Different tempos

Hey im trying to incorporate some vocals to a song that at 130bpm but the vocals were recorded at 90bpm What do i do so the vocals dont sound sped up!

What Program are you using?

I’ve never done any timestretching myself - never needed to…

But with live - couldn’t you set up Warp Markers?

I’ve got Logic - I usually make something into an Apple loop if I have to & just drag it in - its usually AOK.

Other option would be to chop the vocal up into its words & place each on the grid the way you want. You could actually change the phrasing this way & keep the original pitch.

Maybe someone else could chip in - as I said, I’ve not really had much experience in doing this :slight_smile:

Time stretching vocals that much in my book is a giant NO NO! Unless you are going for an unnatural sounding vocal then go for it. However, there is no way to accomplish what you are trying to do and make them sound natural. I have a trained ear and I can hear the difference between 3 bpm… let alone 40! :w00t:

My opinion??? Get different vocals.

[quote]icn (12/05/2010)[hr]What Program are you using?

I’ve never done any timestretching myself - never needed to…

But with live - couldn’t you set up Warp Markers?

I’ve got Logic - I usually make something into an Apple loop if I have to& just drag it in - its usually AOK.

Other option would be to chop the vocal up into its words & place each on the grid the way you want. You could actually change the phrasing this way & keep the original pitch.

Maybe someone else could chip in - as I said, I’ve not really had much experience in doing this :)[/quote]

Im using Ableton

[quote]howiegroove (12/05/2010)[hr]Time stretching vocals that much in my book is a giant NO NO! Unless you are going for an unnatural sounding vocal then go for it. However, there is no way to accomplish what you are trying to do and make them sound natural. I have a trained ear and I can hear the difference between 3 bpm… let alone 40! :w00t:

My opinion??? Get different vocals.[/quote]

Damn i cant its for a ****en remix competition :smiley: yeah i can tell too.

Do an Akon - Alvin & The Chipmunks version.

:smiley:

on of the best way of stretching out a tempo like that would be to chop he vocals first. Then change the tempo of the track. After that try to time fit the vocals with time stretch in the grids. First of all this takes a lot of time to master it but if you success you will be able to not sacrifice so mug the quality of the sound. Also remember that using a reverberations to glue things up is very important. This is one of the reasons that I edit my music directly with the audio clips. Its easy to se what you doing. I hope that helps: )

just because its a remix, doesnt mean that you have to have the full vocal phrases in your music. chop it up and glitch it out!

Next time, choose something that fits your tempo. If you want to do a remix and its 90bpm, you might be able to get away with dubstep, but definately D&B and hip hop.

You can do this still but it’s a challenge. Firstly during the main beef of your track try to just use stabs/short ad libs but for your breakdown, (here’s the tricky part) bring your tempo down so as to give an effect it’s cutting to the original. Then cleverly produce to to speed up back in the drop.

Example of this can be found here where DONS did a similar challenge with a slow vocal, worked out really well:

http://D O N S vs Jocelyn Brown .Somebody elses guy. 2009 remix - YouTube

Also I think Gramaphondzie did a similar thing:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpSz66Cu0Cc]Gramophonedzie - Why Don't You? OFFICIAL HD VIDEO - YouTube

Thanks guys ill combine all your Tips i had a dream i was making the track so i got it layed out preety well now :smiley: