Focusrite Liquid Mix

Ive managed to once again scrap a few pennies together and i got a chance to buy one of these for €230. Im seriously considering it, this is one of the few pieces of kit that i have actually never heard a bad thing about. It seems alot of the pro’s have one of these things in their studio.

I do believe that Focusrite are ceasing production of this unit. Which is why the stock is priced to clear. I think that they are going to move over to Software instead of hardware…as Lexicon amongst other big name DSP names are doing so…

I’ve had one for about 15 months. It is worth having.

They have quite a fun website for it still tho:

http://www.focusrite.com/liquidmixchallenge/

How is it for mastering?

Hey man, I wouldn’t use anything but hardware for mastering. I have heard nothing but good things about it. However, I will forewarn you. If you have a firewire sound card, the Liquid Mix does not play well with firewire hubs. Just an FYI. Other than that, I have heard great things.

yEah thats important for me Howie because my sound card takes up my one firewire port so i would need a hub. Or cani install a seperate firewire card and run both??

[quote]jjdejong0 (26/11/2010)[hr]yEah thats important for me Howie because my sound card takes up my one firewire port so i would need a hub. Or cani install a seperate firewire card and run both??[/quote]

Well, I dont know what kind of computer you have. But if you have a PC or a Mac tower that you can add on gear to, then you should be fine adding another firewire slot. But a firewire hub is a no no with the Liquid Mix. You will have issues. It is a known issue on their forums.

I Can confirm what Howie says. I tried running my LM on a powered hub. It would crash without fail within a minute or so…

It is odd though. When I had it daisychained to my Saffire, it would work fine. I am guessing that the hubs aren’t smart when dividing the bandwidth. Ie each port gets a fixed and equal amount…which isn’t enough to keep the LM in business for very long.

[quote]EdwardRyan (30/11/2010)[hr]It is odd though. When I had it daisychained to my Saffire, it would work fine. [/quote]

Ah I was wondering about that!

However, I’ve read that it’s not compatible with the latest osx 10.6 - it only seems to go to 10.5?

[quote]djc4 (30/11/2010)[hr][quote]EdwardRyan (30/11/2010)[hr]It is odd though. When I had it daisychained to my Saffire, it would work fine. [/quote]

Ah I was wondering about that!

However, I’ve read that it’s not compatible with the latest osx 10.6 - it only seems to go to 10.5?[/quote]

The info regarding OSX versions is out of date. Focusrite did release an update so that it would work correctly with 10.6

Incidentally, it worked anyway. I just had to abort the Logic Au Manger scan and it was then listed as an unsupported plugin…but it still worked. But the update fixed all that. It scans and validates fineeeeee. It was only an issue for Au/Logic users. The VST version was fine in Live.