Deep house synth (how to?)

How do i make a low end deep house synth, to lay a few chords down with and to create atmosphere. I use presets so am unsure how to do this. An example would be this song i guess, but there are tones out there… Maya Jane Coles - The High Life - YouTube

:stuck_out_tongue: thanks

She’s done that splendidly, but I’m baffled how she did it as well.

At first you hear them dry, but she adds various kinds of effects slowly. Some distortion. Bit of whitenoise…

I meant to reply the other day - but forgot…

Have you ableton?

Get a load of samples that are in pretty much the same key as your track. Throw them in to drumracks.

Hit your keyboard randomly to the kick & bass for 5mins while recording it. Go in & take the best sections. See what sounds good with the track. Thing is, though - want it kinda sounding random, so I would get the music out of my head while I am doing it, otherwise you might get something too predictible.

See what happens :slight_smile:

Think with stuff like that, you need to get away from the mouse - you’ll only make something repetitive & 1D doing it that way. Keyboard is fun. 

I’m sure Akufen went in after & tightened everything up - but he’d have been a nutter if he didnt use a midi controller to get the basic groove & see what samples worked best together :smiley:

<EMBED height=345 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=420 src=Akufen - Deck The House - YouTube allowfullscreen=“true” allowscriptaccess=“always”>

My third favorite album ever.

[quote]ICN (30/08/2011)[hr]I meant to reply the other day - but forgot…

Have you ableton?

Get a load of samples that are in pretty much the same key as your track. Throw them in to drumracks.

Hit your keyboard randomly to the kick & bass for 5mins while recording it. Go in & take the best sections. See what sounds good with the track. Thing is, though - wantit kinda sounding random, so I would get the music out of my head while I am doing it, otherwise you might get something too predictible.

Think with stuff like that, you need to get away from the mouse - you’ll only make something repetitive &1D doing it that way. Keyboard is fun.

I’m sure Akufen went in after & tightened everything up - but he’d have been a nutter if he didnt use a midi controller to get the basic groove & see what samples worked best together :D<EMBED height=345 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=420 src=Akufen - Deck The House - YouTube allowfullscreen=“true” allowscriptaccess=“always”>[/quote]

That Akufen track is clever, the way it starts to make a groove out of what appear to be random samples.

Doesn’t move me though :frowning:

Heard him in Fabric once - really good. Was playing loads of banging tech minimal. Mental music - all over the place.

Didnt play any of that cut-up stuff, which was a shame… what was it they called it - Micro House. LOL

Some of it was cool. He had some good tracks - cant remember which ones now :smiley:

[quote]ICN (30/08/2011)[hr]I meant to reply the other day - but forgot…

Have you ableton?

Hit your keyboard randomly to the kick & bass for 5mins while recording it. Go in & take the best sections. See what sounds good with the track. Thing is, though - wantit kinda sounding random, so I would get the music out of my head while I am doing it, otherwise you might get something too predictible.

Think with stuff like that, you need to get away from the mouse - you’ll only make something repetitive &1D doing it that way. Keyboard is fun.

I’m sure Akufen went in after & tightened everything up - but he’d have been a nutter if he didnt use a midi controller to get the basic groove & see what samples worked best together :D<EMBED height=345 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=420 src=Akufen - Deck The House - YouTube allowfullscreen=“true” allowscriptaccess=“always”>[/quote]

So to create this sound…

Maya Jane Coles - The High Life - YouTube

you suggest i load a drumrack with deep house synths samples?..

Atmosphere… backdrop - samples.

Synth - Is it a synth - sounds like a load of filtering to start with - but the rest, dunno - sounds like a loop synth sample… is it strings or what?

Thats why I think its all choppy choppy @ the start of the process.

Talent helps and she’s got ample.

[quote]ICN (30/08/2011)[hr]Atmosphere… backdrop - samples.

Synth - Is it a synth - sounds like a load of filtering to start with - but the rest, dunno - sounds like a loop synth sample… is it strings or what?

Thats why I think its all choppy choppy @ the start of the process.[/quote]

Thanks man, i’ll try this out. However, it wasn’t necessarily the chopped up sounds i wanted to recreate, more of deep synth or strings to add to my tracks. I wanted to create this deep sound on a vst, I have no idea how to go about doing that!

Thanks for the comments :cool:

If you have Massive you can try this site for great programming tips. Even without Massive you can learn some good ideas for deep sounds.

