Compression in videos

hi

when watching the funky house tutorial on making a bassline, the guy doing the tutorial puts a compressor on the bassline. the settings he uses doesnt allow the gain reduction to return to 0db before the next bass note is played…  i also noticed this on the new Future music video by thomas gold… he also doesnt set the release to return to 0db before the next note…

i thought u were sposed to set the release to return to 0db before the next note so not to mess with the attack/transients of the following note…

what am i missing? or better question would be… why are they doing this?

Its because they want their notes to remain squashed.

when compressing i prefer to go by ear. as opposed to adjusting it according to numbers.

if it sounds better then it usually is better!

but not allowing the signal to return would make it sounder duller, because of the lack of attack/transients…   no?

[quote]jpgetty2win (04/03/2010)[hr]but not allowing the signal to return would make it sounder duller, because of the lack of attack/transients… no?[/quote]

Perhaps that’s what they were going for. Do what is right to YOUR ears.

so have the first note sound loud then the rest alot quieter… each time the “phrase” restarts.

dont make sense.

Then dont make music that sounds like that.

howie youre so awesome, you know everything, thank you for all your help. i wish i was you.

if you want to make a sidechain effect with out using a compressor and squashing the sound or making it dull use the volume control of you daw and automate the volume up and down, you’ll get exactly the same effect as the sidechain with out the damage to the HF content of the sound

sidechain effect? who asked that?

[quote]jpgetty2win (04/03/2010)[hr]howie youre so awesome, you know everything, thank you for all your help. i wish i was you.[/quote]

You shouldn’t want to be like me. I’m just trying to explain something to you. If it doesn’t sound good to you, then either change it or dont listen to it. You have that choice. However, if you read the forum rules, a hostile environment will not be tolerated.

I forgot to mention, I dont know everything. But I’m just trying to help out and answer your question.

it dosnt have to get right back to zero for the attack to remain in place it might notch it down by a few db but not enough to cause a big difference.

its more about smoothing out the tails of the bass to get a nice thick solid even sound.

i tend to close my eyes and turn knobs if it sounds cool it just sounds cool!

[quote]jpgetty2win (04/03/2010)[hr]sidechain effect? who asked that?[/quote]

i watched the thomas gold video that you are talking about and he is side chaining on all of the compressors so i assumed as you mention his video that that was what you wanted.

sorry that i tried to help :slight_smile:

thank you phil, a full answer that gives an explaination and your reasons behind it.

not an off handed quick oneliner, as per usual on here from a certain few, that does nothing but increase their post counter. i guess the more posts you have, the better producer you are? :wink:

jon it was just a point i was making, some on here feel that because you only have a few posts on the forum you must be a complete noob and asking the same old novice questions, without even reading the question you originally posted. i think ive had the “how to do sidechaining” answer on 3 different questions ive asked lol

btw i thought the thomas gold videos were quite good, he seems a cool guy. the compression on his vids i was referring to was the master chain comp.

thanks again phil

[quote]jpgetty2win (05/03/2010)[hr]thank you phil, a full answer that gives an explaination and your reasons behind it.

not an off handed quick oneliner, as per usual on here from a certain few, that does nothing but increase their post counter. i guess the more posts you have, the betterproducer you are? :wink:

jon it was just a point i was making, some on here feel that because you only have a few posts on the forum you must be a complete noob and asking the same old novicequestions, without even reading the question you originally posted. i think ive had the “how to do sidechaining” answer on 3 different questions ive asked lol

btw i thought the thomas gold videos were quite good, he seems a cool guy. the compression on his vids i was referring to was the master chain comp.

thanks again phil[/quote]

i did misread your original post, i wouldn’t consider any one a noob simply because of their post count and don’t think i treat anyone like that so i’ll hope that wasn’t aimed at me.

the thomas gold tutorial is very good, i must have missed the master chain part lol i’ll re watch it today and catch what you are talking about.

i agree with you post counts count for nothing

[quote]jpgetty2win (05/03/2010)[hr]not an off handed quick oneliner, as per usual on here from a certain few, that does nothing but increase their post counter. i guess the more posts you have, the betterproducer you are? :wink:

[/quote]

I could care less about post count. The only reason I and a few others have a high post count, is because we are active in trying to help others out. Thats why were are here. No one, including me, called you a noob or proclaimed to be a better producer than you or anyone else. We tried to explain something to you and you didn’t understand. Did I need to write a paragraph to get my point across? There is no right or wrong, which is what I said, and it was reiterated by Phil. Its what feels right. But you didn’t understand that, so maybe we weren’t speaking the same language. Please forgive me.:smooooth:

dude, i read your posts and theres an air of arrogance to them, unjustified imo but… there nonetheless.

i understood exactly what you were saying, but wanted an explaination WHY they did this. i guess i should have just addressed the question to phil alone, seeing as hes the only that could have really answered it, but thought id open it up to everyone. i guessed what type of reply youd give and you didnt disappoint.

“Then dont make music that sounds like that.”  - helpful, very helpful.

phil answered my query very well and so wont be returning to this thread.

no arrogance whatsoever. I told you to use your ears and that it probably sounded good to them when they made it. That just so happens to be the exact same answer that he had… taadaaaa!

If it didn’t make sense to you why he did what he did, then do what makes sense to you. Change the release. I answered all your questions. Not my fault it wasn’t a huge paragraph long explaining everything.

If you want me to make you next song for you, I can do that for you if you dont understand how! :wink:

Just kidding!!!

kiss kiss