Homestudio Project

Okey so i have tried make my room into more of a home studio as good as i can.br
bought alot of sound absorbers Monitorstands, new speakers etc.br
br
I will post up a link to the Pictures if anyone is interested.br
Made a HUGE difference!br
br
Have done some test with REW but as its my first time using it ive made a few misstakes so i dont think i will put up the Charts for that.br
br
[url]Dropbox - Error

Looks great! did you notice much difference in the detail of the sound etc?

[quote]phil johnston (01/04/2013)[hr]Looks great! did you notice much difference in the detail of the sound etc?[/quote]br
br
YEAH no kidding, i remember a post you wrote about a year ago “if you have 3k to spend on speakers spend 2k on speakers and 1k on room acoustic” Now i really understand why. Everything, the stereo imagine , the details. It really makes a huge difference im pretty convinced that my mixes will start getting so much better now.br
br
Thinking about getting a sub but my room is not that big so idk if its a good idea, what do you think?br
br

ive been thinking about a sub myself.br
br
the only problem i see is the control of it. any monitor controllers with proper sub management are pretty expensive.br
br
so you would end up having it always on unless you can get a sub with a footswitch bypass. KRK do one with a bypass.br
br
Unfortunately the dynaudio one to match my speakers doesn’t so not sure what to do.

[quote]phil johnston (02/04/2013)br
so you would end up having it always on unless you can get a sub with a footswitch bypass. KRK do one with a bypass.br
[/quote]br
br
I have been looking at the KRK 12s, it have tested really good and it have that foot switch that you need. The thing is that the 12s is really big(dont know if that really matters that much) They also said in the test that it works really good with all kinds of monitors. So thats why. They also did an even better one 12sHO but for twice the money. Check out the review and see what you think [url]http://www.thomann.de/se/prod_review_28375_AR_236258.html[/url]br
Its 800€ but if it works great in my room it will be worth it for me!:cool:

i have the a7x’s w a sub. i highly recommend it if you’re room can handle a sub w/o lots of rattling.br
br
i am in love w the adams tho :slight_smile:

[quote]Skylight (02/04/2013)[hr]i have the a7x’s w a sub. i highly recommend it if you’re room can handle a sub w/o lots of rattling.br
br
i am in love w the adams tho :)[/quote]br
What kind of sub do you have skylight?br
br
I dont know if it can handle a big sub but hey, mby i should just buy it and try it!br
br
the adams was a huge step up from my M-audio bx5 monitors They are so much more detailed. Really like them havent tried that many good monitors doh. But i feel like its a great investment, super happy!

nice work lonewolf. i’d be interested to check out your REW results tho. i found dialing things in with REW was alot of work but worth it.br
br
re: subs i have a focal sub6 in a 10’x12’ room with treatment. there is debate whether subs make sense in small rooms however a good audio professional friend of mine recommended i get a sub for dance music even though i have a small room. it is mainly for ‘feel’ and occasionally used to check bass. however, i don’t end up using it much except towards the end of finishing a track. imo a sub is nice to have but definately not necessary.br
br
also, my sub has a crossover which i ended up needing to make it work with the solo6’s. something to keep in mind if you ever get a sub. i had to use REW to dial in the crossover and get good results.

Thanks cosmic_artistry ,i bet those are beautiful speakers!br
what kind of sub did you end up buying?br
br
My room is 5x3.25x2.12 meters br
sure i can upload some of the rew if you like. The problem is i made some misstakes when i used it i changed a few settings as i learned the program so my first “recording” didnt have the same settings as the last one. But i think there are som good stuff still in there.br
br
How did you use rew to place the sub? and crossover freq? would be really interesting to hear how u did that.

i have the focal 6be sub. it was very pricey tho. it has a phase knob, a level knob, low pass and a hi pass switch to send either everything above 75 hz or 100 hz to the solo 6’s (6" cones/tweeters). all my DAC audio out goes into the sub and the sub distributes to the solo 6’s.br
br
it’s been awhile but for phase i recall simply playing a deep sine wave and i watched the input levels until i got the loudest volume (the sub and solos were then in phase).br
br
for the sub level, low pass and hi pass to solo 6’s i basically had to play with settings and take measurements in REW. i found i got the best results hi passing 100 hz to the solo 6’s and the low pass for the sub set a tad over 100 hz. REW also helped me adjust level. btw, bass is great at listening position but i notice at the back of the room bass is heavy.br
br
also, i messed about placing the sub in a few locations. the sub is rear ported so i had to keep it away from the wall. i found that the sub works fine under my desk off to the left or right a tad.

