Drum Rack Attack!

Is there a way to split all drum rack elements onto separate tracks after making a pattern? There is a similar option in Logic…

Ha! I found a way! If anyone else doesn’t know and would like to know:

Once you are happy with a drum pattern that you’ve made in a drum rack and would like to separate the channels onto different tracks for ease when arranging. Click on each channel individually and choose extract chains. :slight_smile:

Nice one Gav… I’m trying to totally switch over to Live from Logic atm…

Know my way around it good enough - but theres so much I need to learn about it.

Spending a bit of time now, just reading the manual & watching as many vids as poss.

Cheers for that Man. Thats something I was actually wondering about.

Ney bother! Been bugging me for a while that, can’t believe the answer was staring me in the face!

Switching to Ableton is definitely the "Logic"cal choice!! Oooooooo … the worst joke of 2011 goes to … Gav!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Well… For me its a case of preferring the “sound” of Live over Logic.

Logic is extremely clean sounding… something which you wouldnt think should be an issue - but I spend 1/2 my time in Logic wondering how to dirty stuff up.

Live just seems to have a bit of grit to it - to my ears anyway. Its more pleasing to listen to. Less sterile. That & the FX are great.

Only thing that I’m having problems with really now is the workflow… getting used to the different screens / views / automation etc… I still prefer the way the Logic channels are set up, and the Mixer… and the arrange… but I’m going to get over that :smiley:

Gonna get a set of editorskeys for Live today… so that will help make some things quicker.

GROUPS are the key to me for arrangements & sections. grouping like sounds together to make your whole project collapsible to a half dozen groups makes organization easier. it also makes it easier to find sounds and work on a particular section of the song.

also I tend to keep an FX audio track on the first track level above drums. this is mostly so that when I actually drag an audio sample from session view into arrangement view that I don't have to hunt around through 80 channels to find the audio track im looking for. i just drop it into the first channel at the top everytime. it seems to make things easier.

Yeah… the way groups are set in Live are v.good. 

You can do the same thing-ish in Logic - With Folders… But it just groups the tracks, rather than the routing. Live is quicker & more intuitive in that way.

Love the way in live you can drag stuff into the group - or out of the group - and the routing changes automatically.

I found this video on slicing your own samples to a drum rack interesting. :slight_smile:

[url]http://juanlittledevil.com/JLD/2011/05/building-drum-kits-fast-and-efficiently/[/url]

[quote]5id (30/06/2011)[hr]I found this video on slicing your own samples to a drum rack interesting. :slight_smile:

[url]http://juanlittledevil.com/JLD/2011/05/building-drum-kits-fast-and-efficiently/[/url]

[/quote]

Lovely find fella, there’s some cracking gems and nuggets to be found on that site! :slight_smile:

[quote]gavisthename (01/07/2011)[hr][quote]5id (30/06/2011)[hr]I found this video on slicing your own samples to a drum rack interesting. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Lovely find fella, there’s some cracking gems and nuggets to be found on that site! :-)[/quote]

I had watched it a couple of weeks ago but forgot to bookmark the page but when i saw the drumrack post i was determined to find it after numerous unsuccessful searches that were leading me to bounce my mac off all four walls.:stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah! Fairplay his free Ableton mastering strip is cool beans!! :slight_smile:

[quote]5id (30/06/2011)[hr]I found this video on slicing your own samples to a drum rack interesting. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Nice find Sid

I noticed in the guys drum rack tutorial he mentioned the “choke” option … can anyone expand on this? When one sound plays, another gets choked?

WOW! The granular synthesis ableton device is amazing!! Loads of fun!!! Get on that Sheeeeeet!! :smiley:

[quote]gavisthename (01/07/2011)[hr]I noticed in the guys drum rack tutorial he mentioned the “choke” option … can anyone expand on this? When one sound plays, another gets choked?[/quote]

Good for hi-hats so when an open hat plays the closed hat can’t play.

You can get some nice results with placing a closed hat with low velocity just after an open hat.

Here is an explanation [url]Ableton tutorial: using Drum Racks choking feature - YouTube

There was a good tutorial on ghosting hats on this blog [url]http://djfrobot.blogspot.com/2010/05/off-hit-high-hats-ghost-notes.html[/url]

[quote]gavisthename (01/07/2011)[hr]WOW! The granular synthesis ableton device is amazing!! Loads of fun!!! Get on that Sheeeeeet!! :D[/quote]

Yep great fun

[quote]5id (01/07/2011)[hr][quote]gavisthename (01/07/2011)[hr]I noticed in the guys drum rack tutorial he mentioned the “choke” option … can anyone expand on this? When one sound plays, another gets choked?[/quote]

Good for hi-hats so when an open hat plays the closed hat can’t play.

You can get some nice results with placing a closed hat with low velocity just after an open hat.

Here is an explanation [url]Ableton tutorial: using Drum Racks choking feature - YouTube

There was a good tutorial on ghosting hats on this blog [url]http://djfrobot.blogspot.com/2010/05/off-hit-high-hats-ghost-notes.html[/url][/quote]

Tidy! Cheers 5id, totally cleared that one up for me! :slight_smile:

[quote]gavisthename (30/06/2011)[hr]Ha! I found a way! If anyone else doesn’t know and would like to know:

Once you are happy with a drum pattern that you’ve made in a drum rack and would like to separate the channels onto different tracks for ease when arranging. Click on each channel individually and choose extract chains. :)[/quote]

nice one. thats a really good tip or trick!:wink: