Hardware Compressors

Hey guys,

I’ve just recently gotten a lot more into the mixing and mastering part of my material. I’m just wondering though, would a hardware compressor be a worthy investment to get a little more out of my tracks? And if so, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

For professional mastering yes (and they would probably already have many) but for an amateur producer I would say definately not.

If your serious about your music you would get your tracks professionally mastered anyway.

I was also considering this and started looking into building my own compressor clone. However I think I will stick with software for now… These days I’m working 12 hours a day, so I have no time for anything :slight_smile: Build your own SSL4000 or Urei 1176 clone:

4000-GSSL/

Urei 1176

Ive had a few nice compressors over the years… Onlyvthing i ever used them for where recording vocals or live instruments.

Software comps are so good now there really is no benifit In hardware if you are mostly in the box.

I agree, if you want to start mastering yourself then it could be worth it to get a nice analogue compressor. But if your an amateur producer then theres far too many good compressor plugins and imitations of classic hardware.

Thanks guys! Ill just work on improving my mixing for now until I fully understand the mastering process. Gotta start reading Bob Katz’ book on mastering. Can’t wait to start diving in!

Hi

To add to this thread. The money you have saved on not buying the compressor could be spent on really good quality monitors and some sound absorbing tiles and bass traps. You’ll be able to create even better mixes to send to the mastering house if you can hear what is really going on across the full frequency spectrum

The only one bit of external valve gear I would really want to get my hands on is a Culture Vulture. Check out the Dave Ramirez video review

http://www.youtube.com/user/DRamirezMusic#p/u/24/flErxUg6ig4

Sending all of your soft (or hardware) synths through this thing will give you warmth and valvey goodness that is hard to match with software

You don’t need it, but you might well want it after seeing the video :slight_smile:

[quote]Nick G (31/10/2011)[hr]Hi

To add to this thread. The money you have saved on not buying the compressor could be spent on really good quality monitors and some sound absorbing tiles and bass traps. You’ll be able to create even better mixes to send to the mastering house if you can hear what is really going on across the full frequency spectrum

The only one bit of external valve gear I would really want to get my hands on is a Culture Vulture. Check out the Dave Ramirez video review

http://www.youtube.com/user/DRamirezMusic#p/u/24/flErxUg6ig4

Sending all of your soft (or hardware) synths through this thing will give you warmth and valvey goodness that is hard to match with software

You don’t need it, but you might well want it after seeing the video :)[/quote]

Yeah, the mixing engineer that I have starting going to uses its plugin version (Sound Toys Dicapitator) on everything. It is very nice. I’ve been learning some of the Sound Toys plugins and I have to say they are really great.

If you want to add a touch of warmth to your mixes then you really can’t beat

http://www.slatedigital.com/rc-tube.php