Help needed! - Trance

Hey all Sonicacedemy members. I’ve been working on an idea i got the other day and would like your assistance to find out what to do with the lead. Maybe it’s the synth i dont know but i’m trying to figure out how i can put it into a nice break with a trancy sound to it. I really think this could be a Trance bomb if i could get it working.

Untitled by Philip Barkow

Oh and btw i’m quite a noob at the whole music producing thing still although i have seen a **** load of tutorials ;).

ps. i know the arranging sucks incredibly much but didnt put much more than 2mins into that. Just wanted to show u guys what it could sound like.

i just wanted u to hear some of the clips this is why the arranging sucks.

hey bunny,

first of i think the breakdown is really good. it almost has a cinematic soundscape feel to it. very polished sounding.

but when the lead synth comes in after the drop for me the energy level went down. i felt like you really built me up and didnt carry over strong enough from the breakdown.

i would just try to make a really high charged loop that starts after the breakdown. use a shorter notes for the lead and bring in the drum kit full. hope this helps .

also for just starting id say you have some skills, keep it up :slight_smile:

It’s hard to give advice on a snippet containing only a kick and two synth lines.

I would advise making a bassline and filling out your drums.

The synth patch does sound a bit dated to me but I don’t make trance so what do I know!  Its also very difficult to advise people on the sounds they choose to use as, after all, its an artistic decision. 

Good luck, it’s not bad for a beginner!

Hey,

Sounds really good man. I don’t think there’s necessarily anything wrong with the lead, perhaps the portamento could be lowered a bit, but that’s just a matter of taste anyway. Could be really nice with a pad underneath the chords during the buildup, and some details perhaps, to add that little extra.

I created a quick example of how I like to go about making the buildups. And added a more full-on part after it, just in case you’re unsure as to how you should go about making that part, or it could give you any inspiration or ideas. Quite a different style of trance though I reckon, but I hope you still can find it constructive somehow.

Random mp3 by NEYH!

[quote]eccentrica (18/06/2010)[hr]Hey,

Sounds really good man. I don’t think there’s necessarily anything wrong with the lead, perhaps the portamento could be lowered a bit, but that’s just a matter of taste anyway. Could be really nice with a pad underneath the chords during the buildup, and some details perhaps, to add that little extra.

I created a quick example of how I like to go about making the buildups. And added a more full-on part after it, just in case you’re unsure as to how you should go about making that part, or it could give you any inspiration or ideas. Quite a different style of trance though I reckon, but I hope you still can find it constructive somehow.

Random mp3 by NEYH![/quote]

Wow. U really got some amazing skills at this i can hear :). Awesome suggestion love the idea! U think u could help me with some other things in the track?

Thanks a lot! Sure, I’ll help you out. Gonna have to take it some other day though, since I’m heading out for the evening really soon.

Cheers!

Hey Bunny,

I’d mirror Tommy’s comments, such a nice breakdown, but the energy dips after the drop, it needs something, a full drumline and maybe a better lead, the lead sounds abit cheap after the gorgeous pads in the breakdown.  Maybe have a look at getting one of the vanguard VST’s, my mate makes trance and seems to use one of their synths alot to get out some nice trance flavours.

Great start though.

[quote]dannycueballtaylor (19/06/2010)[hr]Hey Bunny,

I’d mirror Tommy’s comments, such a nice breakdown, but the energy dips after the drop, it needs something, a full drumline and maybe a better lead, the lead sounds abit cheap after the gorgeous pads in the breakdown. Maybe have a look at getting one of the vanguard VST’s, my mate makes trance and seems to use one of their synths alot to get out some nice trance flavours.

Great start though.[/quote]

Thx alot. I get what u mean by the energy drops. I will look into it :).

Thx for the attention and comments.