Deep House / Tensnake

Ok so we’re due a Deep House HTSL soon arn’t we? I just wanted to throw this tune in for possible consideration for the sound to copy?

It’s MASSIVE in Ibiza at the moment and most DJs are charting it, you’ll hear why, it’s so good:

Good stuff Roben.  I’m up for that.

Tune!!!!!

+1 here.

yep, asked for this before, i’m a big fan of Tensnake, loved Congolal, and really liked need your lovin.

Actually just a fan of the whole Running Back Records sounds, love Move D’s stuff as well - although quite different to tensnake.

Tensnakes signed to defected now isn’t he?

[quote]Aapie (16/07/2010)[hr]

Tensnakes signed to defected now isn’t he?[/quote]

Yeah this track is signed to Defected :slight_smile:

Great track! I thought you might be interested in this interview:

How did the track begin?
The idea with ‘Coma Cat’ was to recreate an old memory, the exciting moment when you discover a really great tune for the first time. The kind of track you play 20 times a day and when it’s over you play it again. As far as I remember it took three days to produce – from the very first idea to the final mixdown.

How did it come together?
I produced it in my really basic home studio, using Ableton Live as a sequencer. The beats were programmed with Native Instruments Maschine, except the finger-snap, which is a very characteristic drumset sound from the Korg M1. (I used the plugin version, not the original synth). The M1 was used on many house tracks from the 90s by the way; the piano is also great. The bassline is from a Moog Voyager; as far as I remember I used a factory preset and tweaked it a little. The lead sound is actually a layered sound. I used the Jupiter 8 Arturia soft synth to get the old-skool analogue bell/steel drum sound and doubled it with a Marimba-like preset sound from my favourite FM synth, the Yamaha TX81Z. The vocal sample is from some random r’n’b sample CD, I just cut it and added some harmonies using Melodyne.

How did you get it to sound so old?
In the 90s people couldn’t afford a compressor for each track; the sound was way more open, but also also kind of rougher sometimes. I used the UAD 4K SSL plug-in on the main stereo signal to tighten things a little. The mix-down was also done in Ableton Live. I didn’t use too much compression so it would sound quite original.

Thanks for the post!! That’s a really good read, i’m still blown away by the fact it took him 3 days to make it!

THREEE DAYYYSS :blink:

Yeah, three days! Its just showing off really, isn’t it? :wink:

a Defected guy Roben ! i see :). Try to check some Plastic city records too .

[quote]alinenunez (16/07/2010)[hr]a Defected guy Roben ! i see :). Try to check some Plastic city records too .[/quote]

Great sounds!!

[quote]roben (16/07/2010)[hr][quote]Aapie (16/07/2010)[hr]

Tensnakes signed to defected now isn’t he?[/quote]

Yeah this track is signed to Defected :)[/quote]

ah, right, but it came out on Permanent Vacation first though, the defected release is a re-issue then - not that that is a problem it’s cracking track…

it’s a rip off of this (wait for the chorus at 1.13).

[url=]- YouTube

Again still really nice…

[url=]http://soundcloud.com/tensnake/sets/tensnake-coma-cat-ep-coming-soon-on-permanent-vacation[/url]

Check “need your loving” it’s the better track imo, amazing chorus, every Cheryl Lynn.

and this is still my favourite track by him:

[url=]http://soundcloud.com/tensnake/congolal-original-mix[/url]

hah nice link there, i wouldn’t say it was a rip off of it though, it’s mearly taking something and sampling the idea. Most music these days takes ideas from other music :slight_smile:

Look at the Prodigy tracks, it’s just clever sampling.

Soundcloud’s down at the moment, will have to check back another time.

oh yeah not dissing it, he’s name checked the track in talking about it, he says it’s heavily influenced by it and yaddah! yaddah! yaddah!

Cracking track no matter what…

and would love a HTSL.

‘Need your loving’ SHIIIIIT HOOOTTTT

TENSNAKE HTSL FTW!!!

Come one guys, we need more +1’s

I’d really like to know how to create those basslines and sounds.

One plus guys:)

Nice tune, is this deep house though? Know its a very subjective thing and there’s loads of crossover between genres, but I think of deep house as being much more of a dubby underground sound. Think Manuel Tur and Jimpster, or Lauhaus for the deep-tech end of things. I would say this is more funky house tbh.

[quote]Rob_E (17/07/2010)[hr]Nice tune, is this deep house though? Know its a very subjective thing and there’s loads of crossover between genres, but I think of deep house as being much more of a dubby underground sound. Think Manuel Tur and Jimpster, or Lauhaus for the deep-tech end of things. I would say this is more funky house tbh.[/quote]

It’s a fair point, permanent vacation as a label definitely have a foot in the deep house camp, Move D Mark e etc…

Like this:

[url=]http://soundcloud.com/futureclassic/04-heidelberg-gals-parts-one-two-three[/url] amazing tune

I think this, Tensnake, specifically is a bit more Nu-Disco, although it’s got a very 80’s feel to it, i think his stuff sits alongside the Lindstrom, Aeroplane style house.

Traditionally though Deep House was soulful, male vocal etc… the techy end of it only really appeared int he last decade or so.

But again that’s all subjective as it’s such a broad genre.

Also worth checking out if you like any of the above is Cosmic Belt:

[url=]- YouTube

[url=]Cosmic Belt - Do You Feel Alright - YouTube

[url=]Cosmic Belt - I Love This Feeling - YouTube

yep I agree - I would put it under the nu-disco umbrella.

I saw Aeroplane drop it in New York a couple of months ago. Blew the roof off.

good song but this is sort of covered by the nu disco sound of things

when i think of deep house i think of kerri chandler

I agree with what you’ve all said but yeah it is very subjective. I’d class this as deep house, but others may not as demonstrated already by some posts.

Anyways it’s all House music in the end of the day :slight_smile: