Complete beginner asking for YOUR advice

Hello everyone.

I know practically nothing about music production. Zero. Nada. Zilch. I have however got 8 years worth of guitar playing and songwriting behind me and an eagerness and determination to learn. What I want to learn is how to make music like some of my favourite artists like Justice/SebastiAn/Busy P (ed banger records basically) and Alix Perez (i can almost hear your groans at another justice fan) but also love techno/house/DnB.

But before I crack on with all the brilliant looking lessons, I need your help!

What do I need to do all this?

Computer: Sorted. (just got myself a brand new macbook)

Software: Ableton Intro? (or do I jump in the deep end and get the full one?) I like the live playing ability.

Sound: I need a usb audio interface/soundcard? Which one? Do I plug my monitor speakers into this? (not too bothered about having guitar/mic inputs)

Midi controller: thinking of a pad style one for sampling. Again does this plug into the audio interface?

With all of the above lower cost options would be great!

Be kind guys, complete beginner here just looking for some advice, I’ve watched the videos you are bound to link and have read the stickies but thought I would ask here to get a variety of opinions.

Thanks!

Thomas

Hi there and welcome

First off this link should help

http://forums.sonicacademy.com/Topic24003-8-1.aspx

My personal opinion is don’t spend any money untill you know music production is your thing - i hope it is :slight_smile:

Also we were all beginners (and still class myself as one) once and this unlike other forums s a very friendly environment so ask away

[quote]thomas (08/08/2010)[hr]Hello everyone.

I know practically nothing about music production. Zero. Nada. Zilch. I have however got 8 years worth of guitar playing and songwriting behind me and an eagerness and determination to learn. What I want to learn is how to make music like some of my favourite artists like Justice/SebastiAn/Busy P (ed banger records basically) and Alix Perez (i can almost hear your groans at another justice fan) but also love techno/house/DnB.

Software: Ableton Intro? (or do I jump in the deep end and get the full one?) I like the live playing ability.

Sound: I need a usb audio interface/soundcard? Which one? Do I plug my monitor speakers into this? (not too bothered about having guitar/mic inputs)

Midi controller: thinking of a pad style one for sampling. Again does this plug into the audio interface?

Be kind guys, complete beginner here just looking for some advice, I’ve watched the videos you are bound to link and have read the stickies but thought I would ask here to get a variety of opinions.

Thanks!

Thomas

[/quote]

hey Thomas welcome to the forum,

You’ve got the absolute minimum, so you can start making music NOW! Get a Demo version of Ableton Live suite and start playing with it…use your integrated sound card…just don’t expect to record notes live (in time)

Coudn’t agree more about trying before investing.

Sounds like you will absolutely love it, but I would grab the demo as mentioned its perfect for following these tutorials.

I think if you do decide to get intro you can upgrade it to the full version later anyway with an applied discount.

watch the beginners guide to music production video.

got all the info you will need there!!

[quote]thomas (08/08/2010)[hr]Hello everyone.

Thanks!

Thomas

[/quote]

Tom,

Definitely try before you buy! You have the very minimum to be starting with, you’ll find most of us on here have built up our kit over time, picking up bits and pieces when we need them (or fancy them). Making your gear sweat is always a good thing, I’d say only invest in new kit when your current kit is restricting your creativity or limiting your potential.

If I were you, I’d try Logic and Abelton Demo’s (maybe a few other DAW’s). Logic because it just works so nicely with the mac and sits number one in ‘most’ the DAW poles. But I’d also give Abelton a go, really user friendly and allows you to bang out ideas instantly and they use it alot on this site for the tutotrials. I run both, but have found myself using logic as my main DAW and Abelton as my ideas pad.

Then the order in which you get your other stuff is personal preference and whether or not you need it. Some people go for the hardware first, like a decent set of monitors and a soundcard, some go for the creative stuff like the synths.

So my advice in summary, just get yourself a demo DAW and start getting creatve. You’ll find in no time you’ll know exactly what direction you want to go in and where to get the most bang for your buck.

Hope that helps.

Danny.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

Plan of action is to get this demo sorted and then get stuck into some lessons and see how I feel about the whole thing in 30 days time, i’m sure I am going to love the experience.

Just saw your reply danny and I shall be sure to grab a copy of logic too!

Right guys thanks once again for all your help and advice! Time for me to grab these trials and get going!

Thomas

[quote]thomas (08/08/2010)[hr]Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

Plan of action is to get this demo sorted and then get stuck into some lessons and see how I feel about the whole thing in 30 days time, i’m sure I am going to love the experience.

Just saw your reply danny and I shall be sure to grab a copy of logic too!

Right guys thanks once again for all your help and advice! Time for me to grab these trials and get going!

Thomas[/quote]

Yeah give it a look, if you do the intro to logic here, then you can watch all the styles done in Abelton and use the same techniques just using the logic work methodology. Anything that isn’t covered in that introduction, like sidechaining, if I remember correctly can be found on youtube, i never had to buy a book, just youtube and this site and maybe a few bits from Future Music, which I’d suggest you start buying, invaluable snippets in there.

Danny

how can you get a demo of logic? I’ve never seen one

[quote]seanl (08/08/2010)[hr]how can you get a demo of logic? I’ve never seen one[/quote]

i don’t think there is one…

[quote]seanl (08/08/2010)[hr][quote]seanl (08/08/2010)[hr]how can you get a demo of logic? I’ve never seen one[/quote]

i don’t think there is one…[/quote]

lol did you just answer your own qurstion?

but no one else would :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Subject 1 (09/08/2010)[hr][quote]seanl (08/08/2010)[hr][quote]seanl (08/08/2010)[hr]how can you get a demo of logic? I’ve never seen one[/quote]

i don’t think there is one…[/quote]

lol did you just answer your own qurstion?[/quote]

You know the first sign of madness seanl :stuck_out_tongue:

OK, I went a bit Howard…

…Hughes, I admit :wink:

Danny mentioned to get demos… I agree 100%. I dont know however if Logic has a demo available. If it doesnt, you can get Logic Express and upgrade later.

A few things I dont agree with.

You DO need an audio interface. Period. Reason? Well, I figure that with your background, you are gonna want to get sound into your computer. You need an AI to do this. I do have a Firestudio Mobile for sale. PM me if you’re interested.

Now…what are you gonna do? Do you want to perform live or just produce in a studio. Both? Go with Ableton. I just started using Logic. And I will say that I love it. Alot. i will probably only use Live for live performance and to do some interesting sound design. Other then that, Logic is for me for the studio.