Geek Subjet (Computer hardware)

Hey guys.br
br
I have some prob with my computer.br
br
On my new work, i have maybe 32 tracks, 20 midi, 5 audio and 5 group (something like that) and my computer is now unable to open my session :s. Totaly bug and cubase crashbr
br
My computer is like that :br
br

• Windows : w7 familliale preniumbr
  • Processor : intel core i7-3770 CPU@3,40 GHzbr
  • RAM : 4,00 gobr
  • Système : 64bitbr
    br
    What i need to make my music easier ?br
    br
    New one computer ? Or Up my RAM ?br
    br
    Maybe that i can have an Interface Like HD i/o who are native ? But they are a bit expensive.br
    br
    Help.

what makes you think that additional hardware will solve your problem? is there something in the error that makes you think that? the CPU you have is a good one, 4G of RAM is pretty good, you could up that to 8 but I don’t think that will solve this problem. br
br
-r

So what we can do to have a computer who dont lag ? i dont want freeze all my midi tracks…br
br
some peaple can work with 50 midi track + 10 effects on all tracks. All that with-out lag…br
br
So 1- i add RAMbr
2- I buy an ssd to windows cubasebr
br
What u think you ?

Yeah do both, I have an SSD disk and 16gb ram and i can work pretty decent now. but they are both crucial for working on a lot of tracks

[quote]lonewolf (17/10/2013)[hr]Yeah do both, I have an SSD disk and 16gb ram and i can work pretty decent now. but they are both crucial for working on a lot of tracks[/quote]br
br
Super. In your ssd you make all your vst too ? do you think that the minimum to buy is 240GB ? 120 is a bit low ?

i dont know when you have a stationary comp. I just have a laptop so i can only have 1 HDD in it so i went for the 500 GB , but in your case i would prob go for something cheaper.

SSD RAM wont help much if you are still running off the standard motherboard soundcard.br
br
ideally something with asio drivers. If its a tower you could get something like M-Audio 2496br
br
good basic card with decent latency

[quote]phil johnston (17/10/2013)[hr]SSD RAM wont help much if you are still running off the standard motherboard soundcard.br
br
ideally something with asio drivers. If its a tower you could get something like M-Audio 2496br
br
good basic card with decent latency[/quote]br
br
Hey Phil ; Love ur vidéo.br
br
I ever have a sound card (fast track c400) but i think change for MR from steinberg : http://www.steinberg.net/fr/shop/buy_product/product/mr816-x.htmlbr
br
I havent some latency when i use my keybord, but more, when i open a big project… and more when, i’m sure you see, some new tracks coming for the first time. But it creat some Crash ! So, i open one more time my soft, new tracks coming, and crash again…br
br
I have read on a french forum (Fanzine) that when your sequenceurVST are installed in C: you have lot of problems. Anyway i havent extern disk or 2 HDD. Its a a basic computer.br
br
So i shear what to do to havent all this lag.br
br
All of you arent ok. So i will test all that solutions… and come back to give news.br
br
Hum… I think that all stuff increase performance sure. But The RAM Is maybe The bigger stuff cause this probs coming when i have lot of tracks, so look like a RAM problem ?br
br
It also can come from the HDD… SSD just better to Big Soft Pro stuff !br
br
br
Edit : You speak about Soundcard include in Motherboard… Sure if you use that you cant do anything :). No no, i have a fast track as i have say. I dont use my standard motherboard soundcard.

Yeah that soundcard looks good.br
br
I think 4gb ram is too small the first thing i would change. at least 16gbbr
br
Crashes could also come from plugins that are not the latest version.br
br
Latency is unavoidable as when you add more plugins you get plugin delay compensation so buy the end of the session it can be very long.br
br
better to do all keyboard playing at the start.

[quote]phil johnston (17/10/2013)[hr]Yeah that soundcard looks good.br
br
I think 4gb ram is too small the first thing i would change. at least 16gbbr
br
Crashes could also come from plugins that are not the latest version.br
br
Latency is unavoidable as when you add more plugins you get plugin delay compensation so buy the end of the session it can be very long.br
br
better to do all keyboard playing at the start.[/quote]br
br
Will a ram upgrade help a daw if its in 32 bit?br
br
Like phil said, most of my own crashes come from a single plugin bugging out :ermm: I’d probably look into that

James you are in 32 bit ?

Yeah I run Ableton 9 in 32 bit…just seemed like sort of a hassle that I didn’t have to deal with yet!

yeah, it will help some. Your app will still only be addressed in 4Gig space, but the rest of the computer can make use of the RAM making it overall faster.br
br
-r