False notes

Hello

since this is my first post on this forum, i should say that i am a newbie on the field of producing. However, i’ve worked myself in during the past 6 months and i thought i had come up with something that doesn’t sound so bad at all.

i made some samples and sent them to a friend of my, who also produces. He told me my samples are bad because there are false notes in it and he kinda broke it all down. As for me, i don’t / can’t hear the false notes :s. Obviously my question is :

How can i know wich notes are false and how do i correct them?

I’ve already watched some sonic academy video tutorials regarding chords and scales, but i can’t figure out how i should apply that knowledge to a melody i’ve already made…:s. I probably sound stupid, but i really do want to know how i can solve these incorrect notes so i can learn more and improve myself in order to eventually make a good, decent track.

You can download both samples of my own ‘production’ here :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S8FEMXAW

Hope anyone can help me…

greetz

By ‘false notes’ i’m wondering whether he means notes that arn’t in scale?

It’s a good idea to brush up on your musical theory, if there are notes that arn’t in key with each other they can cause problems and sound a bit odd. I used to have this problem before learning the theory, after learning though it’s helped a lot.

You say you’ve already seen this

[url=http://www.sonicacademy.com/Live+Recording/Course/?contentId=2944&bt=Videos]http://www.sonicacademy.com/Live+Recording/Course/?contentId=2944&bt=Videos[/url]

Try to find out the ‘key’ of your track, you’ll know which is your key because if you play a piano next to it, it’s the key that you can continuinly play throughout the track without it sounding weird.

Then look at your scale, maybe print out something from google that shows you the scale of whatever key your in, C or G# for example (you will also want to find out whether your in major or minor). Then you can see which keys you can use and which you can’t. Then check back at all your midi.

Actually, I was just about to post a new thread to ask a question regarding notes/scales/key when I seen this.

I’m working on a track and according to Spectrum my subbass is an A.  My midbass however (coming from a different synth) is a C.  

C and A notes are both in the key of C so this should be an OK match?  Or when making a bass tone should both my notes be the same (of course with the midbass playing a few octaves up)?

Kieran, not always. It would be a good idea for you to read up on ‘harmonics’ / ‘natural harmonics’ actually.

If you press on your keyboard C and A together, they will naturally sound good together.

3rds and 5ths naturally sound good in a scale, likewise if you used an E or a G in the C scale.

Basically when you press a key, it normally has natural harmonics which are in another key, like in a piano when you press the key of C for example, the vibrations will cause selected other strings within the piano to naturally vibrate too giving you the harmonics of the C note you pressed.

This is why some keys work really well together when you play them together, for example C, E and G.

Anyways yeah look it up bro :wink:

Basically if what you’re doing sounds good, then it is good. They’re both keys in the same scale so you’re not doing anything that will sound odd.

Cheers Roben mate - its the first time I’ve trying building a bass using different notes, usually I just get one big fat bass, duplicate the track and mix one for the sub and one for the mids.

@ Roben

First of all, much tanks for the good explanation. I will do those things you say, but besides that i was wondering wheter or not i just could apply a C major scale (for example, could even be C minor etc…) from ableton onto the melody?? So it will automatically not play the notes that are out of key but replace them by the closest notes in key? In that perspective i can choose a scale that suits my melody best???

Tell me if i’m wrong…

greetz

[quote]Grigori (27/08/2010)[hr]@ Roben

First of all, much tanks for the good explanation. I will do those things you say, but besides that i was wondering wheter or not i just could apply a C major scale (for example, could even be C minor etc…) from ableton onto the melody?? So it will automatically not play the notes that are out of key but replace them by the closest notes in key? In that perspective i can choose a scale that suits my melody best???

Tell me if i’m wrong…

greetz[/quote]

You could do, try it out as a guide then make the manual changes if needs be, listen to how much your scaler changes it. As it may not sound right, in which case just change one of the keys.