Djs who hires Producers

well this is another Threat for those Djs who think that are the hot **** and they think that they can buy everything with money , Producers , Composers , Sound Ingenieers.ETC

at the end the track sounds like crap still but the production sound impeccable thanks to the sound Ingenieers of course

is this Cheating ? are they supposed to call themselves producers? are they supposed to give at least credit to the Originall Producers?

whats your thoughts about this ?

i’ll bite. but this is about both productions & parties…

call me jaded. call me whatever… but i can’t stand it.

it just pisses me off to the point where I want to strangle them.

IMO… performing live is gunna be the future of events. djing is a dying craft.

i know that my experience as a promoter makes me very jaded towards DJs.

I can’t stand when DJs claim to be the “heart of the scene” or “revolutionary”…

and really they are just playing somebody else’s sh*t.

i started producing a few months ago because I love music and I love writing music.

i always played guitar… i am just taking it to a new platform.

dance music has changed my life in so many ways that I decided I want to make it my life.

since that time… i havnt really gone out much. I spend all my time writing & recording…

I see on facebook all these DJs that I know claiming tonight is the best party on earth at jo-shmoe bar…

its to the point where I have to not go on facebook on the weekends so I dont see all the crap.

it makes me glad im not doing parties anymore because I dont have to sell em all the time anymore.

i did everything as a promoter… media, bookings, management, promotions, all of it.

and when I did parties i booked REAL producer/djs (chris lake, John acquaviva, robbie rivera, sean tyas, tom colontonio to name a few… ) and I got a chance 2 talk to all of them and see what made them so successful. its literally 1 thing… great productions.

so to me when I made the choice to switch my paths it was cause I wanted to produce.

the idea of DJing in clubs EVERY weekend is very unattractive to me unless I got to do it the way I wanted to do it, in the place that I wanted to do it. doing it for 30 people in some crap bar on a thursday is not exactly going to make me go crazy. i worked as a photographer during my career as a promoter and met like half the djs on the list… I know what a real party is… and most DJs dont come close it ever in their lives.

producers will always have the leg up on DJs. & being a great producer is a fulltime job.

what does appeal to me is being able to perform live… Acts like Glitch Mob, Infected Mushroom, Deadmau, Justice, Daft Punk and others along these lines are going in the direction of the future. Live Performing is what will separate DJs even further in the future because only the people producing will have the skill set to make it happen.

I believe that Djs that never devote themselves to producing will be lost in the masses.

djs are a dime a dozen. and their are plenty of **** productions out there…

but great productions is what will put you many levels above any DJ. in so many ways.

sorry for the rant… but in the end…

if you don’t produce, you can’t perform live, and you wont be able to hack it with the next generation of artists & musicians that are going to become the main attraction.

I think your right bout that mate.

Not sure DJing will die out tho, I think it will evolve into a sorta richie hawtin type thing.

[quote]onetwoseven (26/08/2010)[hr]I think your right bout that mate.

Not sure DJing will die out tho, I think it will evolve into a sorta richie hawtin type thing.[/quote]

oh don’t get me wrong… its not gunna die out… maby you i used the wrong words…

Its kinda like vinyl versus cds. people still do it… but cds are the standard now…

in a few more years… laptops will be the standard for DJs… we see the trend happening now.

there will always be people “performing” as DJs… there is skill & a need for it…

BUT IMO… the biggest acts & most popular acts (getting paid the most $) will be acts that do live performances… I mean that trend is already really starting to happen now… Justice, Daft punk, Infected, Deadmau all do their music with ableton live… and now you have acts like Glitch Mob paving the way… for a new generation of artists… and they all get paid a ridiculous ammount of money & sell-out huge venues…

i know that you guys in Europe prob see stadiums all the time (but we dont in the US).

there are only a few of artists that could pull it off in the states. Daft Punk…

Ive seen guys like tiesto & PVD sell out a room, but also parties where there is plenty of seats left when they are playing.

To sell out a stadium in the states you have to have a festival like:

Made Event presents Electric Zoo, New York's Electronic Music Festival

However every party I have been too with Infected, Deadmau5, Justice & Daft Punk (i’ve seen them all in either Philly or NYC) has been a complete sell-out. packed to the brim.

its definitely the trend I am seeing here in the states. at least for events.

so quality producers will have a leg-up on all DJs when it comes to performing…

so take some confort in knowing that eventually you will be pissing on the guy that pays 4 productions

also I was thinking about this on lunch break...

DJs are essential.. every producer needs DJs to play their music. or else they will get lost as well.

how else is anybody gunna make any money making music if people don't play it.

i'd love a beatport top 10 track just for the cash & prestige you get from it. who wouldnt...

so we need them... just as much as they need us to make the music they play.

@ UnitedVIsion

i hear you brother , i feel the same way too even though me coming from a DJ background.

Unfortunately in the Music Industry .being Talented is not enough.

seeing some Douchebag Dj say that his track was played in a Famous Dj podcast and call themselves the best DJs around. kind of touch a nerve in my back .

it pisses me off of course when people try to buy their success with money .

I wonder how much he will last hiring those Producers . :smiley:

[quote]alinenunez (26/08/2010)[hr]well this is another Threat for those Djs who think that are the hot **** and they think that they can buy everything with money , Producers , Composers , Sound Ingenieers.ETC

at the end the track sounds like crap still but the production sound impeccable thanks to the sound Ingenieers of course

is this Cheating ? are they supposed to call themselves producers? are they supposed to give at least credit to the Originall Producers?

whats your thoughts about this ?[/quote]

it doesn’t bother me and it shouldn’t bother you or anyone to be fair. money can buy everything when it comes to this sort of thing.

for instance if you have enough cash to put on a show (i’ve known a person to have done this by the way) you can

1. Pay for a producer to produce a bunch of tracks for you.
  2. Pay for a session singer to sing over a bunch of your tracks.
  3. Pay for release’s on big major labels
  4. hire venues and hire big name dj’s just to headline above them to boost your dj profile.
  5. Pay well know dj’s to play sets for radio stations for you.

