How Far Can Your Production Go Without Being A Musician?

For the members who have never played an instrument and got into music production, how far do your think your production can go? Do you think that knowing Music Theory well enough will give you the possibility to make good tunes Constantly? Can anyone name me producers that admit to only knowing Music Theory? Just Curious

I can’t comment on whether there are producers who would say they only know music theory, but I am someone who knows a lot of theory and doesn’t produce (dance music). I will say that I think that theory is largely misunderstood by most artists in all genres and styles.

Music theory is simply a way to describe why music sounds the way it does, not a guidebook that tells you how music should sound. In order for theory to help you write better music, you have to understand what the theory is describing. By analogy, learning physics can help you play football better, but does that mean every physicist is a great footballer? Stephen Hawkings jokes aside, the answer is clearly “no”. Football is just an application of physics.

Instruments are an application of music theory. The more tonal you want to sound, the more you’re going to have to use some sort of an instrument, but I don’t think this means having to use your hands. Do ear training a little every day and you won’t need a traditional instrument, your head will be your instrument.

That said, music (tonal) theory is way overrated in dance music. The interest is more rhythmic and textural than harmonic.

Warbread nails it there precisely!

All the way! look at tiesto and guetta :hehe:

O man! Great Answer. Although I do agree on having great ear training. I find it difficult to come up with catchy melodies or properly compose songs without playing a guitar, piano, etc. I am sure Guetta and Tiesto have had a lot of experience in playing something. I can’t imagine Guetta coming in the Studio and working with Fergie and not knowing the proper chord scales for her to hit.

I believe Armin van Buuren once said that he cant read notes, he only knows how to stay in key and how to create some chords. Music theory is a nice addition to your knowledge but you can get very far without knowing that much. Knowing the basics just makes it a lot easier.

[quote]djstoli (01/12/2011)[hr]O man! Great Answer. Although I do agree on having great ear training. I find it difficult to come up with catchy melodies or properly compose songs without playing a guitar, piano, etc. I am sure Guetta and Tiesto have had a lot of experience in playing something. I can’t imagine Guetta coming in the Studio and working with Fergie and not knowing the proper chord scales for her to hit.[/quote]

Guetta has people write his songs for him…

There are quite a few musicians that haven’t learnt to read music.

I know this guys from Holland:

And I think Mussi was joking, cause Guetta and Tiesto have ghostwriters that do quite a lot of work for them.

True but at least Tiesto has some good tracks, I don’t think Ive ever heard a decent Guetta track… also Tiesto is a solid DJ so he gets an extra point:D

I’ve heard tons of top producers say they never played any instruments, or can’t play the keyboard. Sidney samson, SHM (minus ingrosso), Skrillex, Avicii, just off the top of my head

Skrillex has had tons of vocal training though, From First to Last anyone?

When it boils down to it, music production is just a sh!t ton of F*king around within whatever program you’re using.

Knowledge of music theory shortens this time slightly, but it isnt a trade secret or anything that as soon as you know music theory you can create bangers…

I bet you out of all the producers in the world, the top ones, lets say skrillex for example, is up their because he’s spent the most time (or close to) mastering his DAW and making tracks. There is no shortcuts, or else we’d all have our own labels and 5 grammy nominations under our belt. :stuck_out_tongue:

I personally believe, that the more you know the better you will be. Having an understanding of music only makes you a better musician. From knowing what key your in instantly as opposed to pressing random keys on the keyboard till you get a “hey that’s sounds cool” moment.

I wish I played an instrument as a kid, having said that I still took piano lessons playing against 4 to 5 year old prodigies, which made me look like a neanderthal behind a piano.

Same as you dynobot, wish I’d played an instrument from a young age - didn’t think it was cool at the time; utterly regretting that now!

That said, I don’t think it holds me back. I think I’ve got an ear for music and know what sounds good/right - even if I can explain what it is musical terms.

I’d love to learn more about musical theory though, I think I’d find it very useful when working on music - it’s just finding the time to learn about it. I struggle sometimes to find time to work on my productions as it is (alongside work, general life, etc.)…

[quote]dynobot (07/12/2011)[hr]I personally believe, that the more you know the better you will be. Having an understanding of music only makes you a better musician. From knowing what key your in instantly as opposed to pressing random keys on the keyboard till you get a “hey that’s sounds cool” moment.

[/quote]

+1 :wink:

music theory is a must. Playing an instrument doesn’t matter