Hard drive read speeds

SSD FTW, got a small one in the mac, hence the need for something just to whack me tunes on:)

both 5400RPM, is there going to be much difference?

What about:

WDBAAJ0015HSL-EESN

It is a 3.5" and uses a power cable.

i have one with a power cable at the min, a lacie one, just looking for a more portable one for gigs

[quote]howiegroove (28/03/2011)[hr][quote]TheAnt (28/03/2011)[hr][quote]Bouffont (28/03/2011)[hr]IMO - You want 7200 min, 10 or 15k’s aren’t that much more expensive these days. Forget firewire, it’s a dated connection type that will die out soon enough (cue people saying “It’ll never die, I love it, I love my Mac etc”. I’d get an eSATA drive. They’re faster.[/quote]

Which external Hard drives are 10k and 15k?[/quote]

I was wondering too. Maybe internal not external?[/quote]

Couldn’t give you a specific one really, could be there is none. I was actually thinking more of buying an enclosure and sticking a 10k+ in there. Enclosures are pretty cheap on ebay.

As far as firewire always being around - I don’t think it will. People used to say that about external SCSI - “Oh but what about all the old external SCSI devices, people wont want to replace them”. External SCSI now is a pretty rare thing to find to be honest.

There’ll always be demand for the Firewire interface as there’ll always be old hardware to use it, but when there’s eSATA that runs at 3X (theoretical) the speed, what’s the point of using it for an external hard disk?

PS - Agreed - Western Digital for the win! I have 4 X 1TB WD’s in my desktop running in RAID 10 - so far it’s been bulletproof.

I also own an external Iomega hard drive which I’m more than happy with.