Demo Submission Questions

Hey Phil, thanks a lot for all the questions you answered and the fact that you made the peak time trance videos, best tutorial i have EVER watched on music.

Anyway I worked on this track for a really long time now and I want to send it out to labels, but first I’d like to know if you think there is anything, anything at all no matter how minor that you think I should change in the song before I send it out to labels. (I also shortened it a lot so that the guys at labels won’t be like woah! 9 minutes, delete)

Decebal - Vengeace (Demo Edit)

Also a few questions if you don’t mind

-should I get it mastered before sending it out? I heard that some labels don’t like that because they like to here it neutral but idk

-How do I get rid of that metallic sound on the rise at 3:03

-Does 1:25 to 2:05 drag on too much for a demo submission?

-The verse riff (not the main one, the bassier one) at 2:05, it kind’ve distracts me but if I remove it that part seems empty and ackward should I leave it like that?

-Too much white noise on the main part?

Thank you so much for your time again

First off it sounds very similar to the original… i think your prob would be there that any one off here could do something that sounds identical. so say yyou do sign it then another guy off here follows the same formula you have 2 tracks that sounds the same.

I would have a look at some of the sounds from the psytrance course and see if you can mix it up a bit.

other than that it sounds cool and the melodies are nice… i would have a bit more reverb on your main riff, sounds a tad dry, and yeah theres a bit too much white noise… i was never really 100% happy with it on the tutorial myself.

have a listen to some sean tyas or Armin stuff for how much reverb in the different places

[quote]phil johnston (20/07/2011)[hr]First off it sounds very similar to the original… i think your prob would be there that any one off here could do something that sounds identical. so say yyou do sign it then another guy off here follows the same formula you have 2 tracks that sounds the same.

I would have a look at some of the sounds from the psytrance course and see if you can mix it up a bit.

other than that it sounds cool and the melodies are nice… i would have a bit more reverb on your main riff, sounds a tad dry, and yeah theres a bit too much white noise… i was never really 100% happy with it on the tutorial myself.

have a listen to some sean tyas or Armin stuff for how much reverb in the different places

[/quote]

Yea looking back at it I should’ve added more into the pot, just didn’t want to stray too much because what I used to do sounded alright but usually derailed too much from the main idea, your right though. Yea i’ll take a look at the psytrance vid, the tech trance,a nd some of my old songs and mix something in thanks :D.

Ok i’ll add more reverb and clean up the white noise, I just wasn’t sure if it was just me, thanks again phil :P.

Structurally though is it fine for a demo? as in length and the lengths of segments? I am just worried they won’t listen to it fully

so here is the new version I fixed a lot of things and added A LOT of new things so let me know if you think there are any problems with this one, thanks

Decebal - Vengeance (Demo Edit)

I was messing around with the reverb too today and I set it “Concert Hall” on Lexicon, its actually SO much better! I didn’t understand exactly what you meant at first, also it got rid of that annoying metallic noise. Thank you :stuck_out_tongue: