Great Deep House Course

Just wanted to say fair play on the deep house course. It’s fantastic and has enough different techniques to inspire many different types of tracks. I was really hoping something would show me how to get the Inspector Norse style bassline and this does that along with some great use of effects on the stabs. I think that chain will come in handy for preveiwing presets as I often struggle to picture what something will sound like after it has been ran through delays etc.

That little bit about using vinyl grooves is fantastic as well. I was messing around with that last night and it’s amazing the grooves you can get going using it, all of a sudden idea for tracks with coming just because a groove pattern had been established.

With this and the detroit strings which Phil kindly showed me on the live session I am feeling alot better about making tracks and feeling a lot more inspired. I can’t wait for the video of the live sesison to go up as I can’t actually remember how Phil did the detriot strings as he did it pretty quickly it ANA, but once it comes up I’ll be away!

I also thought Graham was great at hosting the tutioral, seven hours isn’t to be sniffed at by any one, I hope he does another tutorial in the future.

Thanks mate, glad you liked it and look forward to hearing your new tunes!

On the other side of the fence, here. I haven’t watched the tutorial because I felt the finished track just didn’t sound “right.” Hard to put my finger on it.

Maybe it’s in the mastering, maybe other aspects too. Just didn’t have that undefinable warmth and texture that makes the stuff I really love from Maceo Plex, Maya Jane Coles, etc. so nice.

I’m sure the technical aspects of it are really well explained as always with SA, but the finished work I just couldn’t get behind so I didn’t really wanna do the tutorials. :confused:

I’ve only seen the first vid, but it’s difficult to hear the voice. It sounds like you move away from the mic when hitting the keyboard, so your voice often disappears then comes back again, which coupled with being quiet to begin with makes it difficult to hear, for me at least. I don’t want to turn it up any louder in the headphones because the other audio from Ableton is quite loud and I already have tinnitus as it is.

if you’re not currently a subscriber is there a way to listen to the finished song? maybe on youtube or soundcloud or something? it might help subscriptions if you can hear the finished song and decide if subscribing is worth the expense…

[quote]thegeek (24/04/2012)[hr]On the other side of the fence, here. I haven’t watched the tutorial because I felt the finished track just didn’t sound “right.” Hard to put my finger on it.

Maybe it’s in the mastering, maybe other aspects too. Just didn’t have that undefinable warmth and texture that makes the stuff I really love from Maceo Plex, Maya Jane Coles, etc. so nice.

I’m sure the technical aspects of it are really well explained as always with SA, but the finished work I just couldn’t get behind so I didn’t really wanna do the tutorials. :confused:

[/quote]

It’s still worth a watch even if you weren’t wild for the finished track as the techniques used were great and could be applied to any kind of deep house track.

i really like the finished track,

It reminds me more of a Jamie Jones remix of something, cant put my finger on it,

Anyway

Loved the tut Graham’s attention to detail made this one of the best tuts iv seen.

Tbh even though the description says Todd Terje and Maceo Plex, there were so many links up in the original thread that bits and pieces came from a number of producers, Jamie Jones, Danny Daze, MJC and lots of others.

I loved it anyway who ever it was based on,

Can we expect any more tutorials from ya soon Graham??

I’ve watched them all through and am just starting to got through them and actually do what is in them.

Unless I swicthed off for a bit, am I right in thinking you didn’t add reverb to your drums, is this something  you always do? Phil always seems to add quite a bit of reverb to his, is it a personal thing or something quite common in deep house?

Also given a choice, would you always use the Ableton effects or do you have go-to plugins that you would use in your own productions?

Yeah i got the feelin he may have processed allot of his drums before starting the project.

I actually hadn’t processed them at all, I just picked the ones that I felt would work the best without much processing. Always easier to spend time doing that at the start than trying to process something into submission that wasn’t right to begin with.

Interesting. I think I’ll have to have a good listen to samples in future… I kind of just add reverb to all my drums without thinking too much about if they need it in the first place. Obvious really…

Thanks Graham, the techniques are very useful as well as the approach logic to make the track.

To me the way he created the track and the sounds is what is worth. Techniques used, the programming of the synth etc… The quality of everything put all together would need more time in my opinion. Don’t like much the “all time snare over the kick” parts though.

The “mixing” part I just overlook it since at least to me it need much more attention and can not really be explained in 10 mins.

cheers

If possible can you help me with these keys Graham? They come in at about 4:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jk3Be_qN3k

I know they must be easy/obvious as they are in hundreds of deep house tracks from the 90’s but I can’t get them. When I load up the keys in Sylenth they all sound too harsh and electro? Is there a particular type of synth that would make these sounds or is it more to do with fx. Phil showed us how to do the strings on the live session so I should be able to do a re-make soon…!!