Good monitor headphones?

Hi there,

I’m looking for a good pair of headphones to produce with. I don’t have the luxury of being able to play my music loud with neighbours all around, but find my Senheiser HD25s aren’t really giving me the best mixes. Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks!

John

Take a look at these posts:

http://forums.sonicacademy.com/Search1-2-1.aspx?SessionID=fm4yr0552dopkoqlpirm0han&SortBy=1&SortOrder=1

[quote]TheAnt (11/04/2011)[hr]Take a look at these posts:

http://forums.sonicacademy.com/Search1-2-1.aspx?SessionID=fm4yr0552dopkoqlpirm0han&SortBy=1&SortOrder=1[/quote]

hehe :laugh:

Basically what Ant is saying and the rest of us were thinking is… try the search option :wink:

Agree with the HD25s by the way, they don’t have a good flat response, the mids/highs seem dampened and the lows seem too bassy.

Just what i’ve noticed anyways, would be great to see an actual frequency response chart on the HD25s.

I would recommend AKG K240 MKII - Very neutral sounding, and very comfortable to wear.

Hd650 pure winning!

Phil,

Stop doing this i had my mind made up to buy the KRK 8400 now i’m not sure arghhhh!!!

The HD 650s just really work for me.

like when i have them on and am mixing on them when i put the stuff through my Mackies it sounds exactly right. I dont have to compensate for anything.

They have made working at night a joy rather than the chore it used to be with my HD280 pros.

Hey mate, I’d recommend checking out this site.

http://www.headphoneinfo.com/content/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-PRO-Headphones-Review-715/Performance.htm

They review headphones in some pretty over the top detail and do all kinds of test’s on them and compare with others in a similar price range.

That review is the pair I ended up with, very happy with them.

I agree that headphones.com is a great resource…I made some posts earlier under the KRK 8400 threads. They also have a few top ten lists for various kinds of headphones:

[url]http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/top-picks.php[/url]

I finally got the Grado SR601 and they’re great for monitoring levels on a laptop–they have a very similar response curve to the Sennheiser HD650s and AKG 240 MKII mentioned below (not bass heavy like KRK 8400) and are less than half the price of the others.

[url]http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/about-headphone-measurements.php[/url]

i’ll stick to my beyerdynamic dt 770 pro for life. I’m in love with them for over a year now :x

Thanks guys, that helps out a lot!!!

Take all the info given to you prior to your local hifi shop and test some of the cans.

I tested, after reading some articles on the web, the KRK8400 and AKG K240MKII.

After some ab-ing and hearing the same track on the KRK Rokit’s I really noticed the bass heaviness from the 8400’s. The AKG were much clearer and neutral sounding.

Besides that, they actually fit better then those 8400’s.

Just try and convince yourself :smiley:

[quote]bogdi47 (11/04/2011)[hr]i’ll stick to my beyerdynamic dt 770 pro for life. I’m in love with them for over a year now :x[/quote]

Beyerdynamic do make some great cans…do you know which 770s you got?

(They actually came out with three different impedance levels…the first being 250 Ohm)

I compared them to Phil’s cans (which are also very good).

Akg 240 mk2 for me as well. Very light and comfortable, relatively inexpensive and very clear.

I have the DT770 as well. They are quite pricey but are extremely clear and even sounding. Solidly built as well. Worth every penny.

One thing I will add though, which is pretty significant. When I bought them, I bought the 250 ohm pair. Not realizing, but when you get higher ohms, it takes more power to drive the speakers in the headphone cans. Because of this, I bought an Aphex headphone preamp and it has done wonders at making it louder. Not only that, but because of the pre, I can turn my individual track volume down on each channel and crank the preamp and its STILL loud has hell. This way I’ve been creating about 10-15db of headroom and i get no distortion whatsoever. Done wonders for my headphone mixing.

Just picked up the DT770 pros and they are quite nice. However, they are a little bit on the boomy side. They have a little bit more low end then alot of headphones. The main reason I like them is because if the bass starts to get to muddy or boomy, I know to cut it back a bit.

With that said, I think it’s good do have 2 sets of headphones. I know this is a luxury, but it really helps.

For my next set, I’m looking at the HD650’s as Phil recommended. I’ll have to save for awhile though.

i would get the hd650s, they are great to listen to albums on normally, plus anything with a 200 hour break in period gets a thumbs up from me

I gotta say, even though the KRK may not have a flat response like the other they are excellent.

they sound just like my monitors which mean I can make sounds, EQ’s and mix etc and dont have to worrie about needing to change much when I switch to my monitors.

They are top notch for me and I recomend you try them.

Also I recently got Focusrite VRM box. You need to be looking into this peeps, it top notch stuff.

The best headphones I can vouche for:

(Panasonic)Technics DJ1200 - very sturdy last very long.

Sony MDR series 7506,7509

Check amazon or other dj store for them.

[quote]phil johnston (11/04/2011)[hr]The HD 650s just really work for me.

like when i have them on and am mixing on them when i put the stuff through my Mackies it sounds exactly right. I dont have to compensate for anything.

They have made working at night a joy rather than the chore it used to be with my HD280 pros.[/quote]

phil can i ask why you feel it was a chore using the HD280 pros?

sorry for bringing back a thread from the dead.

(that rhymes)