EQ before Compression or other way round?

Hey,

I get some conflicting opinion on which way round these should go. I hear compression after EQ as the EQ ‘pushes’ frequencies into the compressor. Im also told ‘why would you get a sound sounding clear and bright only to compress the peaks you have just created’.

Any help anyone?

I know theres different rules for different mixes but there must be a general rule for this.

Thanks, :slight_smile:

The issue really involves what you are trying to accomplish based on the characteristics of your sound. One tune might require an EQ before a compressor. Another might require the opposite. One might even require an EQ then a compressor, then another EQ! Knowing from the start what each tool does and how it can be used to make your mix breathe is really what’s important here as opposed to becoming stuck in one way to do it all the time.

EQs control frequency ranges by either boosting, attenuating, or eliminating selective bands altogether.

Compressors control the natural dynamics of a particular sound or collection of sounds across the spectrum, unless you are using a multi-band compressor, of course.

So I guess the answer to your question is: yes.

The reasoning for “yes”? It depends on what your EARS tell you needs to be done followed by your knowledge and skill with the tool itself.

J

[quote]andy s (25/05/2011)[hr]Hey,

I get some conflicting opinion on which way round these should go. I hear compression after EQ as the EQ ‘pushes’ frequencies into the compressor. Im also told ‘why would you get a sound sounding clear and bright only to compress the peaks you have just created’.

Any help anyone?

so here’ss

I know theres different rules for different mixes but there must be a general rule for this.

Thanks, :)[/quote]

There’s no hard fast rule about this… but I typically EQ before compressing. Before applying compression to a sound, you want to make sure you’re not including frequencies that will muddy up the mix. So for example take a snare hit. I’ll EQ out the low energy to clean the sound up and to get rid of frequencies that I don’t want/need to hear and then compress it to make the frequencies I want to hear to sound tight and crisp.

I would personally just use your ears and use tools in order to reach your end goal of the sound. So if you achieve that sound you are looking for by compressing first the EQing then by all means keep it that way. The biggest thing i struggle with is trying to follow “rules” and I’ve seen it keeps me from making music because I’m too worried about if i’m following the right “procedure” or not.

I know this was something I asked about a few months back so if you do a search in the forums you should be able to find something on it. if you have any additional questions, feel free to post.

Thanks guys

Be experimental and do what YOU think sounds best mate :slight_smile: