Help Recreating this Synh

[url]Feed Me - Silicone Lube (Official Audio) - YouTube

Ive been trying to recreate a synth sound similar to this one the gliding one, i get close but still very far away

can anyone lead me towards a good direction?

Sorry, i don’t know… Looking for how to create a sound like that myself. It would be great if they could post a tech tip on how to do it!

[quote]jvsf (04/01/2011)[hr]Sorry, i don’t know… Looking for how to create a sound like that myself. It would be great if they could post a tech tip on how to do it![/quote]

Saw + Triangle + Saw + Portamento its missing something though :frowning:

[quote]Subject 1 (04/01/2011)[hr][quote]jvsf (04/01/2011)[hr]Sorry, i don’t know… Looking for how to create a sound like that myself. It would be great if they could post a tech tip on how to do it![/quote]

Saw + Triangle + Saw + Portamento its missing something though :([/quote]

I don’t know much about these things…but I would say there is an LFO applied too, possibly attached to a mod wheel. It sounds like retrig is not applied too. Both minor details, but it all ads up…Also, I could be wrong, but it sounds like one of the OSCs is slightly detuned?

Like I say, I’m a complete newb, so I’m probably way off. :unsure:

[quote]Subject 1 (04/01/2011)[hr][quote]jvsf (04/01/2011)[hr]Sorry, i don’t know… Looking for how to create a sound like that myself. It would be great if they could post a tech tip on how to do it![/quote]

Hey Subject… me & you are always listening to the same music. porter, skrillex, feed me.

good stuff. i like where ur ears are! I will try to help you take a stab at it… although my opinion is only limited to my own experience, so I hope it will help.

I’m working on a new electro track at the moment and I wanted a similar sound to this synth. The synth in the feed me song is kinda similar to the sound that wolfgang gartner uses in Illamerica. there is always a variation or 2 to it. and you can play with whatever ya want!

I did it by using the fxPansion synth Cypher and made an organ sound ( saw triangle saw or pulse triangle pulse) play with the ADSR making it a moderate sustain high attack low decay and low release. You could also just pick an organ preset and play with it. Basically the sound we are looking for is an organ sound with a whole bunch of FX.

I think The trick to getting the gliding from the notes is to apply lots of sidechain compresssion besides the portamello of course. I compress the f0ck out of sounds like this. sometimes even 2 compressors. 1 sidechained at the start of the FX chain and then after I make my eq changes, filter, whatever, I will throw another compressor on the chain without sidechaining it.

Another thing I learned recently is that a key FX for making the synth sound original is a vocoder. Throwing a vocoder onto the FX chain (if using ableton) allows you to bring out frequency points through the filter that make the sound unique.

what synth are you using for this subject?

[quote]dubVision (05/01/2011)[hr][quote]Subject 1 (04/01/2011)[hr][quote]jvsf (04/01/2011)[hr]Sorry, i don’t know… Looking for how to create a sound like that myself. It would be great if they could post a tech tip on how to do it![/quote]

Hey Subject… me & you are always listening to the same music. porter, skrillex, feed me.

good stuff. i like where ur ears are! I will try to help you take a stab at it… although my opinion is only limited to my own experience, so I hope it will help.

I’m working on a new electro track at the moment and I wanted a similar sound to this synth. The synth in the feed me song is kinda similar to the sound that wolfgang gartner uses in Illamerica. there is always a variation or 2 to it. and you can play with whatever ya want!

I did it by using the fxPansion synth Cypher and made an organ sound ( saw triangle saw or pulse triangle pulse) play with the ADSR making it a moderate sustain high attack low decay and low release. You could also just pick an organ preset and play with it. Basically the sound we are looking for is an organ sound with a whole bunch of FX.

I think The trick to getting the gliding from the notes is to apply lots of sidechain compresssion besides the portamello of course. I compress the f0ck out of sounds like this. sometimes even 2 compressors. 1 sidechained at the start of the FX chain and then after I make my eq changes, filter, whatever, I will throw another compressor on the chain without sidechaining it.

Another thing I learned recently is that a key FX for making the synth sound original is a vocoder. Throwing a vocoder onto the FX chain (if using ableton) allows you to bring out frequency points through the filter that make the sound unique.

[/quote]

Yeah i noticed we have an ear for the same stuff :smiley:

I don’t understand how i can make some comple sounds (resample) but cant do something simple…

Damn i didnt even think of using the DCAM Synth Squad stuff i was using my Minimoog :smiley: imma try opening up my Synth Squad for once :smiley: i dont really have any presets i seem to delete them as i like producing my own sounds and learning :smiley: thats just how i am…

Hmm never thought of using the vocoder imma give that a try :smiley:

I havent finished nay of my tracks since i want them to be perfect well atleast to my ears and ive been practicing resampling for 8 months now so now :smiley: so i haven’t done much but i really want to lay down the ideas i have in my head down

Thanks for replying man :smiley:

[quote]Subject 1 (06/01/2011)[hr][quote]dubVision (05/01/2011)[hr][quote]Subject 1 (04/01/2011)[hr][quote]jvsf (04/01/2011)[hr]Sorry, i don’t know… Looking for how to create a sound like that myself. It would be great if they could post a tech tip on how to do it![/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah i noticed we have an ear for the same stuff :smiley:

I don’t understand how i can make some comple sounds (resample) but cant do something simple…

Damn i didnt even think of using the DCAM Synth Squad stuff i was using my Minimoog :smiley: imma try opening up my Synth Squad for once :smiley: i dont really have any presets i seem to delete them as i like producing my own sounds and learning :smiley: thats just how i am…

Hmm never thought of using the vocoder imma give that a try :smiley:

I havent finished nay of my tracks since i want them to be perfect well atleast to my ears and ive been practicing resampling for 8 months now so now :smiley: so i haven’t done much but i really want to lay down the ideas i have in my head down

Thanks for replying man :smiley:

[/quote]

yeah man i feel ya on creating your own stuff. i usually do the same!

just was tryin 2 give you the quick route.

and about vocoders… I was reading a book I have on production and was reading the section on vocoders and how they work, etc… since a Vocoder is essentially just a filter, I thought to myself why not use this on more of my sounds to make em sound different. this works out pretty well actually and not just for higher end synths. Try throwing a vocoder onto a crazy bassline synth and play with it. you will get some wild results. I have been workin on an electro track the past 2 weeks and it really changed up my bassline for the better just adding the vocoder. you can draw the points in on ableton and really hear some wild differences in sound.