Feedback on track please

Hi therebr
br
I have been working on this track for some time and would like some constructive feedback from the Sonic Academy team on it please.br
br
I do think the bass/kick parts still need some work as it does sound a tad muddy to me, so any tips on this will be helpful.br
br
If you spot anything else, please also let me know. I just meed to get out of my head!br
br
Many thanksbr
br
Link:br
br
https://soundcloud.com/braamalberts/persistence-braam-alberts/s-VF6l9

Was this the correct forum to ask for feedback at all?

yeah just takes us a while to get round them all… ill have a listen tomorrow when im in the studio

Ok cool, I’m a noob around here so just not sure what the normal protocol is! :smiley: Cheers for responding!

good track very atmospheric and the riff works well.br
br
Im not getting much bass coming through… i can hear the kick but id like to hear a tiny bit more bass… maybe layer a sub on the of beat.br
br
in the breakdown you have the sidechain pumping all the way through… i would ease back on it. maybe just reduce the volume of your ghost kick if thats what you are using to trigger it.br
br
at the end of teh break down the build up kick has too much bass… its taking over everything… stick a hipass filter on it and remove the low end. this will help the track to kick in better.br
br
towards the end of the break you might want to hipass a few more elements to… just to take the weight out of that section so you really feel it when it kicks back in.br
br
you bring the piano back in at the end. i think having the piano and main riff running together is too confusing… i would simplify the piano and just use maybe singe notes. this will give it more space but you could keep the melody.

Cheers Phill. Appreciate the feedback. Will look at those elements.br
br
I’ve always struggled with getting the bass cutting through more but will try the off bass tip to give it more weight.

are you using ANA?br
br
I added an OSC waveform called TriSub that is a sub with a prominent second harmonic which gives subs more mid range punch.br
br
try that for the off beat.

No I do not use ANAbr
br
I have access to Sylenth1, NI Massive and Zebra2br
br
I think that should cover it. I’ve tried to limit myself now to these synths to get to know them proparly.br
br
Cheers

if you have a Triangle with a sine and octave above it will give you a fuller sub that may cut through better.br
br
also roll off anything that is sounding muddy.

Sweet, tx Phil. If you don’t mind, can I give it back to you for another listen once I worked through these points?br
br
Cheers!

Yeah sure

Hi Philbr
br
Would you mind please having a listen to this track again? Asked you a few times via pm, so not sure why you haven’t responded.br
br
Thanksbr
br
https://soundcloud.com/braamalberts/persistence-braam-alberts/s-Pbo64

Sorry i have PM notifications turned off… best doing things n the forum.br
br
I tried to go to your link but it seems to be down.

Oh ok, thanks for letting me know Phil.br
br
Here’s the link again:br
br
https://soundcloud.com/braamalberts/persistence-braam-alberts/s-Pbo64

I still think you should have the kick hipassed in the build… in a club the kick roll where the bass is coming back in will just sound like a muddy rumble.br
br
I think maybe your pads and stabby riff are fighting for the same sonic space… i would pull the pads down a bit and push the riff up a bit. its getting a bit lost and its a main melodic part.br
br
It also maybe sounds a bit slushy like you are compressing the attacks hats and riff or maybe some tube drive or something… cant quite put my finger on it.br
br
I think id just like to hear it a bit clearer less squished up… more transients on things. mayeb use parallel processing if you are using tube drives or compressors just to get some of the original transients to come through.br
br
br
br
br
br

Ok sweet, tx Phil.br
br
I did high pass the kick but will do it a bit more. :-)br
br
I’ll check out the compression on the lead and hats, tx. It could be the sausage fattener that I am using on these tracks, so should probably turn the compression that I am using down slightly when using in conjunction with the fattener. br
br
Not sure either what to do, but will have a looksee.br
br
Cheers for listening again

yeah if you are using the sausage fattner defo use it in parallel as it really destroys the transients.