheers mate! nice to be on a forum of like minded production enthusiasts! :slight_smile:

I hope that is not true about the share function. it seemed to be a big selling point of ableton 8. would be a bit uncool if they scrapped the idea now having released videos and articles boasting about how great it is!. i havent really looked into it yet, but either way im happy using Ableton, and online collabs will still be possible if only a little more of a pain having to consolidate all files and send via email etc!

I got all excited there for a minute

I was actually just about to make a post on this very subject!!!

My friend and i both use Ableton 8 and have been trying to get together to make tracks but it’s a pain getting to each others house through the week. He told me that there was an article in a production mag (I think it was one of the latest publications of Computer Music although don’t hold me to that) which spoke of some new software that you can download and it lets you remotely log onto each others computer whilst using Ableton so you can both see the same screen and work on the same track together, at the same time! I think you then have skype running (Probably not ideal) so you can chat to each other also. I’ve had a look for it on the link my mate gave me but it’s now been removed…does anyone know anything about this?

@ Mozzatron. ive not heard of that but it sounds pretty cool!!

It looks like the best way of doing a collab online at the moment would be to use Dropbox.

http://www.dropbox.com/

there is 2 gig online storage space available for free.

ive read some of the ableton forum posts about Share (the application ableton suggested would be included with version 8) and it does appear that they have scrapped the idea (for now at least). it seems that it would be no more impressive than Dropbox anyway

[quote]mozzatron (05/02/2011)[hr]I was actually just about to make a post on this very subject!!!

My friend and i both use Ableton 8 and have been trying to get together to make tracks but it’s a pain getting to each others house through the week. He told me that there was an article in a production mag (I think it was one of the latest publications of Computer Music although don’t hold me to that) which spoke of some new software that you can download and it lets you remotely log onto each others computer whilst using Ableton so you can both see the same screen and work on the same track together, at the same time! I think you then have skype running (Probably not ideal) so you can chat to each other also. I’ve had a look for it on the link my mate gave me but it’s now been removed…does anyone know anything about this?[/quote]

You’re thinking of Skype, i read the same article. Apparently on Skype there is an option to let who you’re speaking too ‘view your screen’, then you can both work on the same project but one of you acts as the ‘engineer’ doing the work.

Interesting. Has anyone tried it?

I have just been reading an online article on Reaper from Computer Music and it talks of a software similar to the one i originally described. I say similar but i’m still trying to get my head around how it actually works (It’s very late in Oz remember so i’m knackered - Forgive me if it is actually easy to understand)

http://www.ninjam.com/

team viewer allows you to view others screen and click and stuff on there. It’s free so try it out.

i’ve never seen any collab option honestly :w00t: