Go to Drum Sample Library

so i want to get a new drum sample library that i can use to program my beats,br
can anyone give me a good recommendation ?br
br
i was told dont ever buy drum samples from the genre you choose to create,br
so obviously it would have to be similar but not the same,br
br
so if i want main room house, you wouldnt get acoustic rock drums but possibly techno,br
br
i am looking for solid kicks, claps and subtle smooth hats for main room housebr
or along these lines, br
http://soundcloud.com/lost-my-dog/moet-benson-and-velvet-tux

A really good sample pack would be the Ultimate Drums pack that our own Sonic Academy do. br
br
You can buy the whole series for about £30 or just a single genre for under a tenner!br
br
They’ve got Trance, Main Room House, Dubstep and Progressive so plenty of samples to choose from (and no, im not on commission :wink: )

For one shots br
I can second the ultimate drums pack, picked it up earlier today and have been adding them to my 128s. br
Im filtering out a lot of vengeance samples that ive had for years and replacing with these and Thomas Pentons stuff. br
br
For loops I really like Sample Magic but still rely on some of those old school Vengeance essential House babies,but I make an older style sound.br
br
Seriously the ultimate drums is a good pick up I know it seems a little weird being on their site and all but I can honestly say its a great pack and what I was looking for.

it is a little weird being recommended a sample pack from this site, br
but i am willing to give them a go, have they already been processed br
br
and are they 24bit wav ?br
br
in the past ive bought loads of sample cds from ebay etc, and some are put together really poorly, just filtered loops from records, which anyone could do.br
Not sure why you would pay for that,

they are 24bit 44Khz br
br
Check out the 4 walk throughs theres tons of info and more importantly they fire off many of the samples so you can hear them.br
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL5sDGleJ0Qbr
br
btw I don’t work for sonic academy if anything I had to pay them to become a subscriber. This is just a good pack for what I want to do, if it was crappolla id just not mention it.br
br
Heres what ive gathered the Internet thinks of packsbr
Wave alchemy is great because you can process and add a lot yourselfbr
Gold baby is about as good as you are going to get next to having an actual tr909 808 or 707br
Vengeance is old but still great however they are processed and ripped from records the net seems split 50/50br
Sample Magic is pretty good well organised br
Thomas Penton is very good but already processedbr
Ultimate Drums- I actually don’t know what anyone thinks I just went off the walkthroughbr
I can’t remember why I started doing this, im sure there was a point but im just going to stop herebr
br
cheersbr
your local faceless forum poster

many thanks indeed, i have vengence and they are a little dated now,br
waves are synthetic drums which sound great but suit a certain type of electronic music,br
br
i did wonder about getting some funk sample cds as the hi hats are very good here, i know they will be real hats, but they seem less harsh/ processed,br
br
here is a drum loop i created last nightbr
br

br
i have them in sections, cld hats, open hats, kick, snare,br
br
maybe its missing some percussion to give it a hooky feel,br
the kick is just not heavy enough, need it to punch and have weight,br
also i never like the hats, always sound too harsh, not enough swish,br
br
i try to a/b my drums to released tracks and they just dont come close with the punch and crisp feel,br
this is the track i was using to reference -br
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0qJbhRcWdsbr
br
if you have good monitors/ headphones listen to the kick, so heavy !

Hey Leebr
br
I listened to both samples - yours and the YT link. br
br
Your kick sounds a little muffled to me. It may just be the sample you’re using. The hats do sound harsh. The Migs track, he’s using both shakers and also hats with less bite/sharpness than yours.br
br
Also, your clap/snare sounds too low end heavy perhaps, certainly quite rough sounding against the kick. Do you roll off freq below 200Hz on your claps? Personally, I’d use a different sample.br
br
For claps, also I try to spread the sound to give it more stereo width and generally send it to a decent reverb to help it sit better.br
br
And, yes, you do need some mid-range percussion to fill the groove out.

thanks for those tips, i do tend to cut the hi end from kicks, the low end from all hats / claps,br
br
not sure how to get a more smooth hi hat, without just changing the sample,br
i try to trim the hats decay back maybe remove some attack may help ?br
i will change the kick try to get a strong punch to it and get a good balance with the clap, how would you spread the clap sound ? br
br
i do want to add reverb to hats and claps but i never know how to get just a touch of the fx to give it some space, i have ableton 9 and logic but find it a task getting a good setting, would using sends be the better way to go rather than directly dropping a reverb on the hats/ clap channel like you would a compressor,br
br
or set up a bus channel in logic and use send to bring in the effectbr
br
the drum library sonic academy does sound pretty good, i just dont want to buy another sample collection and sit cycling through all the hats only to find they are all too harsh and abrupt

can anyone tell me if the drum hits in the sonic academy sample are processed ?br
are they already compressed etc ?

Theres a lot of great samples and hits here

thanks for the link ! much appreciated !!br
br
br
can the sonic academy guys tell me if the loops in Ultimate drums were created with the single hits from Ultimate drums?br
As there are some really nice loops in the prog video, some nice shuffle / hat loops but they all have other elements in there that i would prefer to remove (claps,Perc) or recreate if the same hits used were from UD ?br
br
as some of the hats in these loops are sounding pretty nice and the kind of feel i am looking forbr

anyone ?

Hi Lee, br
Not all the loops contain single hits from the packs, but there are a few that do. They have all been recorded and mastered at 24 bit also. Over the four packs there are hundreds if not thousands of single hits, loops, and kits for both Logic and Ableton and even good old REX files.br
br
Hope this helps.br
br
Cbr

;);)nice information.like this artical! Thanks a lot!br
br
Buy Canada Goose Women/Ladies Chilliwack Parka Outlet Onlinebr

nice information.like this artical! Thanks a lot!

i use maschine library and packs, alot of sample magic stuff, and i also use the sa drum packs , oh and bazzism too.

I have to say I spent a while listening to the maschine demosbr
And the quality is amazing I have battery 4 and wish the dance packsbr
Were available for battery but they are not, real shame but I can’t justify buying maschinebr
Wish I could get the packs to run

I have a drum pack way better and way way way cheaper than what anyone else can over.br
br
£3.99 for 343 samples :slight_smile: Yeah well worth its :slight_smile:

Ill check them out br
Thanks

Ill check them out br
Thanks