Correctly Clipping The Master Bus? How do you do it?

br
Can you please shed some light as to how do all of the pro producers/mastering engineers get their tracks to spend a dB or 2 in “soft clipping” on the master bus? That is if you take a track and put it into your DAW at 0 dB, it will clip the master output and the track output by anywhere between 1-2 dB’s. Whenever I use the IRC 3 mode in Ozone 5, with the ceiling set to 0 dB, it shows that my track is clipping on my mastering chain inside of my project session, but when I bounce it and import back into ableton, It does not clip the track or the master at all.br
br
The last thing on my mastering chain is Ozone and inside the plugin everything is arranged so the limiter is the last module after eq, reverb, harmonic excitation, multiband comp, stereo spread and post eq. br
br
So when I take a track that I purchased from beatport for example and place it an an audio track in Ableton. Immediately, once I play it back at 0 Unity fader setting on the audio track and 0 on the master fader, that track will peak and clip the master output by as much as 2 dB! When I take one of my tracks and play it back under the same conditions, it just peaks at 0 dB and does not overshoot. But I want it to overshoot the 0 dB point just like the pro tracks do.br
br
br
thank you.

Man, what is wrong with people on here. Can not a single person explain this? Highly frustrating…

Are the tracks you are getting in wav or mp3 br
br
If its mp3 ableton does a convertion on them to wav so this could be what is changing the level.br
br
Im guessing if you put a wav in it will be solid 0db

Maybe the meters are just not 100% accurate under certain circumstances?br
br
Like for example, if a track has been mastered in a certain way like the pro ones tend to be - maybe the meters in the DAW you are using have a little trouble staying 100% accurate all the time?

the levels are accurate… its easy dsp to to calculate. i.e is this bit at x number.br
br
its more likely its the sonic content of the file i think… could be wrong.

There is something very wrong here. I can’t imagine how you could get a WAV or mp3 file to go above zero and it doesn’t make any sense, why anyone would want that? All that is going to happen when someone plays it is it will either get limited or distort. You may as well limit the track yourself (or add distortion). PI also don’t really understand the concept of “correctly clipping” or “soft clipping”. It would be hard and wrong as far as I can tell./PPI suspect that it is due to either one of the three volume controls being above zero (the clip gain, the track volume or the master volume) or there is a plugin or effect that is adding gain./PPIf it isn’t any of those I would put corrupted file then corrupted Ableton install over someone doing this on purpose, but maybe there is something I have missed and this is the new cool thing to do?/PP[quote]vadimvozmitsel (18/05/2013)[hr]BRSo when I take a track that I purchased from beatport for example and place it an an audio track in Ableton. Immediately, once I play it back at 0 Unity fader setting on the audio track and 0 on the master fader, that track will peak and clip the master output by as much as 2 dB! When I take one of my tracks and play it back under the same conditions, it just peaks at 0 dB and does not overshoot. But I want it to overshoot the 0 dB point just like the pro tracks do.[/quote]