Hackintosh

A friend of mine pointed me toward this site where they’re selling self build Macs, spec’d in line with the new Mac pro’s but for 1/4 of the price. Wondering if anybody has ever tried one of these out?br
br

br
I’ve got a fully spec’d macbook w 16gb of RAM but i still get problems with freezing and the like, so was considering this as an option.

I have set up a hackintosh as a VM and it worked well. br
br
I think there are a couple of things to be aware of with the site you posted. First is that Apple do not license any of their OS software to anyone else, so at best these computers would be in breach of the software license agreement (and I suspect the OS will be pirated).br
br
Second is that the software that comes pre-installed is certainly pirated.br
br
The only contact details on the website is an email address, there is no postal address or any details of who you are actually buying from (the only Esseff listed in companies house is a disolved company).br
br
They are clearly very dodgy.br
br
My view is that if you want a hackintosh you should just build it yourself (if you aren’t comfortable building it then a hackintosh probably isn’t for you).br
br
If you want a stable and secure system for music production and you liek the Apple system, you should buy an Apple.

[quote]JimmyHep (02/12/2014)[hr]A friend of mine pointed me toward this site where they’re selling self build Macs, spec’d in line with the new Mac pro’s but for 1/4 of the price. Wondering if anybody has ever tried one of these out?br
br

br
I’ve got a fully spec’d macbook w 16gb of RAM but i still get problems with freezing and the like, so was considering this as an option.[/quote]br
br
[url=http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-november-2014.html#CustoMac_Pro]http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-november-2014.html#CustoMac_Pro[/url]br
br
a good place to start - and what i am currently running myself.br
br
i’d recommend building it - so that when it goes wrong (and it will go wrong) you at least know how to fix it.

Cheers Both,br
br
Yeah I’ll give that site a wide berth and try it myself!br
br

[quote]bryan spence (02/12/2014)[hr][quote]JimmyHep (02/12/2014)[hr]A friend of mine pointed me toward this site where they’re selling self build Macs, spec’d in line with the new Mac pro’s but for 1/4 of the price. Wondering if anybody has ever tried one of these out?br
br

br
I’ve got a fully spec’d macbook w 16gb of RAM but i still get problems with freezing and the like, so was considering this as an option.[/quote]br
br
[url=http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-november-2014.html#CustoMac_Pro]http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-november-2014.html#CustoMac_Pro[/url]br
br
a good place to start - and what i am currently running myself.br
br
i’d recommend building it - so that when it goes wrong (and it will go wrong) you at least know how to fix it.[/quote]br
br
How much did it cost you to build the system you’re running Bryan?

I Built one too.br
br
My Buildbr
br
I had to try one with thunderbolt for my UA Apollo. was a bit of messing around to get it running but the basic build only took an hour.br
br
Its so important to get the right parts. look for popular golden builds (builds that work pretty much out of the box)br
br
Upgrading OS version can be a pain… its not just click and upgrade you normally have to go in and backup and tweak a few things but it gets you in to the habit of regular backups.br
br
Ive had no trouble with it at all. apart from the thunderbolt icon crashing. but it doesn’t effect anything. I use it at least 8 hours a day monday to friday.br
br
My Build is the equivalent of a mid level Mac pro for about £1400 although i have a top end graphics card for the 3d stuff so you could save a few ££ off that.br
br
Best bit for me is having an easily upgradeable system. not having to sell and rebuy a mac every time.br
br

Looks good Phil and you have no freezing problems with that spec?

nope no freezing at all.br
br

i run hackintosh as my main production OS, I had maverics for some time and it was running very well no stability issues at all. i recently upgrade my rig and update to Yosemite (not recommended) part from that Yosemite its still not stable OS and some small VST problem, the OS byself runs well, i would love to try out thunderbolt in future.