I’m not going to name and shame the guy because he’s a good friend of mine but one guy i know spent over £50k in his first year of being a “dj/producer”

[quote]jon_fisher (29/08/2010)[hr][quote]alinenunez (26/08/2010)[hr]well this is another Threat for those Djs who think that are the hot **** and they think that they can buy everything with money , Producers , Composers , Sound Ingenieers.ETC

it doesn’t bother me and it shouldn’t bother you or anyone to be fair. money can buy everything when it comes to this sort of thing.

for instance if you have enough cash to put on a show (i’ve known a person to have done this by the way) you can

4. hire venues and hire big name dj’s just to headline above them to boost your dj profile.

I’m not going to name and shame the guy because he’s a good friend of mine but one guy i know spent over £50k in his first year of being a “dj/producer”

[/quote]

I know he’s your ‘friend’, but… what a mug.

Clearly should be putting his money into something a bit more worthwhile other than trying to pull wool over peoples eyes because he clearly doesn’t have enough talent to shine through without the BS.

[quote]jon_fisher (29/08/2010)[hr][quote]alinenunez (26/08/2010)[hr]well this is another Threat for those Djs who think that are the hot **** and they think that they can buy everything with money , Producers , Composers , Sound Ingenieers.ETC

[/quote]

Jon you’ve hit the nail ont he head there - and also just described every single boy/girl pop band out at the moment or from the past. It’s a fact of life.

More fool the general public for lapping this tat up - they’re the bigger idiots out there… these guys are just playing the game.

[quote]roben (29/08/2010)[hr][quote]jon_fisher (29/08/2010)[hr][quote]alinenunez (26/08/2010)[hr]well this is another Threat for those Djs who think that are the hot **** and they think that they can buy everything with money , Producers , Composers , Sound Ingenieers.ETC

[/quote]

Clearly should be putting his money into something a bit more worthwhile other than trying to pull wool over peoples eyes because he clearly doesn’t have enough talent to shine through without the BS.[/quote]

Trust me it doesn’t bother me as much as it bothers him and like i’ve said why worry about these people, as long as you’re enjoying what you’re doing then that’s all that counts.

it’s not like he’s stealing anything from you.

[quote]jon_fisher (29/08/2010)[hr][quote]roben (29/08/2010)[hr][quote]jon_fisher (29/08/2010)[hr][quote]alinenunez (26/08/2010)[hr]well this is another Threat for those Djs who think that are the hot **** and they think that they can buy everything with money , Producers , Composers , Sound Ingenieers.ETC

[/quote]

Clearly should be putting his money into something a bit more worthwhile other than trying to pull wool over peoples eyes because he clearly doesn’t have enough talent to shine through without the BS.[/quote]

Trust me it doesn’t bother me as much as it bothers him and like i’ve said why worry about these people, as long as you’re enjoying what you’re doing then that’s all that counts.

it’s not like he’s stealing anything from you.[/quote]

I guess you are right , i Shouldnt get upset because their incompetence and lack of talent can be excused with money .

but yeahh it was one of those time when those kind of Djs brags ho good they are producing and how many famous Djs played his track .

but i still disagree that they can buy talent with money .

. but that’s just my Opinion :slight_smile:

sure thing money will never make someone talented but it can buy talent just not necessarily your own lol. how i see it is doesn’t matter if they use a ghost producer or not at the end of the day its still just another man producing the music and i have just as much chance to compete with him for record sales.

also if i make great tracks a get released on good labels i know i’ve done it by my own talent and hard work. I’m probably the least naturally talented person i know at this sort of thing but i love it and i’ll continue to work at it.

[quote]UnitedVision (26/08/2010)[hr][quote]onetwoseven (26/08/2010)[hr]I think your right bout that mate.

Not sure DJing will die out tho, I think it will evolve into a sorta richie hawtin type thing.[/quote]

i know that you guys in Europe prob see stadiums all the time (but we dont in the US).

there are only a few of artists that could pull it off in the states. Daft Punk…

However every party I have been too with Infected, Deadmau5, Justice & Daft Punk (i’ve seen them all in either Philly or NYC) has been a complete sell-out. packed to the brim.

[/quote]

Man are you right about the US market. There are very few cities that even have a big market for this. I’d say LA, Miami, and NY are all that there really are. Also, don’t leave out WMC. Man what a great event. I use to live in Miami and didn’t even need tickets because my condo was right infront of Bayside. Great times. Anyway, United you said Philly & NY. You must be local in the tri state area. I am right outside of Philly. Let me know if you do any shows and we’ll gather some supporters. Philly has to be one of the hardest places on earth to promote original music.

[quote]jon_fisher (29/08/2010)[hr]sure thing money will never make someone talented but it can buy talent just not necessarily your own lol. how i see it is doesn’t matter if they use a ghost producer or not at the end of the day its still just another man producing the music and i have just as much chance to compete with him for record sales.

also if i make great tracks a get released on good labels i know i’ve done it by my own talent and hard work. I’m probably the least naturally talented person i know at this sort of thing but i love it and i’ll continue to work at it.

[/quote]

This is spot on Jon! +1

Me and you both bro.