Ghost Tracks

Do we all use them? I never did but have been for the last couple of months or so and I’m having big issues with it… ie my track always end up sounding like my ghost track… very annoying! Anyone else have this issue or is it just me?

No - can’t really say much more than that Wayne :slight_smile:

[quote]slender (19/01/2011)[hr]No - can’t really say much more than that Wayne :)[/quote]

+1

So its just me then! :frowning:

Not really, I think it’s common practice actually, but mostly just to copy their arrangement.

I think I need to find an alternative because I end up with a remix of whatever I’m listening too and I end up starting something new, and the same thing happens… I havent complete a full tune for a few months now, its really getting on my nerves. I feel like there is something missing, cant put my fingure on it and at the moment I spend all day everyday at it… arghh… I’m not giving up however!

[quote]gofunk (19/01/2011)[hr]I think I need to find an alternative because I end up with a remix of whatever I’m listening too and I end up starting something new, and the same thing happens… I havent complete a full tune for months![/quote]

Im getting allot of this lately, we should set up some kind of exchange system here,

Like if I get so far with a track but it’s missing somethin,or I’m lackin inspiration on it, stick it up on soundcloud, people have a listen to it and if someone thinks they can take the track somewhere I’d offer the project over to them. Like I mean I’d rather someone more creative take something iv done and put it to good use rather than dump it into the bottomless pit that is the “unfinished track folder”

If the track was to be finished just put it down as a collaboration.

Why don’t you try leaving the ghost track out until just the arrangement point?

Get all your riffs and, beats, fills and sounds etc done in session view or what have you, then hop over to arrange, and bring in the reference track.

Better still make an ‘empty’ track that just has empty midi clips in the right places with descriptive names

thats a good idea james, think I’ll try the empty midi track today

Or you could try ghosting a gabber track, it’s so awful you’d never end up copying it.

[quote]Roben (20/01/2011)[hr]Or you could try ghosting a gabber track, it’s so awful you’d never end up copying it.[/quote]

So thats where you get your inspiration from Rob :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]slender (20/01/2011)[hr][quote]Roben (20/01/2011)[hr]Or you could try ghosting a gabber track, it’s so awful you’d never end up copying it.[/quote]

So thats where you get your inspiration from Rob :P[/quote]

Close… Did you never wonder why I follow you on Soundcloud?

Gabber over Main Room house any day of the week :slight_smile:

i never use ghost tracks. I did like once when I first started. i dunno, i dont have a problem arranging. just go with the beat & the melody. let the clips flow through you.

like the force. :wink:

[quote]bangthedj (20/01/2011)[hr]Gabber over Main Room house any day of the week :)[/quote]

Best post of the year so far :smiley:

[quote]dubVision (20/01/2011)[hr]i never use ghost tracks. I did like once when I first started. i dunno, i dont have a problem arranging. just go with the beat & the melody. let the clips flow through you.

like the force. ;)[/quote]

Yeah IO hardly ues a ghost track now unless I hear something I really like and try to emulate the builds and tension

There was a tutorial about this on here. It was for Cubase, but I’m sure it’s translatable to Ableton.

http://www.sonicacademy.com/Video%20Player/?course=2077&currentvideo=2052

It was under the create Electro House tutorial awhile back.