Focusrite saffire pro 24 issue

Hi all,

After a long time of weighing up the best audio interface to suit my needs I recently bought a brand new focusrite pro 24 dsp. The sound quality is great but for some reason I have to turn the input and headphone dials almost up to full to get any decent volume out of it…Something that I wasn’t expecting due to its renowned built in pre amps and headphone amplifier.

I am using sennheiser hd650 headphones and I have a korg microkorg plugged into the inputs. To record the korg at a decent level I am having to go full volume on the synth itself and almost full on the saffire pro.

Is my something faulty here or is that the case with all saffire pro’s?

[quote]electric eric (14/04/2011)[hr]…I recently bought a brand new focusrite pro 24 dsp…but for some reason I have to turn the input and headphone dials almost up to full to get any decent volume out of it…Something that I wasn’t expecting due to its renowned built in pre amps and headphone amplifier…I am using sennheiser hd650 headphones…

[/quote]

Hey it looks like it’s the headphones that are the issue here…Sennheiser HD 650s are high impedance (300 ohms) and the Saffire 24 actually doesn’t have a headphone amp (it’s a mix from the line levels coming out of channels 3&4). In another thread Howie said he used an Aphex headphone amp and really noticed an improvement in his mixes.

(specs)

[url]http://focusrite.com/products/saffire/saffire_pro_24_dsp/specifications/[/url]

[url]Sennheiser HD 650 Specs - CNET

Hey

I have a pro 24 and have never had any issues with headphone volume. If I were u I’d check your set up with the saffire mix control software, some of youre settings may be off. If you google how to set it up you’ll find youtube videos on how to set it up with different DAW’s. Just a thought, may be that this isnt your problem at all, but worth a look

Great, thanks for that. Looks like a headphone amp is my next purchase :wink:

yah its def not the saffire. I have one and have not had any problems.

Also make sure that you are plugging it into the headphone jack in the front and not the output in the back! You probably already did that, but ya never know sometimes!

[quote]Ben Lloyd (14/04/2011)[hr]Hey

I have a pro 24 and have never had any issues with headphone volume. If I were u I’d check your set up with the saffire mix control software, some of youre settings may be off. If you google how to set it up you’ll find youtube videos on how to set it up with different DAW’s. Just a thought, may be that this isnt your problem at all, but worth a look[/quote]

Yeah that was it…i didn’t have it set up correctly.

Problem solved!

Cheers