Encouraging feedback from other members

Hi Phil,br
br
Just wanted to say - do you think it would be a good thing to try and encourage more active feedback from members on other peoples tracks on this forum?br
br
Reason i say this, is when i post my tracks for feedback on the site, usually loads of people listen, but it normally takes me posting a second message almost begging people for feedback for anyone to leave a single comment!br
br
I think we need to try and create a bit more of a culture at Sonic Academy, of loads of members listening to each others tracks and giving help, advice and feedback a bit more.br
br
After all, when you think about it, i guess the section of the forum where people post tracks and get feedback from others, should be the most important and active section of the forum at all - this is what gives direct and highly relevant feedback to aspiring producers and helps them to improve their music the most!br
br
Do you agree? If yes, can we do something to try and encourage more members to post feedback on other members tracks. It seems to be the same few people all the time that leave feedback - what about all the other members you have?

We are working on a new user rating system page and widget (to embed in forums Facebook etc.).br
br
hopefully bringing a little structure and useability will encourage more members to get involved

Sounds good!

Just to chime in here, probably already been mentioned else where, maybe run a small competition over a couple of months, the best track submitted get’s a months membership free, and have it so the same user can’t win several times in a row to give everyone a chance. It could also be modified so the users vote for there favorite instead, but that could be open to fraudulent voting depending on how big SA’s user base is. i.e. the smaller it is the easier for someone to get all there mates to sign up and vote.br
br
In regards to feedback on tracks, I think that a lot of people won’t feel qualified to comment, apart from I like it or I don’t, and that’s just down to taste, which I believe is not relevant for the feedback we are after, although its a nice ego boost.br
br
Carl

As an aspiring producer though, i am very interested in whether people like my tracks or not./PPEven someone who knows virtually nothing about producing, is still qualified to comment. If you like dance music, you can say whether you are getting anything from the track or not./PPIf 20 people all come back and say they don’t like the track, you can safely assume that it’s not a particularly great track!/PPAny feedback is useful. We need to encourage more of a community where lots more people get stuck in and give opinions, comments and feedback.

I understand your sentiment, but lets say I make a DB track, and 10 people say they don’t like it because they like techno, it doesn’t mean its a bad thing and I should move on, it just means there not into it. I recently heard unlike pluto on soundcloud. I love his stuff. I think the sounds he creates are fantastic and quite novel. I have not heard Pirate House before. I’ve played several tracks to family and friends and they don’t like him, but it doesn’t mean hes not good. The most important tool in making music is you and your hearing. It’s all about what a track does to you, and then you just got to hope that other people like what you like. My experience is in dj’ing, and I don’t play songs because there popular, although they might be, I play them because they send shivers down my spine.br
br
I hope this makes sense, and is just my opinion, but probably should be laughed at, as i’m a noob at music making.br
br
Anyway, i’m going to shut up now as I probably sound like a pretentious knob .br
br

the system we are working on will give “raters” a score based on the quality of the feedback they are giving so you will be able to see how relevant their comments are.br
br
Maybe we should have some sort of genre expert thing where they pick a genre they know the most about or something.

So the the producers rate the feedback they have been given by the raters? That is a good idea. Something else I thought might help the new comers is something pinned that gives a suggested order of the tuts, in case they don’t know where to start.

Yeah thats a good idea… we have been thinking about some sort of beginners playlist.

[quote]opmet (19/03/2013)[hr]So the the producers rate the feedback they have been given by the raters? .[/quote]br
br
Yeah so if you leave a well thought out rating the user can give you thumbs… the more you get the more weight your ratings will have on the overall ratings of the track.

phil are you reading the tutorial requests sections?br
br
if you check it out, we are dying for more How To series or anything from the instructors. the artists walk throughs just don’t cut it for many. when i joined it was great to see your emails appear because i knew there would always be new stuff from instructors. now i see an email and im like great another artist walk through or sample library walk through. its cool once in a while to see how a producer approached a track but ive always learned way more with your guys stuff. you are way more thorough and go through each step of track creation and actually explain why u are doing certain things

[quote]phil johnston (19/03/2013)[hr][quote]opmet (19/03/2013)[hr]So the the producers rate the feedback they have been given by the raters? .[/quote]br
br
Yeah so if you leave a well thought out rating the user can give you thumbs… the more you get the more weight your ratings will have on the overall ratings of the track.[/quote]br
br
br
br
Great idea. Look forward to the update :slight_smile:

Anyone in here can give feedback on any track in any genre.br
We are all here to learn to produce. To lift our level of expertise. To get better.br
br
One thing to do just that, is listen carefully to tracks. Tracks that are released can give you a sense on what your end result should sound like. While listening to tracks posted in here, you can try to find what they’re missing, what needs to be done to lift them to that level.br
br
Although I don’t really like db, I still can give feedback on a track. Production wise.

[quote]djcyph (20/03/2013)[hr]phil are you reading the tutorial requests sections?br
br
if you check it out, we are dying for more How To series or anything from the instructors. the artists walk throughs just don’t cut it for many. when i joined it was great to see your emails appear because i knew there would always be new stuff from instructors. now i see an email and im like great another artist walk through or sample library walk through. its cool once in a while to see how a producer approached a track but ive always learned way more with your guys stuff. you are way more thorough and go through each step of track creation and actually explain why u are doing certain things[/quote]br
br
I do agree on this. We have had 2 tutorials “banging electro house” and “glowing in the dark”. Those tutorials are also fine i think. But when they just show pieces here and the etc is not as educating they are more just fun to watch.