[url]Massive Tutorials – ADSR

The little chord plug in Ableton is cool… I’ve stuck a pic below of something that I got from KVR for one finger chord tunings

Try playing them an octave up, with a bit of reverb (and or delay) on them, less than 30% wet… Get the audio & pitch it down an octave.

The more you mess with the audio samples, y’ll see what works. Think DH uses a lot of 7ths and sustained chords? Think I’ve read 13ths and 9ths? And suspended?  Y’d have to google that. Not 100%

Theres a definite synth & definite sampling element to deep house. I think the 2 go hand in hand. Even if you play the ****test bunch of chords in, then sample that… bang away on them & y’ll get something cool.

chop each note… keep a section or 2 that has a chord change or 2 notes playing after eachother. After the Pads, even add a filter, maybe with more reverb as an insert (not 100 wet), then a comp.

I love the Tal UNO60 synth. Fkn cracking - and free. Really easy to get some nice sounds from it. It has nice Organ-y sounds in it, and it does fuzzy deep chord very well. Just lower the cut off, raise the res and maybe a little of the velocity envelope - and it sounds good already.

http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products/tal-u-no-62

Tal also do a filter (The Red one @ bottom of page - Filter), that has nice distortion and that pleasant resonance. Might be nice if you dont have something already.

Sometimes if you have the right beat, a filter like that on something makes it sound deep house - LOL - Just make sure you have your delays / reverbs after so that its not all dry sounding :slight_smile:

http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products/tal-filter

[quote]ICN (30/08/2011)[hr]The little chord plug in Ableton is cool… I’ve stuck a pic below of something that I got from KVRfor one finger chordtunings

Try playing them an octave up, with a bit of reverb(and or delay)on them, less than 30% wet… Get the audio & pitch it down an octave.

The more you mess with the audio samples, y’ll see what works. Think DH uses a lot of 7ths and sustained chords? Think I’ve read 13ths and 9ths? And suspended? Y’d have to google that. Not 100%

Theres a definite synth & definite sampling element to deep house. I think the 2 go hand in hand. Even if you play the ****test bunch of chordsin, then sample that… bang away on them & y’ll get something cool.

chop each note… keep a section or 2 that has a chord change or 2 notes playing after eachother. After the Pads, even adda filter, maybe with more reverb as an insert (not 100 wet), then a comp.

I love the Tal UNO60 synth. Fkn cracking - and free. Really easy to get some nice sounds from it. It has nice Organ-y sounds in it, and it does fuzzy deep chord very well. Just lower the cut off, raise the res and maybe a little of the velocity envelope - and it sounds good already.

http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products/tal-u-no-62

Tal also do a filter (The Red one @ bottom of page - Filter), that has nice distortion and that pleasant resonance. Might be nice if you dont have something already.

Sometimes if you have the right beat, a filter like that on something makes it sound deep house - LOL - Just make sure you have your delays / reverbs after so that its not all dry sounding :slight_smile:

http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products/tal-filter

[/quote]

Nerd!!! Cheers for the list of chord things man! Really handy!! :slight_smile:

Good tips on the chords for the chord deivce. You could also record the output midi data onto another track to ‘see’ your progression. Then you could look at the root notes of the chord for potential bass notes (but don’t do this ALL the time… real deep house producers don’t - they do what ‘feels’ right to them)

Thanks for the tips, really helpful!:smiley:

[quote]ICN (30/08/2011)[hr]Heard him in Fabric once - really good. Was playing loads of banging tech minimal. Mental music - all over the place.

Didnt play any of that cut-up stuff, which was a shame… what was it they called it - Micro House. LOL

Some of it was cool. He had some good tracks - cant remember which ones now :D[/quote]

yeah hes amazing like, great fabric mix cd to

I really don’t think it’s anything crazy impossible to figure out, but then again, here I am scratching my head.

It could be several things.

1. It could be a paddy synth that has three chord changes and is just being filtered in a nice way. This synth also has side chain compression from the kick which gives it that pumping feeling once the beat drops.

2. It could EASILY be a sample of a track that is just looped and filtered. It does sound that way at times.

3. It could be three different synth sounds combined together to make that loop and then it is filtered and compressed.

I GUARANTEE you that if you saw how it was done, you’d slap your head and say, “THAT’S IT!!!” Tracks usually sound a lot more complicated than they really are. It’s usually just a few sounds complimenting each other well. The problem with me, was for a long time I thought I should be able to get a sound like this with one synth or one sample. Instead, it takes a few sounds that work well together.

My advice is to take a three chord or note hook and use different synth sounds for each chord or note. You’d be surprised at what kind of cool licks and hooks you can come up with.