How do you make a swishy/swirly build up sound?

Hi everyone.

I would like to know how to make a swishy/swirly sound that you hear when a tune/beat builds up and is about to take off/drop if that makes sense?

I’ve just started useing cubase and i sorta know the basics but i would be really greatfull if someone could give me a step by step guide on how to do this.

Try these :slight_smile:

http://www.zenhiser.com/dl/rise-falls-fx.html

Also what kind of music are you making?

yea ive been having trouble with this also…i have a basic swirl but as i say it is basic :smiley:

Thanks for the replies.

Im making mainly house but i also like to mess around with break beat n stuff.

Someone told me once that to make the swirl sound it was something to do with white noise??

The link I gave gives you a really good variety of sounds which are great to use when you’re just starting out as well as when you’re pro. It’s not uncommon to use layers of noises. So these can help a lot.

A more professional approach however is to take a single white noise sound audio (or via modulation on your synth) and then automate the transpose/volumes/LFOs/etc.

You can also do this with synth/string noises.

Takes time but sounds better over all when done right.

Check out the Swedish House Mafia and Mark Knight videos.

Here’s a simple one to get you started that you can do with any synth. Make yourself a white noise with included filter automation. Now slap a phaser on that sound and play with the gate, speed, and whatnot. You’ll get quite a few nice bubbly, poppy, bouncy fx out of it just by muckin round with it. Also, you can add on another osc a sine wave to have a note undertone so its not just noise :wink: . Play around, its the only way. Just like trying to copy a track for practice, try copying sounds… FX ARE YOUR FRIEND!!!

Raymond