Disco house sample filtering

Hi everyone,

If anyone’s been watching the disco loops tutorial or been producing disco house please could you help?

I know it’s about clever sampling, but most samples used in disco house use a lot of filtering but the effect in most tracks in consistent across the board. Haven’t been able to quite get it right.

So far using Live’s Auto Filter, I’ve added a High Pass then another using a Low Pass and on the LP, added some resonance with LFO and altering the Spin setting to give it movement. It sounds OK but not quite right. Can anyone throw a few pointers?

Someone told me Fabfilter is good but haven’t got it yet.

Thank you all :slight_smile:

pay for a filter, try some demos

the fabfilter is good, also the sonalksis filter

I love fabfilter, but you don’t need a different filter to get an effect. The auto filter and EQ8 can create any sound you want (but not EQ3 though, I find it makes things sound muddy).

All digital EQs sound the same.

[quote]TheAnt (02/06/2011)[hr]

All digital EQs sound the same.[/quote]

I don’t agree, particularly when you’re boosting EQ.

[quote]Roben (02/06/2011)[hr][quote]TheAnt (02/06/2011)[hr]

All digital EQs sound the same.[/quote]

I don’t agree, particularly when you’re boosting EQ.[/quote]

No, it is a point of contention. Take a look at this, it is really interesting (although I am not saying this is the last word of this subject)

http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=361

There are some comments at the bottom by Dave Gamble who designs EQ for Sonalksis and Focusrite who basically says that the only place they are different is right at the top end. In fact he says “For mid frequencies, you’re absolutely right that you shouldn’t expect to see any differences”.

The point is, for the OP, getting a new EQ won’t solve his problem - he needs to keep plugging away working out how to get the right sound.

There is nothing more down heartening than thinking you don’t have the right tools for the job