Has DJing become a fad?

When i started DJing it seemed as if everyone was playing in a band with this whole ****ty indie movement that was happening. It actually felt nice to do something different and start up DJing.

DJing has been good to me, ive had some great nights and made some nice money however it has come to my attention that everyone is just like looking at David Guetta and thinking wow thats gonna be me. The next step for them is to get a copy of Ableton or Traktor and just start thinking they are superstar DJ’s, playing in their living rooms on their premium Macbook Pro’s.

I mean ive seen silly girls in bikinis standing in their Houses with a cheap DJ setup thinking they are awesome. I think when something becomes commercial and becomes like a fad, it kinda ruins it for the serious people. I mean if you mix in ableton and think your a class A DJ, you are deluded and its annoying to see the dumb masses who dont even care about the music, or what DJing is doing something cos its the hip thing to do.

I just hope this little fad passes by quickly as to be honest its a bit embarassing when someone who has been DJing 1.5 weeks start thinking they are gonna be the next big thing. These people are so deluded that they dont even properly know what production is. I hope they all fall on their asses really hard and realise they need to stick to their day jobs.

Jan perhaps you need to stop taking things so seriously.

Just do your thing, let other people do theirs. Everyone’s entitled to live the life they want to. Play the music they want to. Do the things they want to. So long as they don’t harm others. And, other people having fun ‘dj-ing’ really isn’t harming you mate.

Yeah, its not really a new thing. Everybody wants to be a DJ, and there is nothing wrong in that, it is a great hobby

Great DJs are great no matter what they use, crap DJs are crap no matter what they use. This is true now, and it was always true.

What is different now is that people can play in public with a lot less experience, and they do in London bars anyway.

But the cream will always rise to the top.

[quote]TheAnt (03/11/2011)[hr]

What is different now is that people can play in public with a lot less experience, and they do in London bars anyway.

[/quote]

couldnt agree with you more!

Novelty djs tend to only be able to only work if everything is setup they want i.e. like in their bedrooms. You can spot a proper dj by how they mix / choose songs / dance / don’t look flustered if something technical goes wrong

[quote]ctdf (03/11/2011)[hr][quote]TheAnt (03/11/2011)[hr]
[/quote]

couldnt agree with you more!

Novelty djs tend to only be able to only work if everything is setup they want i.e. like in their bedrooms. You can spot a proper dj by how they mix / choose songs / dance / don’t look flustered if something technical goes wrong

[/quote]

What sticks in my craw, and I hear it a lot in bars, is two tracks playing at exactly the same speed, but just slighly out of sync. It is like tourture for me, my brain screams at me to put them in time. And when I look at the DJ, he is always staring at a laptop screen, mixing with his eyes not his ears.

95% of big dj’s just use cdj 2000s and a flash drive…that’s skill

[quote]P-Shot (03/11/2011)[hr]95% of big dj’s just use cdj 2000s and a flash drive…that’s skill[/quote]

78.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot. :wink:

[quote]TheAnt (03/11/2011)[hr][quote]P-Shot (03/11/2011)[hr]95% of big dj’s just use cdj 2000s and a flash drive…that’s skill[/quote]

78.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot. ;)[/quote]

67.5% of forum posts are bull**** :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Mussi81 (03/11/2011)[hr]

67.5% of forum posts are bull**** :P[/quote]

I would’ve guessed it was higher :cool:

[quote]TheAnt (03/11/2011)[hr][quote]Mussi81 (03/11/2011)[hr]

67.5% of forum posts are bull**** :P[/quote]

I would’ve guessed it was higher :cool:[/quote]

I spent hours researching this for national study :hehe:

[quote]Mussi81 (03/11/2011)[hr][quote]TheAnt (03/11/2011)[hr][quote]P-Shot (03/11/2011)[hr]95% of big dj’s just use cdj 2000s and a flash drive…that’s skill[/quote]

67.5% of Mussi81’s forum posts are bull**** :P[/quote]

Corrected your error

[quote]slender (03/11/2011)[hr][quote]Mussi81 (03/11/2011)[hr][quote]TheAnt (03/11/2011)[hr][quote]P-Shot (03/11/2011)[hr]95% of big dj’s just use cdj 2000s and a flash drive…that’s skill[/quote]

67.5% of Mussi81’s forum posts are bull**** :P[/quote]

Corrected your error[/quote]

It’s definitely much higher than that

[quote]jonsloan (03/11/2011)[hr]Jan perhaps you need to stop taking things so seriously.

Just do your thing, let other people do theirs. Everyone’s entitled to live the life they want to. Play the music they want to. Do the things they want to. So long as they don’t harm others. And, other people having fun ‘dj-ing’ really isn’t harming you mate.[/quote]

Totally agree - let people do what they want - rather kids pretend they are dj’s than selling crack or robing to buy it

The days of the elitism of being a dj or edm producer is over - I think its a good thing - sure there is a lot of wantabees out there with no talent - but so what your not forced to listen to them

I’ve always been jaded about djs.

But over time I’ve just learned to ignore them. As others said, life is for living. Gotta let people do what they want to do. My opinion only counts for me. So just roll with the punches and do whatever. I do giggle to myself as I watch as new guys enter the scene as DJs and proclaim to constantly be at the best parties at the best clubs. It’s quite entertaining to watch sometimes. Although it does piss me off sometimes, I take solace in the fact that most of them are far behind me in the production department.

SO just ignore them and focus on writing a new song.

60% of the time it works every time.

well im not taking anything seriously but im scared of it all becoming a bit of a joke. For example when people play in a band and say they wanna be rockstars you instantly think ooooh yerrr oook… What if that becomes the same if you say im DJing there or there…

I see what you’re trying to say Jan but I honestly don’t know or think it’s any more than it’s always been.

Anyways we all know on this forum that it’s not about DJing anymore, unless your Eddie Halliwell, Kutski, Carl Cox or James Zabelia then it’s really unlikey you’re really going to get any success without being a top class producer.

Keep doing what you do and loving it and let people ride their fad. The thing that they’ll soon come to realise it’s MUCH harder than people think to make it, and you actually have to want this with all your heart and be fully passionate, otherwise it’s easy to find yourself giving up… which most do.

Exactly.