DJ Mix levels

Can someone let me know if they have any experience of this:br
br
I am recording my mixes using CD decks, going into an an old analogue mixer, the Gemini 626.br
br
I have a cable going from the ‘Record Out’ output of the mixer, straight into my audio interface. br
br
I am recording the mixes into Audacity.br
br
The problem i am having is this - even though i am setting the levels of each track exactly the same, according to the meters on the mixer, when i record the mix, the levels are fluctuating loads. So i end up with mixes, where there are big peaks and troughs in the mix, and some tracks are very noticably louder than others.br
br
It is then a problem when i want to raise the level of the overall mix, to compete with todays professional standards. I am strapping a limiter over the entire mix, but the problem is that, to get the quietest tracks in the mix to get anywhere near the level of all the rest, i am having to see gain reduction on the loudest parts of the mix of some 10dB.br
br
So my question is - how come the meters on my analogue mixer tell me that the level of all the tracks is pretty much the same, but when they are recorded into my digital software, the levels of the tracks are so different?br
br
And what do i do about this?br
br
I am thinking that it’s because the meters on my mixer simply aren’t very accurate? It was a very cheap mixer back in the day (only about £150), so i guess this is pretty likely? They must have used cheap components, right?br
br
And in terms of how i can get around this problem - i am thinking the only thing i can do, is match the levels of each track by ear whilst i am mixing, rather than relying on the meters on my mixer?br
br
What does everyone else think?

You could use sonalksis free g as a meter on your record in… It has a rms meter so you get a better idea of “loudness”

Yeah cheers Phil might download that and use it to help.br
br
Any idea why the mixer says the levels are consistent, but the levels are all over the place in the digital domain?br
br
Do you think the meters on the mixer are just really inaccurate?

Its probably the mixer giving false readings, but its always best to mix by ear rather than relying on levels to tell you how “loud” something is as there might be a particular instrument in the track thats making it peak, whereas the rest of the sounds are generally quieter because of it…

Yeah you’re right, i think it is definately that the meters on my cheap mixer are not very accurate!br
br
This has been a real eye-opener though - i always just presumed they would be very accurate!br
br
Anyhow, for my next mix, like you say i am going to try and mix mostly be ear, rather than relying on the meters so much. Hopefully this will solve the problem.br
br
Although now that i have become aware of this issue, my thinking is that i might invest in a new mixer, a more expensive one that hopefully has more accurate metering.br
br
Like i said, this whole thing has been an eye-opener, and i’m thinking now that cheap mixers might not be a good idea as there metering is quite simply poor?

Yeah I used to think the same tbh Dave. Ive always had Pioneer equipment and just expected it to always sound like it did but then I used a friend’s Gemini mixer and to be blunt, it was ****e! lolbr
br
The bass on it was really dull, high’s seriously over-hyped and the mids sounded like you were underwater, no real clarity at all.br
br
It depends what sort of budget you have and how often you are going to use them, but I would definitely recommend going for something a little more established like Pioneer or Vestax over the cheaper ones like Gemini and Behringer. br
br
Best thing to do is visit a music store and try some out! :wink:

Yes, what is interesting, is that the bass cut on the cheap mixer i have now (Gemini 626 Mark 2), is **** in that there is a massive and noticable leap in the volume of the bass at a certain point when you start to move the rotary around from the full bass cutoff, to bringing in more bass.br
br
It’s so extreme, that it means i have to bring in tracks with some of the bass already playing if i want to do a slower bass blend between the two tracks, otherwise when i slowly turn the bass dial, the volume of the bass suddenly jumps right up, and it sounds ****!br
br
So i think i definately need to invest in a new mixer!br
br
I am currently doing demo mixes to send to people who promote clubnights, to try and get gigs, so my mixes need to be flawless!br
br
So clearly this mixer is not going to help me to do my best possible mixes!

You’d be surprised actually. I used to run a club night and tbh I preferred listening to people making a few minor errors, rather than it being a flawless mix as it made it sound more human, instead of a compilation. :hehe:br
br
I defo reckon you need to look into getting a better mixer though br
br
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-DJM-600-4-Channel-Mixer-with-effects-/171143130174?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Mixershash=item27d8ecec3ebr
br
:Dbr
br

yeah the meters on the mixer could be measuring a particular freq or something…br
br
also RMS will give you a much better idea of overall loudness than a peak meter.

The irony is that the week before i did this mix where i noticed the levels on my mixer seemed to be way out, i had spent a couple of hours DJing at my mates party, and he is a pretty successful DJ so he has a top of the range Allen Heath - so nice to work with!br
br
And although i was pretty hammered at the party by the time i started DJing and using the mixer, i do remember that the metering and the EQ’s on his mixer seemed mint. And i think the metering has at least an extra 3 or 4 LED lights to measure the volume - that in itself would make his mixer more accurate and informative when it comes to trying to get the volume of each track as equal as possible.br
br
Think he paid about £1k for his mixer though - mine was £150!

