Frustrated and annoyed

This has probably been a topic before and I’m sure many of u have suffered from it, but it’s really p’d me off! My first trance track came out on Monday on Beatport on a two week exclusive and last night a mate told me it’s allready available to download for free on a few MP3 websites :grin: and this has really annoyed me, not that I was expecting to make loads of money if any it’s just principle, I’ve spent a small fortune on all my equipment and software have resisted many times pirated software preferring do do it the right way saving for what I want , have always supported the dance scene by buying my tracks from official website, yet something I work very hard on almost two years is out for free download even before its official release :flushed: if I wanted it out for free I would have just put it out on soundcloud! What chance does new producers have ? Anyways sorry for the rant guys as I know most of u will have fell victim to this, just pisses me off !!!

Yeah, all my tracks had their full version on youtube within a day, easily downloadable. I think musicians just need to accept that with the internet, you’re not going to make any money from selling tracks, unless you’re Rhianna, but equally without it, it’s unlikely anybody would be hearing your music in the first place. I’m just happy to get my stuff out there and hope people enjoy it.br
br
This is an interesting view on the subject. Worth a watchbr
br
[url]Face The Music 2014 - Keynote Address: Steve Albini - YouTube
br

yeah mate i suppose ur right! any exposure could be good! hopefully whoever listens enjoys it :slight_smile: just couldn’t believe that it would be available so quick!br
off to work so will watch that when i get home cheers :slight_smile:

Think I mentioned on a thread before, that I was chatting to Adam Ellis about his track Napalm poet, which was number 1 on the trance beatport for a few weeks, he said he sold about 1500 copies, and made 700 quid, so it’s possible to make some money if your track does really well, but it’s more about the exposure, as that track made him really.

All my releases have leaked onto the sites with illegal links as soon as they hit the online stores. I think there’s hardly anything you can do against this…

It is unfortunately the way it is these days and happened almost instantly when we switched to the digital format and how easy it is to share it. There’s pros and cons for every format we publish to, previously limited vinyl copies ensured a track was in demand however cost a fair amount up front to get them pressed. Now we have the luxury of paying virtually nothing up front to release a track and have it on the digital stores in as soon as 24 hours.br
br
That money you used to front for a release these days is tied into promotion and blocking the illegal links. Shouldn’t be the case but a necessity if you want your track to gain traction within the charts, giving them little option other than buy it.br
br
A couple of companies that do the blocking are…br
br
http://www.ripblock.co.ukbr
br
https://www.muso.com/anti-piracy/br
br
Maybe you don’t need it for every release but if you have a track you believe in and want it to do well it’s a good investment. Again… something we shouldn’t have to do but it definitely helps.br
br
However on the other hand if we don’t want to invest the money in our own track how can we expect others to buy it? No risk, no reward :wink: