Hard drive read speeds

looking to get a new hard drive and im just checking out speeds, looking for a firewire 800 one, this stating a speed of 800 mega bits/sec. but is this the speed you actually get, or is it also to do with the RPM of the drive too?

cheers

[quote]kaya_marks (27/03/2011)[hr]looking to get a new hard drive and im just checking out speeds, looking for a firewire 800 one, this stating a speed of 800 mega bits/sec. but is this the speed you actually get, or is it also to do with the RPM of the drive too?

cheers[/quote]

Hey man, nope. They RPM is the speed. I would try to stick around 7200RPM. The 800 firewire is the transfer rate. Just make sure that your computer can handle this speed. USB 1 has a transfer rate of 1.5mbs where USB 2.0 has a raw data rate at 480Mbps. Firewire 800 has a peak transfer rate of about 780Mb/s. The RPM of the drive is how fast it reads and writes data.

Now that I’m thinking about it, I dont think you can get different external hard drive speeds.

I wouldnt go any lower then 7200rpm for multimedia production. Any slower then this and im sure you’ll be glitching and lagging anything from this drive.

I am not 100% sure but I think your drives etc are as fast as your slowest piece of hardware - if that makes sense

IMO - You want 7200 min, 10 or 15k’s aren’t that much more expensive these days. Forget firewire, it’s a dated connection type that will die out soon enough (cue people saying “It’ll never die, I love it, I love my Mac etc”. I’d get an eSATA drive. They’re faster.

my system has esata and usb 3.00 - if ur system is new u might too. u want a fast hdd speed and a fast transfer rate to get the most

[quote]Bouffont (28/03/2011)[hr]IMO - You want 7200 min, 10 or 15k’s aren’t that much more expensive these days. Forget firewire, it’s a dated connection type that will die out soon enough (cue people saying “It’ll never die, I love it, I love my Mac etc”. I’d get an eSATA drive. They’re faster.[/quote]

Which external Hard drives are 10k and 15k?

[quote]TheAnt (28/03/2011)[hr][quote]Bouffont (28/03/2011)[hr]IMO - You want 7200 min, 10 or 15k’s aren’t that much more expensive these days. Forget firewire, it’s a dated connection type that will die out soon enough (cue people saying “It’ll never die, I love it, I love my Mac etc”. I’d get an eSATA drive. They’re faster.[/quote]

Which external Hard drives are 10k and 15k?[/quote]

I was wondering too. Maybe internal not external?

thought it would be more to do with the rpm speed, with this said do you think firewire is pretty obsolete, the only reason why im thinking firewire is because i am on mac, and everyone will know how rare a spare USB port is lol

also im just gonna be using it to keep my tunes on and ‘stream’ it with use on traktor, is this a bad move with a slower drive?

Firewire will die, but if you have a port on you Mac, which you do, and you can buy a drive, which you can, then it isn’t dead to you and it is probably the best option for you.

If you are really worried about obsolescence then buy one with both firewire and usb ports.

As for Trakotr, it should be ok to play your tracks off a good external hdd but without trying you can’t be sure. I have played MP3s from a usb hard drive without problems.

Obviously MP3s will be less likely to cause problems than WAVs, but playing WAVS will make you feel superior inside.

You know, I dont think that firewire will be obsolete any time soon. USB has been around forever and so has firewire. Now, I think that firewire will be dead in the PC, but not in the Mac. They will only do this once they put the last production model of mac on the “obsolete” list, which will be a LOOOONNNGGG while. Your hard drive will probably die before that happens IMO. I would go with Firewire.

sorry obsolete was probably the wrong word, what i meant was that it doesnt really matter if i have firewire or USB as the speed is really dictated by the RPM, will probs go with firewire, anyone recommend one?

many thanks!

I agree with you Howie. Steve Jobs did make some comments about it being dead, and Apple don’t put it on some of their machines but there are  industries that will keep the demand up for a long time.

For example I have a couple of clients that are TV production companies and they use stacks of firewire HDD in the editing suite. Each new series will use 4 or 5 new drives.

A Firewire 800 with 7200rpm, I think is a good call here.

[quote]kaya_marks (28/03/2011)[hr]sorry obsolete was probably the wrong word, what i meant was that it doesnt really matter if i have firewire or USB as the speed is really dictated by the RPM, will probs go with firewire, anyone recommend one?

many thanks![/quote]

I like Western Digital:

Mybook are 3.5" and come with Power supply, the Passport are 2.5" and power from the firewire or usb port.

had a look at a few, western digital and iomega, cant seem to see the RPM speeds?

solid state hard drives are the fastest because there is no RPM. they don’t spin.

I run win 7 & ableton from my solid state drive and it is super fast.

Only problem is that they are limited in size, and the big ones cost $$$$$

Western Digital all the way

[quote]kaya_marks (28/03/2011)[hr]had a look at a few, western digital and iomega, cant seem to see the RPM speeds?[/quote]

Have a look on Amazon, they should quote all the specs.

western digital 4 life.