[quote]cosmic_artistry (04/04/2013)[hr]i have the focal 6be sub. it was very pricey tho. it has a phase knob, a level knob, low pass and a hi pass switch to send either everything above 75 hz or 100 hz to the solo 6’s (6" cones/tweeters). all my DAC audio out goes into the sub and the sub distributes to the solo 6’s.br
br
it’s been awhile but for phase i recall simply playing a deep sine wave and i watched the input levels until i got the loudest volume (the sub and solos were then in phase).br
br
for the sub level, low pass and hi pass to solo 6’s i basically had to play with settings and take measurements in REW. i found i got the best results hi passing 100 hz to the solo 6’s and the low pass for the sub set a tad over 100 hz. REW also helped me adjust level. btw, bass is great at listening position but i notice at the back of the room bass is heavy.br
br
also, i messed about placing the sub in a few locations. the sub is rear ported so i had to keep it away from the wall. i found that the sub works fine under my desk off to the left or right a tad.[/quote]br
br
Cheers braah will have a deeper look into it as soon as i buy a sub! wich will probably be next month.br
Hey, if you like to chat more about this or production add me on skype

Hey lonewolf,br
br
I have the krk10 with a bypass swtch. Highly recommend it.:slight_smile: br
br
I sounds good for the price as well. Your room looks awesome so I’m sure it will sound nice. br
br
Wouldn’t be a bad idea to get/make some bass traps with it!!br
br
br
br

[quote]Skylight (21/04/2013)[hr]Hey lonewolf,br
br
br
I sounds good for the price as well. Your room looks awesome so I’m sure it will sound nice. br
br
br
br
br
[/quote]br
br
br
Awesome, Ive been looking into buying the krk 12 sub but dont know if its just the size that differs from them. But the 12 is newer and think the drivers is made out of some other material. But the 10 is almost half the price and if they have the "same sound"i would rater buy Krk 10sbr
Thank you, i think the outcome of the room was great! i have bass traps 2 in every corner if you check carefully, The pictures are kind of dark so they kind of blend all together. br
Or did you think about diffrent basstraps. this is the kind i have [url]http://www.thomann.de/se/the_takustik_cbt_37.htm[/url]br
Oh and is it True bypass on the krk 10? would be fantastic if i could just buy the 10 and get the same quality of sound as the 12. and save me loads of money!br

[quote]lonewolf (21/04/2013)[hr][quote]Skylight (21/04/2013)[hr]Hey lonewolf,br
br
br
br
br
br
br
[/quote]br
br
br
Awesome, Ive been looking into buying the krk 12 sub but dont know if its just the size that differs from them. But the 12 is newer and think the drivers is made out of some other material. But the 10 is almost half the price and if they have the "same sound"i would rater buy Krk 10sbr
Thank you, i think the outcome of the room was great! i have bass traps 2 in every corner if you check carefully, The pictures are kind of dark so they kind of blend all together. br
Or did you think about diffrent basstraps. this is the kind i have [url]http://www.thomann.de/se/the_takustik_cbt_37.htm[/url]br
Oh and is it True bypass on the krk 10? would be fantastic if i could just buy the 10 and get the same quality of sound as the 12. and save me loads of money!br
[/quote]br
br
br
br
Those bass traps look really nice, good call on those. br
br
I don’t know how much a difference is between the krk 10 and 12. I just bought the 10 cause i didn’t think the 12 was necessary for me. br
br
It has true bypass and its awesome for mixing at night when others are sleeping.br
i use this Roland FS-5L Metal Footswitch with it.br
br
Maybe starting with the 10 is a good idea cause you’re in a smaller room. I think the 12 would be better in a bigger room. but starting with the 10 test it out and keep it or return it and try the 12. I think you’ll be happy with the 10 though.

Okey my friend, i trust you :smiley: i orderd KRK 10s last friday so hopefully it will arrive this comming week! im excited. Just a bit worried on how to place it correct

Great man!!! :smiley: br
br
I’m glad you went with the 10! I’m sure you’ll be happy with it. Make sure you buy a bypass switch since it won’t come with one. Hope it goes well for you man!!! :smiley: br
br
Post some pics when its set up!!

Its up and running! have configure it , sound pretty good not boomy or anything! But might have placed it wrong cuz its just to my left. will post a pic later this week! but it sounded to boomy to have in the middle under the table.

AwEsOmE!!! :D:D br
br
br
I’m glad it is sounding nice for you! yeah just keep experimenting with positioning till you find the sweet spot!!! I’m really happy you are comfortable with the recommendation!!br
br
cheers dude! I’m excited to check out the bottom end of your future songs!