Distortion.?!

I was just wondering what you guys did with distortion. Is it a big part of your basses/leads. Not at all? If you have any tips this would be a good thread to share them.

Also, what are some good distortion/overdrive/saturation/waveshaper plug-ins? Currently I have the TAL Bitcrusher, which I swear by (it’s free too, google it) and Ohmicide Multiband Distortion, which is awesome but a total CPU hog.

something ive been using on my electro productions that i’d swear by should be a default for every electro/dubstep producer, is a tip deadmau5 was kind enough to share. basically you get your bassline, gain the hell out of it so your clipping a lot, bus it to a limiter track and raising the noise floor of that bussed limiter with some ambient sound. basically it reshapes the waveform to an almost perfect block, well thats the idea. sounds fat as hell! hope this is of use!

kris

Usually on my bass tones well i haven’t really finished a song but im building my re-sample folder up at the moment i really like using a chain full of ableton Plug ins not only for distortion but for modulation i like using the Chorus because it makes the sound brighter followed by a saturator because after a chorus is applied it loses some of its body i like to drive it completely on the saturator and add some color (I mixdown as i go so the bass is not at 0db), i often follow it up with a compressor and compress the **** out of it and some EQ to bring it out thats just my chain for simple distortion but effective yeah but just a tip well from what i like to do is after i apply an effect like chorus or phaser i follow it with a saturator to bring back the body of the sound although sometimes i dont do it with the phaser cuz the phaser can make a bassline sound huge and i like that (no homo), then some vynyl distortion is always good…and the overdrive is amazing for anything

For 3rd party plugins i love using CamelPhat i apply a little by time what i also like is that it can be used for modulation too…Also the WOW Filter on Bandreject mode that by itself adds some high end and the vowel mode is amazing…Cyanide 2 as a waves shaper (its free) its really good you can really change the sound with that…and a combination of PSP Vintage warmer and PSP Nitro…and at times i like using guitar rig.

Guess my tips out of all this are.

1.Add a saturator after a chorus or phaser to add the Body it lost back to the sound

2.Add little distortion at a time.

3.Not only the distortion fx can make the sound huge also EQ, filters, Delay, reverb…etc

[quote]krisroberts (28/01/2011)[hr]something ive been using on my electro productions that i’d swear by should be a default for every electro/dubstep producer, is a tip deadmau5 was kind enough to share. basically you get your bassline, gain the hell out of it so your clipping a lot, bus it to a limiter track and raising the noise floor of that bussed limiter with some ambient sound. basically it reshapes the waveform to an almost perfect block, well thats the idea. sounds fat as hell! hope this is of use!

kris[/quote]

i wish i could do this but i dont understand you… i gained the bass and then do you drop a limiter on the same channel? i did that then i got a wierd sound but i clearly wasnt doin it right :S could u explain it a bit better because i dont get what you mean by bus it to a limiter and raising the noise floor? im using the ableton limiter

[quote]deanmau5 (28/01/2011)[hr][quote]krisroberts (28/01/2011)[hr]something ive been using on my electro productions that i’d swear by should be a default for every electro/dubstep producer, is a tip deadmau5 was kind enough to share. basically you get your bassline, gain the hell out of it so your clipping a lot, bus it to a limiter track and raising the noise floor of that bussed limiter with some ambient sound. basically it reshapes the waveform to an almost perfect block, well thats the idea. sounds fat as hell! hope this is of use!

kris[/quote]

i wish i could do this but i dont understand you… i gained the bass and then do you drop a limiter on the same channel? i did that then i got a wierd sound but i clearly wasnt doin it right :S could u explain it a bit better because i dont get what you mean by bus it to a limiter and raising the noise floor? im using the ableton limiter[/quote]

[url]- YouTube

[url]- YouTube

subject 1 nailed it, thats where i learnt it. the noisefloor however i learnt that bit from an article on deadmau5. really good interview!

its on my blog check it out, its a cool blog even if i do say so myself :slight_smile:

Good find on the vid. It’s good to see the creativity that goes into sound creation. Almost abusing it.

Loving it.