How do you Add/Remove a song from a Mix on Ableton?

Hello Wizards…

I been laying down mixes in Ableton (Arrangement Mode) for almost 2 years now. Usually I plan my mix so I know the order I wanna lay down my mix.

However, if I ever wanna add or remove a song it’s a pain and if you don’t do it right it can mess everything up.

I got asked to make a 30 min demo mix for a real radio station here in LA. I made it last night but if I get the gig, I’ll have to make mixes every week and adding/removing tracks will be a pain.

How do you guys do it? What’s the easiest way?

Thanks!

• Woody

back when everyone was using turntables and soundforge lol i just use to cut the mix out in sound for or add the new track in sound forge.

i’ll try and explain this as best as i can :slight_smile:

so i’ve recorded the mix and i am happy with how it sounds but one of the tracks in the middle of the mix i want to change. all i used to do was record another 3 track mix.

re-record the track before the one i wanted to remove, the replacement track and the track after the replacement track. after this i would open both sessions in sound forge. select a loop point in the original mix (say from the break in track 1 to the break in track 3) and delete this section, the take the loop from the same pointers in the second mix copy and paste this loop back into the original mix, replacing the track and still keeping it a fault less mix.

Sorry but this kinda thing really gets up my nose. It’s like using a drum machine and telling people you’re a drummer.

[quote]roben (7/24/2009)[hr]Sorry but this kinda thing really gets up my nose. It’s like using a drum machine and telling people you’re a drummer.[/quote]

totally agree :slight_smile:

i should have put that i never used to do this with my own mixes, just mixes that guys used to ask me to correct.

i even had one guy that would do about 3 or four takes on every mix and get me to piece together a flawless mix for him so he could give it to club promoters lol

always used to make me laugh, he would always complain that he got the set through his mixes but then never got any calls back after he had played in the club.

[quote]jon_fisher (7/24/2009)[hr]
i even had one guy that would do about 3 or four takes on every mix and get me to piece together a flawless mix for him so he could give it to club promoters lol
[/quote]

Absolute farce.

always used to make me laugh, he would always complain that he got the set through his mixes but then never got any calls back after he had played in the club.[/quote]

If you can’t even do flawless mixing 99% of the time at home on a familiar set up then you’ve no chance in a club as the environment is completely different.

Anyways sorry to thread jack. I get a bit overly opinionated about this subject so i’ll shush now lol. :slight_smile:

No no no!!! You guys are getting the wrong idea. Maybe I need to explain my self again. I KNOW HOW TO DJ, I KNOW HOW TO ARRANGE… That’s not the problem.

Look at the picture below.

Now, lets say I finished my 30 min mix. The station’s PD comes back and says, HEY WOODY, YOU GOTTA TAKE OUT THE SHAKIRA SONG. That song is in the middle of my mix. If I replace it with another song, I have to move everything around and try to beatmatch that section again. If I don’t do it carefully that can screw up the rest of the mixes.

The way I fix it now is kinda weird, but it works. I’m just asking for any techniques/ideas on making this easier. That’s all. Mixing it live would be ideal,st, but sometimes they’ll ask to remove certain songs and I’ll have to remix the whole thing again. Not very convenient (unless I’m in a hurry and hope everything comes out perfect in one take!). lol

Is there a way to group clips? like lets say just group all the songs to the left of the Shakira track so that if I move them, they won’t get screwed up?

Hope it all make sense now.

ok bud i have no idea how to do that with ableton lol i wasn’t having a pop at you as i know that a high % of radio dj’s do exactly what you are wanting to do.

[quote]roben (7/24/2009)[hr][quote]jon_fisher (7/24/2009)[hr]

[/quote]

Absolute farce.

always used to make me laugh, he would always complain that he got the set through his mixes but then never got any calls back after he had played in the club.[/quote]

If you can’t even do flawless mixing 99% of the time at home ona familiar set upthen you’ve no chance in a club as the environment is completely different.

Anyways sorry to thread jack. I get a bit overly opinionated about this subject so i’ll shush now lol. :)[/quote]

i know that sorta thing is a farce roben, but when they are paying customers then you never tell them that to their faces lol i hated doing it almost as much as i hated selling R&B and 2Step in the shop :smiley: but it paid the bills

[quote]jon_fisher (7/24/2009)[hr]ok bud i have no idea how to do that with ableton lol i wasn’t having a pop at you as i know that a high % of radio dj’s do exactly what you are wanting to do.[/quote]

Hehehe, no biggie!!! :smiley:

kinda off topic but similar request here…

i’ve been wanting to know for a while how to record a track into ableton just like how woody has shown in the screenshot. i.e a full length song of my choice in 1 audio clip so i can kinda mimic the layout arrangement of it for example 1st section, breakdown etc etc

it would save me the hassle of playing a tune in media player and then writing down the timings of when new elements are added to the track!!

cheers

create audio clip and drop the track into the arrange view mate :slight_smile: