Compression on master track

hi guys

should i use compression on my master track?

No, but if you want to get an idea of what your track would sound like if it were mastered, then yes. But if you are sending it to mastering, then no.

I have a good sounding mastering rack that I use on my tracks. If you want me to throw it on your finished track so you can get an idea of how it would sound, let me know.

Thanks howie!

no problem dude :smiley:

yeah sure you should if thats the sound your after, many pro’s mix with a compressor on the master, in fact quite a lot of pro’s will put a compressor on the master even before they have started writing the track. this is a good way of knowing what your track will sound like (roughly) when mastered. mixing to a compressor is a very well know practice among pro producers.

where a lot of people make the mistake is that they don’t remove the compressor before sending the tack to be mastered.

mix to a compressor and remove the compressor when the track is mixed down.

one reason for doing this is that some elements will be pulled forward in the mix during mastering and other will completely vanish, by mixing to a compressor you’ll be able to keep a closer eye on the elements you want and the balance and you won’t get such a shock when the track comes back from mastering. just remember to remove it when the mix down is finished :slight_smile:

some producers start the mix with a compressor or limiter on the master bus while others prefer to strap one on at the end or leave it to mastering

using a master bus compressor allows you to push the volume of all channels a little highter without risking clipping. it clues the parts together and makes everything seem a little louder.

the classic choice for theis treatment is the SSL Buss Compressor, which can sound natural when pushed to as high as 5dbs of reduction. Any more than that and the compression starts to sound aggressive, which can be useful for pumping electro and the like.

It’s a tough one really because you need to be carefull you’re not taking away the dynamics of the track.

I tend to avoid it. But that’s just my way.

i always have a multiband compressor, eq, compressor and limiter on my master bus. it sure sounds a hell of a lot better on my monitors

I like the idea of using a compressor and then taking it off later. As for using a mastering chain f*** that s***! I had a play with that and it sounded awful I think I would leave that to a pro if I was releasing a track.

whilst its probably not “correct” to do so.

i personally do it.

if it sounds better, do it, if it sounds worse - don’t

I agree with Byan - I do add compression to the master but only very slight - probably a ratio of about 2:1 just so that the sound compresses about -2db. Like Bryan says try it and if it sounds better then run with it - i usually find it just gives you that little more volume.

[quote]mejaques_uk@hotmail.com (1/19/2010)[hr]

i usually find it just gives you that little more volume.[/quote]

Why not just use a limiter then??

Roben,

Not sure if this is right or wrong i use compression and a limiter!.

This is what i have on my master

1.Low cut filter to trim off bottom end.

2. EQ

3. compression

4. Ozone 3 set to CD stero widener and exciter

5. Limiter

I have all these strapped to the master when i’m producing and it sounds good when i render them down. Now then i haven’t got any decent monitoring speakers - the sound just comes through a decent pioneer stereo however i have a good mat who dj’s in local bars and small local clubs and it sounds good - i have also listen in on my ipod and it sound fair decent.

Im not and expert but i suppose the thing is with music what works for one doesn’t always work for the other.

There is no right or wrong in music production, only matter of opinion.

It’s all horses for courses.

However i only questioned because I don’t understand how you know where to set your compressor settings (ratio, threshold, attack, release) if you don’t have a sound source in the first place to tweek.

I would also advise to throw caution to the wind whilst using compression, it can take away the natural dynamics of some musical elements, which ends up doing more harm than good.

If it’s purely loudness you want, try turning up your speakers lol :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]roben (1/19/2010)[hr]There is no right or wrong in music production, only matter of opinion.[/quote]

That would be incorrect. There are rules in sound that should not be broken. Sometimes people can get away with them, depending on the rule.

One example of a rule that should NEVER be broken… Never, ever, ever, ever digitally clip your sound. Bad bad bad bad.

Roben I turned the speakers up like you suggested and it’s even louder lol!!!

[quote]howiegroove (1/19/2010)[hr][quote]roben (1/19/2010)[hr]There is no right or wrong in music production, only matter of opinion.[/quote]

That would be incorrect. There are rules in sound that should not be broken. [/quote]

How did you work that one out buddy?

1. Rules are made to be broken

2. If every producer created around rules and boundaries then genres, sub genres and sub sub genres would never have been invented.

[quote]roben (1/20/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (1/19/2010)[hr][quote]roben (1/19/2010)[hr]There is no right or wrong in music production, only matter of opinion.[/quote]

That would be incorrect. There are rules in sound that should not be broken. [/quote]

How did you work that one out buddy?

1. Rules are made to be broken

2. If every producer created around rules and boundaries then genres, sub genres and sub sub genres would never have been invented.[/quote]

Roben, some rules can be broken, yes. Others, can not be. Any sound engineer will tell you this. This was told to me by my friend that graduated from Omega Sound engineering school in DC and was confirmed in books that I have read.

Like I said. Digital clipping is a NO NO. PERIOD. If you fail to adhere to this, there is a reason your music will never get played on a big club system. Thats not a dis, thats just a fact.

Producers invented different genres because they were innovative, not because they broke the rules. Please tell me what genre was created when a specific sound rule was broken.

Roben, understand that I am just passing on information that I read and have discussed with others. I know of some of the techniques that Wolfgang Gartner uses and they are very difficult to wrap your head around. They were developed by him over the course of many years. He broke some rules too. But understand that there are rules that can not be broken.

I don’t want to argue with you. I am here to pass on information that I have learned from others that are released artists and have had training from #1 released artists. This bit of information will help all of us get better.

If you have facts, give them. This is not an opinion topic. This is fact.

Yes… You can break rules. However… there are some that absolutely can not be broken. And it is very very important for newer producers on this website to understand that. Once a producer has years of sound experience under their belt, they will know what rules you can break, and what you can not break. So basically, I am saying to please not steer the newer producers down the wrong path.

Perhaps you are trying to show your knowledge dominance over me. Perhaps its something else. I dont know. But do not disagree with me on this. I understand that rules can be broken, but not all of them.

[quote]howiegroove (1/20/2010)[hr]Roben, understand that I am just passing on information that I read and have discussed with others. I know of some of the techniques that Wolfgang Gartner uses and they are very difficult to wrap your head around. They were developed by him over the course of many years. He broke some rules too. But understand that there are rules that can not be broken.[/quote]

I’m sure there are, i’m not denying that, however I was replying to mejaques_uk@hotmail.com when he mentioned: "Not sure if this is right or wrong i use compression and a limiter!.

This is what i have on my master’

If he wants to use that in his master, who’s anyone to say it’s right or wrong?

[quote]howiegroove (1/20/2010)[hr]

I don’t want to argue with you. I am here to pass on information that I have learned from others that are released artists and have had training from #1 released artists. This bit of information will help all of us get better.

If you have facts, give them. This is not an opinion topic. This is fact. [/quote]

Good, don’t argue, i’m merely also passing on my information that I too have learned from others.

Want facts? Ok, well mine came from advice given from Matrix & Futurebound (Computer Music Masterclass CM144) as well as someone who by now needs no introduction really, Robin Millar - who’s productions have sold well over 55 million copies, earning the UK over £400 million in foreign income and have won almost every major global music award including Brit and Grammy Awards.

His advice came from a Future Music dvd (forget which issue, think it’s Octobers) talk from a London music college.

Also Computer Music magazine issue 140 which gives 200 producer power tips, one tip amongst others stating:

“Don’t believe everything you hear and read - event from us! Many great and successful producers do things that we might tell you are no good whatsoever, and don’t do things that we would describe as near-enough essential. Almost every bit of advice in this business is just a guideline and these are best followed generally but never rigorously”

This is all amongst many other resources i’ve come across which I can’t for the life of me think or remember who or where from.

[quote]howiegroove (1/20/2010)[hr]Yes… You can break rules. [/quote]

So you’ve just agreed with me, so why are you debating? I didn’t say anything more than “There is no right or wrong in music production, only matter of opinion.”

Seems to me like you like to bring arguements and disagreements out of nothing. Especially when you’ve already agreed that rules can be broken. Like i already stated: horses for courses.

[quote]howiegroove (1/20/2010)[hr]

Perhaps you are trying to show your knowledge dominance over me. Perhaps its something else. I dont know. .[/quote]

WTF???

Seriously… ???

:blink:

You know lately on the messageboard you’ve really changed dude, i’m not sure if this is intentional but you have been sparking a lot of disagreements with people lately, if not with the old skoolers of us on here then it’s the new members.

I understand message board politics and understand there is always the rogue who winds people up, but i never put you down to being that person, you’ve always been a cool guy - even if you are a yank :wink: heh :stuck_out_tongue: