Determining Pitch of Percussive Elements

Hey,br
br
I haven’t found a very good tutorial on how to determine the pitch of percussion elements. Is there a best way to do this? Ive been doing it by ear so far, but Im wondering if there are other, possibly easier and more accurate ways. br
br
Ive been told you can use a spectrum analyzer, but even then I see that these elements have a lot of spread in their melodic content. br
br
Thanks! br

if you create a band on your EQ, with a very high cue then run through the frequencies you’ll be able to tell where the main frequencies of the sample are, then work it out from there. that would be my plan of attack

melodyne?

If you use a spectrum analyser, set it to it’s highest resolution (in ableton it’s block size, if using Span change mode to High-Res), then look for the lowest, most prominent freq. This can be tricky because usually there are lower freq than the actual tone. But there will usually be a freq which is poking out further than other freq. br
br
But remember this method is only an approximation, which can be wrong depending on the FFT size of the spectrum analyser, and just because Fourier Transforms (the maths that converts the sound to a spectrum) isn’t a total picture. You may have to use your ears to get it perfectly, but that will take practice.