How do I make this drum sound?

If you listen quickly to the track below, straight from the off, in between the beats there is like, a low tom sound. At least I think thats what it is. Most of the time in a 1 bar loop its placed just before the 2nd beat and in the middle of the 3rd and 4th to give the track sort of a push & pull effect. Its used in a lot of progressive/mainroom house tunes, but it’s really obvious in this one so I’ll just put this up as the example. Can anyone tell me exactly what it is? How to re-create it and make it swell up like that, is it synth or sample? I’ve gone through every low drum percussion sound I have and I cant find one that sounds like this. Doing my head a bit now. Cheers lads really appreciate any help :smiley:

Hes got a machinedrum. In the FM vids you can see him programming tom sounds… might be that.

Slightly different than normal toms… maybe a bit more digital? Dunno. just saying that might be why you cant find the exact ones.

Machinedrum is 12bit (I think) so a bit of redux, or bitcrusher might help.

All guessing here mate! :smiley:

Also… he likes using loops. He has Izotope promatik sampler thing… and loads in loops & takes the hit or 2 that he likes from it… so it could be something from that area either.

Check it on YT - if you dont have the disk… its up. TG in the studio

Nice one mate, I’ll have a look now cheers :smiley:

ICN, you know if there’s any way to get hold of really old issues of FM? Like the Thomas Gold one or the Steve Angello one, gutted I missed those

No probs man… in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king :smiley:

I’ve heard that they are doing them to DL for Ipads/Iphones/whatever. The vids arent with them… but maybe you can find the old issues.

Do they actually do back issues? Maybe email them.

Also, they come up on Ebay - so check it out :slight_smile: