Engineer / Producer

What would you say are the main differences between an Engineer and a Producer.

A lot of the times it seems to me like they are different names for almost the same thing, bar subtle differences.

Would you agree or not? What’s your view?

Disagree.

I believe that the engineers sole job is technical, where producers is creative. Yes, they might overlap a bit, but this is general and an opinion.

[quote]howiegroove (1/22/2010)[hr]Disagree.

I believe that the engineers sole job is technical, where producers is creative. Yes, they might overlap a bit, but this is general and an opinion.[/quote]

i was under this impretion to but also wondered what the difference was:)

Heres the idea. I know this as fact.

There are times when a big producer is working on an album. He would employ an engineer to worry more about the technical side of music production for the work. The engineer would run the protools or logic or ableton session and the producer would make the beats, or tell the guitar player what he would want.

I had worked with an sound Ingenieer Before there iwas things that was hard for him to figure it out when we were sequencing .but when  heard him mastering a track , u could tell that he could hear Frequencies that i was not able to and EQ perfectly ( to my ears :))and make everything sounds so awesome and Punchy. way toop different than only sequencing and trying to master with presets lol.

so I think they are more in the Technical part wich i suck at it :hehe:

Yeah I do agree to all that howie, the reason I mentioned is because a lot of producers these days make, finish and release tracks which are professional. So I guess they’re engineers too? But they never call themselves engineers? You don’t see DONS or laidback luke for example saying they’re engineers but effectivly they are really arnt they.

I guess maybe there is a very fine line as well as like howie said, there is a crossover too.

Sometimes, if youre big enough, I’m sure it would be worth it to employ an engineer. If not and youre just making tunes, it might not matter. Im sure there might be deadlines involved as well.

I know Dave Lee aka Joey Negro uses an engineer but from what I could gather in his video is that he’s not to great with the technical stuff.

i think you’ll find that most “producers” these days are jack of all trades were as a engineer is (or should be) great at mixdowns and sometimes mastering, although from my experience mixing engineers and mastering engineers are usually very different in the way they like to work.

in a perfect world we would all be super rich and be able to work with

sound designers

song writers

producers

mix engineers

mastering engineers

lol