Compression on master track

No dude, its all good. I was talking from a sound engineering standpoint. There are rules that should never be broken. Yes, there are rules that you can break, but your general statement “rules are meant to be broken” never referenced the compression/limiter talk.

Understand that this is a discussion, not an argument. I just want people to know that there are things that should not be done. Especially when it comes to sound.

[quote]roben (1/20/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (1/20/2010)[hr]You know lately on the messageboard you’ve really changed dude, i’m not sure if this is intentional but you have been sparking a lot of disagreements with people lately, if not with the old skoolers of us on here then it’s the new members.

I understand message board politics and understand there is always the rogue who winds people up, but i never put you down to being that person, you’ve always been a cool guy - even if you are a yank :wink: heh :stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]

I disagree because I stick up for what I believe in. When someone calls me a kiss *** and a bell end for sticking up for SA, I get pissed off and give my $.02. When you suggest to someone starting out to get $3000 monitors per pair, because they were highly reviewed in CM, I ask why. I’m not dogging you though dude. You have been here a while, and you know me well enough that I help people out. ****, I have helped you out a couple times on instant messenger.

my head hurts after reading all that.

but i will add that in sound design all rules are there to be broken and digital clipping has been used in released material in the past (i will get the name of the producer) how ever digital clipping should be avoided at all cost on the mater bus for the final track.

a digitally clipped sound can be taken a further processed into a useful sound.

also take into consideration that most well know sounds in dance music was made by mistake and never came from a book or someone taking notice of the rules.

just ignore all the rules / music theory / what you should be doing factor. go have fun make music and enjoy, so long as you enjoy making it and it sounds good what else matters.

Please tell me what genre was created when a specific sound rule was broken

acid house?

[quote]mussi81 (1/20/2010)[hr]Please tell me what genre was created when a specific sound rule was broken

acid house?[/quote]

Gabber?? Maybe? LOL

Pretty sure acid house was made by not using the roland TB303 as it was intended. Not so much breaking the rules but you know what i mean.

[quote]mussi81 (1/20/2010)[hr]Please tell me what genre was created when a specific sound rule was broken

acid house?[/quote]

sorry think you’ve misread, what i mean was that genres have been created from stepping outside the manual and that anything goes in music so long as someone enjoys it.

i think one of the guys that has made use of digital clipping is josstintimberlake (not 100% sure) anyway i’m trying to find the article in one of my 100’s of future music mags so could take some time lol.

Cheers for that John.

Its all getting a bit mad on here of late so nice to get back to what we all love - making music.

[quote]howiegroove (1/14/2010)[hr]No, but if you want to get an idea of what your track would sound like if it were mastered, then yes. But if you are sending it to mastering, then no.

I have a good sounding mastering rack that I use on my tracks. If you want me to throw it on your finished track so you can get an idea of how it would sound, let me know.[/quote]

does it happen to be an ableton rack…if so then…ummm;)

@ cal: No, its not an Ableton Rack, however, I might add to it. I just got an SSL emulator that sounds AMAZING! Everything sounds better on SSL IMO! :wink:

Howie what are these rules that Absolutely cannot be broken. You have done alot of talking about these rules which cannot be broken, yet you haven’t given any examples other than digital clipping.

I’m lost…