You can pick up a second hand DJM 600 for about £200 + now mate and that would be more than good enough for what you want to do.

DJMs dont sound that great tbh… theres a guy who puts the mixer path of the allen and heath in to the DJMs… sounds great… thats what we used in Shine/Stiff Kitten in Belfast back in th eday.

What mixer would you recommend then Phil?br
br
I have this mate that i mentioned before who has his Allen and Heath, then i have another mate who is also a pretty successful DJ and he swears by his Allen and Heath as well!br
br
Do you think Allen and Heath sound the best?br
br
And did you used to put on your own nights Phil?

I’ve never used an Allen Heath so cant comment on how well they sound. But why would almost every club I’ve been to/played at use Pioneer over Allen Heath Phil? They’re both in the same price bracket so cant be from a cost perspective.

[quote]davidmclean (10/10/2013)[hr]What mixer would you recommend then Phil?br
br
I have this mate that i mentioned before who has his Allen and Heath, then i have another mate who is also a pretty successful DJ and he swears by his Allen and Heath as well!br
br
Do you think Allen and Heath sound the best?br
br
And did you used to put on your own nights Phil?[/quote]br
br
The allen and heath sounded better than the DJM 500/600 the 800 is all digital which sounded clean but not particularly warm. the AH Filters and eqs are great.br
br
We where shine/stiff kitten residents for a few years.br

When I play my monthly night they have the Pioneernbsp;DJM-800 and the Aamp;H Xone 92. The Aamp;H does sound much better than the Pioneer, you don’t need to even hear them back to back. It isn’t that I notice the Pioneer sounds bad, it doesn’t,nbsp;but I do notice how good the Aamp;H sounds every time I use it.PThat said, if I am in early and the Aamp;H is set up, I will get the engineer to switch it for the Pioneer. I would like the improved sound quality, but the effects and colour on the Pioneer is more important (I also like the fader curves but that might just be because I choose the 800 more often)./PPI’ve used the DJM-900 a couple of places and itnbsp;has improved the sound over the 800 notably, and I think the DJM-850 is the same but I have not used it./PP[quote]en1gma (12/10/2013)[hr]I’ve never used an Allen amp; Heath so cant comment on how well they sound. But why would almost every club I’ve been to/played at use Pioneer over Allen amp; Heath Phil? They’re both in the same price bracket so cant be from a cost perspective.[/quote]

Hey guys.br
br
Listen my mixes : https://soundcloud.com/marc-karsten/marc-karsten-this-is-a-drug-3?in=marc-karsten/sets/this-is-a-drug-podcastbr
br
Nice Stereo Out lvl right ?br
br
I record it with 2*cdj850 + Xone:42br
br
When you mix you need to work on 3 tips.br
1- tempobr
2- Eqbr
3- Gain (lvl)br
br
For this 3 part, you need to use ur ears…br
br
You know, when i go in night club to listen some one. I listen this, his tracks sure.br
But if his gain (lvl) are horrible all is horrible ; Drop, Eq… So its verry importante that you listen, you ! your music when you mix.br
br
I every time do like that :br
-Fast Tempo work.br
-Gain(Lvl)br
-Tempo Work Perfectbr
-Eqbr
-Up Faderbr
-Care Gain(lvl), Who are more precise on speaker than on the headphone.br
-Fader up Maximum.br
-Eq Work + Filtrer on xone.br
-Fader down br
-Finishbr
br
I have a vidéo if you you prefer wath than listen :br
-- YouTube
br
My lvl is pretty good i think. I do all very fast and make all right in general at the first time. But i mix thince 5 years now.br
br
Drop the vidéo at 21 and listen the kick coming @21’40’'br
Imagine if my lvl are bad lol. One i explose ur ears, 2 my effect is fail.br
br
Anyway, after my recording, to have something more clean, i normalize in audacity. I select all the mix, audio = Normalize (i think this way) not more than 3dB, if your mix isnt clean with 3db dont try more and progress on the gain.br
br
Edit : What mixer would you recommend then Phil?br
br
Phil i dont know.br
But i recommend youbr
Mixer : Xone for sure. Easier to record. Super Filtrer general Quality.br
Why not Rodec, Amazing sound but no fonction, and a bit expensive.br
br
Player :br
Cdj 850 and +br
Never buy Denon (bad stuff) Always buy Pionnier for the moment.br
Stanton not so bad for Turnable. But minimum 600e