EQ & Master Question

hey !

i really cant figure out how to make my bassdrum and bassline work together properly …

in comparison to professional tracks there is always something missing.

although i make drumgroup with psp vintage warmer on etc …

i have been knocking my head against the wall for a long while now but i seem to get it not right …

how do u EQ your sounds properly to really gel them together ?

do you BOOST the lowend in your mixdown or do u leave that for the “self” mastering stage …

and i know that laidback luke always starts a track with his masteringchain ON - this is why everything sounds phat from the beginning from him …

i really like that idea but it seems to me not right - because every track needs its own polishing ?

or should i just put on the masterchain (in the masteringtutorial here on SA) and begin to work from there ?

i mean i dont have fun with making beats because i always think something is missing or sounding not AS phat as it should be … in comparison to my favorite tracks …

i hope anyone could follow me with my english …

cheers …

robi

Theres multiple areas to look at when trying to balance the kick and bass.

1st is the sounds… if the sounds you are using dont sound really good together its best to keep searching through kicks and bass patches/samples untill you get a good fit.

2nd when youve got the sounds matching you can use the sidechain to cut the basss out when the kick hits so you artn overloading the master channel.

3rd Bass enhancers - Waves max bass, rbass and bbe sonic maximizer can all help to thicken up the bass sound but use sparingly as they can very quickly muddy up a mix.

4th Mastering on or off. theres no right answer here… if youve got loads of spare CPU power then having mastering on all the time can work… just be sure you bypass it every once in a while to make sure your not over doing it.

5th Speakers - Good speakers with at least 6" cone (8" preferably) are essential to getting a tight bass. if you arnt hearing the bass reproduced properly out your speakers you cant EQ it properly.