Demo Submission Information

Hey everyone,

I was just getting ready to send some songs out to some labels for their review and thought to myself, what the heck do I write.

After some searching on the web I came across a site that I felt gave a good explaination of how to write a professional submission email.

I think sometimes we work so hard on our music that we forget that we still have to carry over that professionalism into our requests for review.

I’d love to hear from some of the people in our community that have had success with this and what you did that you feel helped to get you signed.

Here is the link from the site I came across. There are a ton of them out there though so if you do not like this format you should have no problem finding one that suits you. 

http://audio.tutsplus.com/articles/general/6-steps-to-sending-the-perfect-demo-submission/

Interesting post my friend

Not that I have ever needed to send any labels my tracks so far :wink:

Oh good luck as well :slight_smile:

Tbh mate, if your track is good all you need is to send em a link first. They dont really wanna know how polite you can be or your life story. They just want good tracks…

[quote]jjdejong0 (14/11/2011)[hr]Tbh mate, if your track is good all you need is to send em a link first. They dont really wanna know how polite you can be or your life story. They just want good tracks…[/quote]

Can you elaborate?

Have you done this and still had your tracks signed using your method?
If so, what kind of label were they (i.e. large,small)?
If not, then I don’t think you can honestly answer this.

I’m not disagreeing with you, but I would like to hear from people who have had success in getting their tracks signed.

This is all new to me as the last time I was working with labels was like 10 years ago and in an entire different genre. Back then, the more polished you looked the more likelihood you had to have your stuff at least even listened to. Even though they never read any of the crap that you write for your bio, the simple fact that you provided a professional submission helped you stand out from the 1,000’s of other submissions they got and put you at the top of the listening pile.

To me it’s just too damn lazy to not take an extra hour to write a nice intro email as a way to set yourself apart from the others. You only need to do it once and then make small changes depending on the label you send it to. Ultimately, it does come down to the music being good, but you have to entice them to even listen to it first. IMO, I don’t think this has changed at all.

[quote]slender (14/11/2011)[hr]Interesting post my friend

Not that I have ever needed to send any labels my tracks so far :wink:

Oh good luck as well :)[/quote]

HAHA.

Thanks.

Gotta disagree with you there man. I think you have some great tunes, but I know how you feel. don’t think my work is good. Like most artists I think everything I do is crap, but ya gotta throw it out there at some point.

Ok the first record i did this with was with one i sent to Marco V. It literally went like this,

Hey Marco,

I thought this tune might fit in with your style, let me know what you think.

LINK,

A month later i got a email back from Be Yourself Music, Marco wanted to release it on his label In Charge.

he had sent me an email personally after like a week saying he liked the trackm and i think i said something like its still free to be signed. I cant reallt remember but the initial email wasnt like a full blown over the top over complicated job aplication.

Let your music do the talking.

[quote]jbachjr78 (14/11/2011)[hr]

Gotta disagree with you there man. I think you have some great tunes, but I know how you feel. don’t think my work is good. Like most artists I think everything I do is crap, but ya gotta throw it out there at some point.[/quote]

LOL actually I meant labels have been seeking me out :smiley:

I do have a list of about 100 labels I was going to send stuff out then everything got signed

Pure luck

But yeah I think as artists we are our worst crtics

[quote]jjdejong0 (14/11/2011)[hr]Ok the first record i did this with was with one i sent to Marco V. It literally went like this,

Hey Marco,

I thought this tune might fit in with your style, let me know what you think.

LINK,

A month later i got a email back from Be Yourself Music, Marco wanted to release it on his label In Charge.

he had sent me an email personally after like a week saying he liked the trackm and i think i said something like its still free to be signed. I cant reallt remember but the initial email wasnt like a full blown over the top over complicated job aplication.

Let your music do the talking.[/quote]

Nice.

My thought is it can’t hurt to write a little something.
I think its crazy to just send an email with nothing but a link attached and not even a hello. It looks like you did about the same as me so I think we’re on the same page. The only thing I added was at the bottom of my email I put a shortened version of my bio. I placed it there and not at the top as it is not relevant to why I’m emailing them.

Here is what I wrote for my latest submission:

Hello,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = “urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office” /><o:p></o:p>

My name is James Bach and I am currently writing/producing songs in the electro house genre.  The reason for my email is that I would like to submit two songs for your review.   I chose **** Records based on the similarity between me and some of your current artists.  Below you will find links to my music. If you would prefer a different method of receiving my music please feel free to email me your preferred method.  <o:p></o:p>

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

All the Best,<o:p></o:p>

James Bach<o:p></o:p>

I dont have any experience of it James… but does that strike anyone else as being a bit too formal?

I’d go with Jan said & keep it simple & snappy.

Reading is like listening to someone talk - you dont want to sound too straight.

You definitely want to seem like you’re cool - so means probably not looking like you care that much or are being really diligent  :) :cool:

Less is probably more. Maybe add a link to a bio in your sig or something. If they want more they’ll come looking for it after they like the tune.

No worries ICN. That’s why I put this up. All of these are good points. I hope we can get some more people on here who do have some experience with this as I think we could all benefit from this.

To me it’s about making it as easy as possible for the person viewing the email to get additional information if needed, but I realize I could be wrong as well. I hope we get more on this.

I’d go with as short as possible… These guys are very busy and won’t read a long winded email.

My keen and perceptive mind is starting to notice a trend. haha

Well, I think the consensus has it.

Short and sweet seems to be what the ladies like.

Who would have thought :w00t:

Thanks for your input guys.